Mail from USA to Punta Cana-How Long??

Jackie1214

Nov 1, 2005
How long does the mail take from USA to Punta Cana? Oncve I sent a letter from Punta Cana to the US (in 2002) and it took over two months

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Lucky You

Jackie1214 said:
How long does the mail take from USA to Punta Cana? Oncve I sent a letter from Punta Cana to the US (in 2002) and it took over two months

I'm still waiting for some pictures that were mailed a year and a half ago. Well not waiting, I gave up long ago!, Never use Dominican mail!

Sep 19, 2005
does anyone know if you have an account with EPS, does it take just as long? Basically I am asking is it a hangup politically affiliated , or is it logistics soley. I was told it should only take 10 days. But that was from the woman who helped me open my EPS account. And thus far i havent sent anything.....bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
does anyone know if you have an account with EPS, does it take just as long? Basically I am asking is it a hangup politically affiliated , or is it logistics soley. I was told it should only take 10 days. But that was from the woman who helped me open my EPS account. And thus far i havent sent anything.....bob
I don't quite understand what you are asking? EPS bypasses the Dominican Postal Service. They use private shipping between their offices in the DR and Miami, with either USPS or other means within the US. I have usually received items in the DR about 3 days after they were forwarded by EPS from Miami.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I opened this up because just this morning I received notification from the Santiago Post Office that a package sent from the Virgin Islands in August had arrived....:p:p

EPS is the most expensive of the mail services. Business Mail is one of the less expensive and is just as efficient.

The recent hurricane Wilma closed down the Miami airport for a week so there is some back up to be handled..

Mail? Huh!!

HB :D:D

Edited to add: I just checked the postmark and it was sent on July 11 2005, so three almost four months from the USVI to here. (A one hour plane flight.....LOL)

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Hillbilly said:
I opened this up because just this morning I received notification from the Santiago Post Office that a package sent from the Virgin Islans in August had arrived....:p:p
HB :D:D
Please let us know if there is still anything in the package when you pick it up.

Sep 19, 2005
HOWMAR said:
I don't quite understand what you are asking? EPS bypasses the Dominican Postal Service. They use private shipping between their offices in the DR and Miami, with either USPS or other means within the US. I have usually received items in the DR about 3 days after they were forwarded by EPS from Miami.

basically I was redefining the question some, to be more specific . In that does the slow mail apply to commercial mail as well as "regular mail"

IE is it the s l o w domincan goverment mail operations that causes the delay. Or is it the process of ANYTHING that comes into the country gets tied up in inspections and or red tape....as in a package or letter that goes through the private company like E.P.S......bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
basically I was redefining the question some, to be more specific . In that does the slow mail apply to commercial mail as well as "regular mail"

IE is it the s l o w domincan goverment mail operations that causes the delay. Or is it the process of ANYTHING that comes into the country gets tied up in inspections and or red tape....as in a package or letter that goes through the private company like E.P.S......bob
The private companies, whether it be EPS, Business Mail, FedEX, UPS, DHL, or any of the others are usually quite efficient. It is when the Dominican Postal Service gets involved that the wheels fall off. There was a time last month when customs was holding up all shipments by the private carriers, but that was resolved when they agreed to certain documentation requirements as to value of the items being imported.

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
bienamor said:
I'm still waiting for some pictures that were mailed a year and a half ago. Well not waiting, I gave up long ago!, Never use Dominican mail!

Never use Dominican mail????
I would change that to NEVER use US mail.
I have a postal box here in LaRomana and recieve regular mail from Canada, England and the US.
Mail from Can. and England takes an average of 5 to 10 days to reach my PO box.
That being the case, why in the H*** does it always take 45 to 60 days for a letter to arrive from the States and a similar time for delivery to the States.
Obviously, the problem is with the American Postal Service, not the Dominican Postal Service.
Try putting the blame where it belongs
Ken

To clarify, I also lived in another Caribbean country for many years and the mail from Can. and the UK took an average of 4 to 7 days to reach me while US mail took 21 to 45 days to reach me, now, you tell me which mail service is at fault.

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
buseouno said:
I have a postal box here in LaRomana and recieve regular mail from Canada, England and the US.
That being the case, why in the H*** does it always take 45 to 60 days for a letter to arrive from the States and a similar time for delivery to the States.
Obviously, the problem is with the American Postal Service, not the Dominican Postal Service.
Ken
And the USPS is part of the conspiracy to kill JFK. Why is mail between the US and almost everyother country of the world, except maybe Iran, Libya, North Korea and Cuba, flowing unimpeded Yet you maintain that the USPS is slowing down the mail to the DR. Are they the reason that it takes 3 weeks to deliver a letter from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo. Lets keep the blame where it belongs. Possibly it takes longer to rifle through all the packages from the US by the Dominican Postal workers?

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Just one question

buseouno said:
Ken

To clarify, I also lived in another Caribbean country for many years and the mail from Can. and the UK took an average of 4 to 7 days to reach me while US mail took 21 to 45 days to reach me, now, you tell me which mail service is at fault.

If the Mail system in the DR is sooooo great how come every company here has their own delivery service, (maybe not every company only those that want their bill delivered(Verizon, Banco Popular, Telecable etc)? Mail from the US arrives incountry in about 3 days god only knows what happens to it after that, because I sure don't.

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
bienamor said:
If the Mail system in the DR is sooooo great how come every company here has their own delivery service, (maybe not every company only those that want their bill delivered(Verizon, Banco Popular, Telecable etc)? Mail from the US arrives incountry in about 3 days god only knows what happens to it after that, because I sure don't.

You can say the exact same thing about the USPS, if they are soooooooo great, why the dozens or maybe hundreds of private delivery sevices.
I'm only quoting from a mere 23 years experience of US mail being delivered to me weeks late while mail from other countries get delivered in days.
Are you saying the postal service in 2 different countries here in the Caribbean are holding up ONLY US mail???
They must also hold up outgoing US mail and not mail for other countries, as my outgoing mail to other countries arrive in days while mail to the US takes weeks.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Dozens on private companys,yes

buseouno said:
You can say the exact same thing about the USPS, if they are soooooooo great, why the dozens or maybe hundreds of private delivery sevices.
I'm only quoting from a mere 23 years experience of US mail being delivered to me weeks late while mail from other countries get delivered in days.
Are you saying the postal service in 2 different countries here in the Caribbean are holding up ONLY US mail???
They must also hold up outgoing US mail and not mail for other countries, as my outgoing mail to other countries arrive in days while mail to the US takes weeks.

But the private companies are a little different, UPS, DHL, FEDx, etc. NOT individule company's such as your electric, phone, gas, etc. none of those have private delivery such as the DR does. The old CODETEL tried this years ago, but kept finding too many bills in the Ozama river. I can't even get local mail delivered here in Santo Domingo, In 15 years, I can only remember seeing about 4 Dominican Postal delivery people.
You seem to have execptional luck! I have a box at the end of El Conde, and only have non critical stuff sent there, normally empty, as I said If you want a guarantee of it getting you, use and internationl delivery service, no matter what country its coming from or going to.

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
bienamor said:
But the private companies are a little different, UPS, DHL, FEDx, etc. NOT individule company's such as your electric, phone, gas, etc. none of those have private delivery such as the DR does. The old CODETEL tried this years ago, but kept finding too many bills in the Ozama river. I can't even get local mail delivered here in Santo Domingo, In 15 years, I can only remember seeing about 4 Dominican Postal delivery people.
You seem to have execptional luck! I have a box at the end of El Conde, and only have non critical stuff sent there, normally empty, as I said If you want a guarantee of it getting you, use and internationl delivery service, no matter what country its coming from or going to.

I agree with you that an International delivery service is probably the best way to go, especially if your recieving the bulk of your mail from the US.
My basic point was don't slam the Dominican postal sevice as the ONLY culprit in the poor mail delivery, but, during my 23 years living in the Caribbean (24 years in 2 months), in 2 different countries, it's been my experience that mail from the US has always taken 3 to 5 times longer for delivery, no matter if it's coming or going, and that can't all be a coincidence.
I have to admit, I have very little experience with the internal mail delivery within the DR apart from tel bills etc. which never seem to go astray.
Maybe we're all going about this the wrong way, all American mail should have a little Canadian flag on it, then the postal service will assume it's money for a Sankie and speed it on it's way.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
buseouno said:
I agree with you that an International delivery service is probably the best way to go, especially if your recieving the bulk of your mail from the US.
My basic point was don't slam the Dominican postal sevice as the ONLY culprit in the poor mail delivery, but, during my 23 years living in the Caribbean (24 years in 2 months), in 2 different countries, it's been my experience that mail from the US has always taken 3 to 5 times longer for delivery, no matter if it's coming or going, and that can't all be a coincidence.
I have to admit, I have very little experience with the internal mail delivery within the DR apart from tel bills etc. which never seem to go astray.
Maybe we're all going about this the wrong way, all American mail should have a little Canadian flag on it, then the postal service will assume it's money for a Sankie and speed it on it's way.
But I wouldn't make the USPS the culprit also. Ther are many other agencies involved in the international movement of mail such as the US Customs Service, Dominican Customs, US Drug Enforcement Agency, US Treasury Dept., US Department of Agriculture, Department of Homeland Security as a blanket Dept. for some of these and others. Who knows what causes the delay. Maybe you are on a watch list?

Last edited:

buseouno

Feb 22, 2005
HOWMAR said:
But I wouldn't make the USPS the culprit also. Ther are many other agencies involved in the international movement of mail such as the US Service, Dominican Custom, US Drug Enforcement Agency, US Treasury Dept., US Department of Agriculture, Department of Homeland Security as a blanket Dept. for some of these and others. Who knows what causes the delay. Maybe you are on a watch list?

Very good point, the DR is, or at least was, a major drug transhipment point as well as the previous Island I lived in, and NOOOOOOOOOOOO I am not in that business nor remotely associated as far as I know with anyone in that business.
HMMMM, I did play golf with the Prime Minister a couple of times, and his black sheep brother was known to be in that business, OH!OH!
No, if I was on a watch list, then all of you Americans must also be, as your the ones originally complaining about poor mail delivery.
Anyway, guys and dolls, we could debate this one until the mail finally gets delivered, and nothing will change.
Waiting by my PO box,
Ken