RE:working///living

M

Milli

RE:working///living

I guess I have a 2 questions that need anwering. My first one is...what is the maximum period you may be on a visit to the DR. My 2 friends and I are considering moving down there on a stay...well extended stay.

Second question is..while down there we want to find work. Are we entitled to work down there? or do we need some kind of work permit?

Anyone with some info please respond back here or send me an email. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

D

DR One

You will be issued a 60-90 day tourist card. After that period you will be staying illegally, but this should not be a problem. You will not be deported unless you get into trouble. When you leave you will have to pay US$10 penalty. In other words, yes you can stay.

By law you are not entitled to work if you have tourist status. But in practice, you should be able to find an employer that will give you a job if you have the necessary skills.

A

arcoiris

of course dr1 would never recommend that you disregard the laws. I hope you would go by the laws, even if they trust you to be on your honor and do not want to give you a hard time. right, dr1? It must be a simple enough matter to legally extend your visit, and, since the unemployment rate is so high there, and the people so poor that they need the jobs to support their families, you wouldn't want to illegally compete with them, would you? I recommend talking to the consulate about what you want to do, and I am sure they will try very hard to accomodate you. We are trying to encourage everybody, not just Haitians to be in the DR, and work there legally.

A

arcoiris

ps. if we tell this person it is ok to stay and work illegally, and then say it is not ok for Haitians then that is discrimination.