chopo!

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
chopa...chopo

¿Tú eres dominican@? Because, if you are, you should know that a 'chopa' is the cleaning woman (i.e. a person of little or no education). The term 'chopo' refers to a male with little or no education, no class nor social skills, no manners nor etiquette, etc. :cry:

Last edited:

concon_quemao

Oct 28, 2005
lostinthemetro.blogspot.com
wow... a simple question leads to questioning my dominican-ess.. lol.. i have asked many dominicans on this board and they told me that they learned what a chopo was on the board.. thanks for the definition though.. :lick:

LatinoRican said:
?T? eres dominican@? Because, if you are, you should know that a 'chopa' is the cleaning woman (i.e. a person of little or no education). The term 'chopo' refers to a male with little or no education, no class nor social skills, no manners nor etiquette, etc. :cry:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Look at the good side

concon_quemao said:
wow... a simple question leads to questioning my dominican-ess.. lol.. i have asked many dominicans on this board and they told me that they learned what a chopo was on the board.. thanks for the definition though.. :lick:

at least he didnt think you're a chopo.

JOHN

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
Yes folks, some of us in the states may not know some commonly used terminology in DR (does it mean we are any less Dominican? you be the judge)...and our English vocabulary may be far vaster than our spanish

yari

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
can't find

Yari said:
Yes folks, some of us in the states may not know some commonly used terminology in DR (does it mean we are any less Dominican? you be the judge)...and our English vocabulary may be far vaster than our spanish

yari
"vaster" in my Spanish dictionary. What does it mean??

JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
can't find

Yari said:

yari
"vaster" in my Spanish dictionary. What does it mean??

JOHN

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mira!!

concon_quemao said:
if i do a search it will only show the word being used.. not a complete definition!
Oye conconcito quemao (umm con habichuelas y salsa de carne de pollo, yummylicious!!), I did YOUR job for you.

On top of the page, do a search for "chopo" and you will see that a whole bunch of pages have references to the word. Now, if you go to page 6, you WILL find a thread on the Men/Women forum tittled: "Describe a Chopo For Me". Somehow, your question will be answered. Post on it if you have any other question about them (chopos/as).

Next time, let "your fingers do the walking"!.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
not every dominican knows this word

my friend...who is VERY dominican never has heard of this word. he has been living here in the states for about 10 years and some of the new venacular escapes him.

from what i have read on the board the definition is a crass, classless, ignorand and loud person. Myself i picture cheap bling blings and loud music pumping out of a run down car with flags in the windows.

NOw ...my puerto rican friends use it differently. TO them it means Nerd or Geek.

WOuld like to find out about the origin of the word tho.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jrzyguy said:
my friend...who is VERY dominican never has heard of this word. he has been living here in the states for about 10 years and some of the new venacular escapes him.

from what i have read on the board the definition is a crass, classless, ignorand and loud person. Myself i picture cheap bling blings and loud music pumping out of a run down car with flags in the windows.

NOw ...my puerto rican friends use it differently. TO them it means Nerd or Geek.

WOuld like to find out about the origin of the word tho.
I am sorry to tell you but if your friend tells you that he has never heard of the word, that bullschit!.

I have lived here in the US for almost 32 years and I have heard that word. I also heard the word before I relocated to the US when I was ONLY 11!!.

True, many do not know about it but a guy that moved here 10 years ago, the chances of him that hearing that word are VERY SLIM!!.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
LOL Miguel....perhaps he denies knowing the word because he is kinda bocho himself.

He absolutely refuses to speak spanish with me...or when i ask him how to clarify the correct verbage in spanish he curses me out and says that i know more spanish than i say i do.

He also says he doesnt know the word Sankie....and i am pretty sure his family moved him here from stop him beinga sank.

but anyways...we digress here.....any info from where this word originated?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
There!

jrzyguy said:
LOL Miguel....perhaps he denies knowing the word because he is kinda bocho himself.

He absolutely refuses to speak spanish with me...or when i ask him how to clarify the correct verbage in spanish he curses me out and says that i know more spanish than i say i do.

He also says he doesnt know the word Sankie....and i am pretty sure his family moved him here from stop him beinga sank.

but anyways...we digress here.....any info from where this word originated?
I swear that I was thinking the same thing!!.

Maybe he was a chopo and a sankie and do not want people to know because he knows that even SOME of his family members look down at such creatures. LOL.

Miguel,
The non-chopo!

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Well, here it goes...

Before moving to the US at the age of 12, I lived in what is now called Zona Colonial ( I remember living on Calle Sanchez, Palo Hincado, Espaillat and Estrelleta) and I remember hearing conversations about "las chopas paseando por el Malecon". The people the conversations referred to were always maids, lavanderas, cocineras etc.; they were often called chusma. Not a term I would use but, that was then: 1963

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
i know a dominican person in dr and says they never heard that word "chopo."

but seeing how certain people (who think they got class) in this forum use it it means a person with low class, no good job, no money, and no manners.
To many people in this forum DR is comprised mostly of chopo population since they're always saying things either about poor people, bachata/tipico clubs, etc etc.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
THE GAME said:
i know a dominican person in dr and says they never heard that word "chopo."

but seeing how certain people (who think they got class) in this forum use it it means a person with low class, no good job, no money, and no manners.
To many people in this forum DR is comprised mostly of chopo population since they're always saying things either about poor people, bachata/tipico clubs, etc etc.

It has nothing to do with money. There are rich chopos too and very poor people can have class and no money.

So I've been told here :rolleyes:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Listen!

Anna Coniglio said:
It has nothing to do with money. There are rich chopos too and very poor people can have class and no money.

So I've been told here :rolleyes:
Anna, if you can close this thread, do so. If you can't because you are not the moderator on this forum, pls, since he/she will listen to you before listening to me, send him/her an PM to close this thread. It not, he/she should move these posts to THAT thread.

Why?, because I already posted about another thread that has to do with "chopos" and people's definitions of them!!!!.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
chopa...chopo

Maybe AZB did coin the term 'chopo', but the the term 'chopa' was in use long before any of us came to the DR. How do I know? Simple. I asked my 80 year old Dominican mother-in-law. :classic: