Area Code 829

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Does anybody know when and where the new area code 829 will be applied?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
It is going to be assigned to new numbers, both wire and cellular, as the providers exhaust the present 809 numbers assigned to them. Some providers will have to start sooner than others, depending on their inventory of unused 809 numbers. It is not geographical.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
So what happens when I call somebody with an 829 number from my 809 number in the same area?
Is it a local call or long distance?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
No difference from now

mido said:
So what happens when I call somebody with an 829 number from my 809 number in the same area?
Is it a local call or long distance?

Will be a local call. or if land to cel will be just as it is now, only difference is you have to dial the area code, which you have been doing for about the last 2 mo. anyway

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From what I read in the dr1 news summary, it sounds like if your neighbor gets a phone now and you already have one, he could have a different AC than you. It also sounds like anyone who already has a house phone will have a cell phone if he gets it in the future.

Is this how it is going to be?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Ken said:
From what I read in the dr1 news summary, it sounds like if your neighbor gets a phone now and you already have one, he could have a different AC than you. It also sounds like anyone who already has a house phone will have a cell phone if he gets it in the future.

Is this how it is going to be?
Ken, this is very simple.

Due to the lack of additional 809 numbers, new numbers will be issued with 829 area code. This is not dependant on whether the number is a wire or cell, or where it is located. Yes, your neighbor may have a different area code than you, in fact, if you add an additional line, you may have multiple area codes within your own home.

As to whether everyone will have a cell phone in the future. My guess is that wire technology will eventually be totally replaced by wireless. But this has nothing to do with the situation at hand.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
HOWMAR, I understand why there is a second AC. I was just noting that neighbors may have different area codes, and that at least in the foreseeable future your phone and cell may have different ACs. I still remember the chaos that resulted when the country tried to change time like the US does and wonder how smoothly will go the implementation of this new plan for ACs. Now instead of remembering 7 numbers you will have to remember 10 since you can't assume the person or business you are calling, even if in the same apartment building, has the same AC as you.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
the 809 area code is full, actually 4.2 millions of lines in service, that is why the first step was changing the dialling format of 7 digits to 10 digits (that include the AC).

Dialing 10 digits now we are able to have more than 1 AC in the same area, should be wireline or wireless, that mean that soon all new customer will be in 829 area code.

The people that are calling outside to DR doesn?t need to make any change in the format of dialling.

format of Dialling using 10 digits dialling format

From wireline to wireline 809-NXX-XXXX or 829-NXX-XXXX
From wireline to wireless 1-809-NXX-XXXX or 1-829-NXX-XXXX
From wireless to wireless 809-NXX-XXXX or 829-NXX-XXXX
From Wireless to wireline 809-NXX-XXXX or 829-NXX-XXXX

Toll free Numbers 1-809-200-XXXX

976 Line 1-809-976-XXXX (As 1-900 in the USA)

To call outside or calling to Dominican Republic will continue in the same form as before.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
riravaga said:
the 809 area code is full, actually 4.2 millions of lines in service, that is why the first step was changing the dialling format of 7 digits to 10 digits (that include the AC).

Dialing 10 digits now we are able to have more than 1 AC in the same area, should be wireline or wireless, that mean that soon all new customer will be in 829 area code.

The people that are calling outside to DR doesn?t need to make any change in the format of dialling.

format of Dialling using 10 digits dialling format

From wireline to wireline 809-NXX-XXXX or 829-NXX-XXXX
From wireline to wireless 1-809-NXX-XXXX or 1-829-NXX-XXXX
From wireless to wireless 809-NXX-XXXX or 829-NXX-XXXX
From Wireless to wireline 809-NXX-XXXX or 829-NXX-XXXX

Toll free Numbers 1-809-200-XXXX

976 Line 1-809-976-XXXX (As 1-900 in the USA)

To call outside or calling to Dominican Republic will continue in the same form as before.
I believe that you left out that a non-local wireline call requires a 1-XXX-XXX-XXXX

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
newuser said:
I have been through several area code changes in the USA and they implemented the changes geographically. Everyone seemed to apapt to the changes well.

I wonder why they didn't do the same here. For example, The National District (Santo Domingo) could stay with 809 and the rest of the country could change to 829 (or visa versa). This way everyone could keep the same number (some would have a new area code) and you would know where the geographic location of the number is by the area code.

I agree, would make much more sense!

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
At the begining they thought about it and find that if they, and about using one AC for wirelines and other for wireless and find that dialling 10 digits can be used bouth codes in all telephone services, remeber that not all areas in the country has the same grown, using this methoud we will have no problems for the next 20 years.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Happens both ways

newuser said:
I have been through several area code changes in the USA and they implemented the changes geographically. Everyone seemed to apapt to the changes well.

I wonder why they didn't do the same here. For example, The National District (Santo Domingo) could stay with 809 and the rest of the country could change to 829 (or visa versa). This way everyone could keep the same number (some would have a new area code) and you would know where the geographic location of the number is by the area code.

True this is normal, but can happen both ways, example Tampa Fl. implemented the way was done here. From a telephone company point of view, this is the easier cheaper way, just involves the switches.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
bienamor said:
True this is normal, but can happen both ways, example Tampa Fl. implemented the way was done here. From a telephone company point of view, this is the easier cheaper way, just involves the switches.
Also, from a business point of view it's cheaper. It's a pain to notify all contacts of new area code and reprint all items with phone number on it.