Home security

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Folks, it appears that I am getting close to deciding on a 2nd home in POP. I've got a few lined up for viewing, and do hope that, if circumstances are right, possibly even leaving a deposit on a place before I return home to the states. Of course several issues are now taking on a greater degree of importance, and I would like some help in coming to fruition on some of those issues. One of the most important is security.

I have read posts, some more recently, regarding security for homes in the area, e.g., gun, dog, etc. But, what about for those people who own there but do not live there? Is it sensible to hire security to monitor the place in my absence and, if so, does anyone have any leads on such firms/agencies that I could contact? I don't want a live in housekeeper type of arrangement as I am usually not fond of having someone in my home when I am there, much less when I am not; unless someone knows of someone who is reliable and trustworthy, and I know I am asking a hell of a lot in that case. However, I can accept paying someone to stand guard outside during the night to protect the property. Additionally, how does someone who lives outside of the DR pay for such services? Is money transferred from account to account, or what? Also, I would definitely be interested in the installation of a home security system. Any leads on that?

I would like, as well, to hire someone on a part time basis to clean the home after I've arrived to visit, as well as prior to my departure. Is there such a thing there in POP?

Any help, as usual, is most appreciated. Tony

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tony, depends somewhat on where the house is located. If in a so called gated community it is one thing, if in a regular neighborhood, the response to the question will be different.

In Sosua there are people who manage property for absentee owners and assume you can also find somebody in Puerto Plata. Your realtor is one person you can ask for references. These people do whatever they are instructed to do, if only arrange to have it cleaned before you arrive.

If located in a complex, there is probably somebody in the office that does this.

Are you leaning toward buying in an area where people like yourself have homes, or are you going into a basically Dominican area? It would help if we knew what your thinking is.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Ken, my apologies for not being more specific. I am looking at a few places in the POP area; more specifically Costambar, Torre Alta, and within a few blocks of the Malecon. Obviously Costambar isn't so much an issue, but certainly around the Malecon and, after reading several incidences within Torre Alta, that area as well. Thanks.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
In Torre Alta as well as on Malecon ( around ), you will find that most people live there on permanent basis.
In your favour here, is that everyone in Torre Alta for example, have maids.
People they trust, and that most surely have worked for several years.
This would mean you can get great recommendations there, and no one would give you a bad recommendation, as they live there as well.
As for guards, most of the houses have a night guard, usually a Haitian they have hired themselves and sometimes/often more trustworthy than a company. ( You might have seen the company watchmen, sleeping outside banks etc at night..LOL )...
As for payment, it is usually twice a month, 15th and 31st.
Best is to arrange with a neighbour or friend to handle that and also to make visits in your house at least once a week, as well as being the contact if something urgent happens.

I don´t think you will find these arrangements to be a problem for you, and you don´t need someone to live in your house.
You can have automatic lights to be turned on a certain hour, or from the outside by the night guard.

I don´t think you need a home security system, at least not in Torre Alta, if it is any of the parts of Torre Alta that are not the new constructions.
In the other parts, the houses are very, very close and security such as steelbars, electronic gates etc are built in from scratch.
If steelbars etc is missing, you might want to check on that though, change all locks etc in case of a purchase.