inverters on airplanes?

Katy76

Sep 27, 2005
Have any of you brought an inverter to the DR in your luggage? According to the airlines (we're flying American) it's allowed, but I have some relatives that have had their inverters confiscated in the airport. We are flying there in a few weeks and I was hoping to bring an inverter with me. Any experiences with this?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
just check it in the luggage and you are home free. Be prepared to pay duty on it once arrive at DR customs.
AZB

Katy76

Sep 27, 2005
Thanks, AZB! How much duty do you usually have to pay at the airport for this kind of thing? We're bringing a stereo and a dvd player- they'll charge for that too?

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Yes most likeley they will - they may charge what the book says or they might charge the price to grease the palms either way be ready.

Katy76

Sep 27, 2005
Thanks, guys! I can only imagine this trip- 6 suitcases, 2 kids, stroller, carseats, and port-a-crib in tow! It will be a good crash course (no unfortunate airplane pun intended!)- we'll be doing a repeat in March- moving our family to the DR bit by bit! Will be sure to bring extra cash for duty- advice much appreciated!