A-Rod MVP

May 12, 2005
Congratulations to Alex Rodriguez on being named American League MVP. It was a close vote, he beat out David Ortiz by only 24 points. It is his second MVP. I'm sure that his defensive skills were the deciding factor in the vote. It's great the award went to a Yankee and a Dominican.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ok!

fko1 said:
Congratulations to Alex Rodriguez on being named American League MVP. It was a close vote, he beat out David Ortiz by only 24 points. It is his second MVP. I'm sure that his defensive skills were the deciding factor in the vote. It's great the award went to a Yankee and a Dominican.
Was there ever any doubts?. 24 or 1 vote, Ortiz lost and he should.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Overall talent should always win award

fko1 said:

Let's face it ..(choked at the time, at the plate when they really needed him). And that's nobody's fault but his own lack of production. But the best all-around ballplayer throughout the year even in postseason was he.

Me being a Yankee fan...NEVER want to see Ortiz on deck, nonetheless at the plate. Do I like him YES.. and respect him highly for the goodhearted human he is.

If he would've played first base even 50 games, I believe he would've won, if he kept the numbers and the health up doing so.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
50% is not the game

THE GAME said:
ortiz helped the team more than arod did.

arod just put up good numbers

and only reason why he won is b/c he plays on the field, unlike dh ortiz.

Like I said,IF he played the field it would be a whole different ballgame. Don't get me wrong... no a-rod fan, but he plays for the Yankees and plays offense and defense.

May 12, 2005
THE GAME said:
ortiz helped the team more than arod did.

arod just put up good numbers

and only reason why he won is b/c he plays on the field, unlike dh ortiz.

And how many runs did ortiz save his pitching staff with his defense??? If ortiz went 0-4, how did he help his team?? Certainly not by turning a game saving double play in the 9th.

cabroncito

Oct 20, 2005
Without a doubt A-rod deserves to be the AL MVP. I too a Yankee fan, but like easygoin said I like Ortiz anyways (eventhough I hate Boston.)

What I do not agree with is if Ortiz had played the field he would have won...
I don't think so.

A-Rod plays a solid, very impressive third base and Ortiz is just your average first baseman in the field. In other words, play Ortiz in the field... that error count or plays that should have been made will be up there.

Thats why he is a DH and not a fielder. Nothing spectacular from Ortiz's glove...

Ohhh... I don't know if this was brought up in the past, but the gold glove winners were terrible decisions. I thought A-rod had a gold glove this year. Or if not him, Crede (Chi. White Sox)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Oh......!

I forgot to mention that Alex won a cool million for winning the award!!.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
David Ortiz was left ripped and butt naked!!!

David Ortiz was the soul reason why the red sox won the world series,,Arod has not stepped up to that challenge...D.O. is clutch cool and calm in key situations and Arod chokes and only wonders..D.O. had more RBI's and has given life to the DH position,,and on the days he played first base he has done his part all to well...Arod with the Yankees and his salary is expected to have big numbers...D.O. is not.... this man is the modern day Babe Ruth slow moving but with a wicked bat if the tide were turned and D.O. WERE WITH THE YANKESS LAST YEAR THE YANKEES WOULD HAVE BEEN WORLD CHAMPS LAST YR AND PROBABLY IN THE WORLD SERIES THIS YEAR!

well maybe it's next year for the big papi!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
In my opinion, A-Rod deserved the awad over Ortiz. I completely agree that Ortiz is DEFINATELY a better hitter than A-Rod and the main reason is that he is so clutch. I akways say that overall numbers dont mean a damn thing if you can't hit in the clutch and ESPECIALLY in the clutch in the post season. This is what seperates a few special players like Derek Jeter from the pack.

The reason why I cannot give the award to Ortiz is simply because he only plays half the game. Everyone wants to look at offensive production and the defensive part of baseball is largely overlooked. A-Rod plays a key position and plays it REALLY WELL. He has a great season in the field and probably won more games for the yankees with his hitting AND defense than Ortiz did on his hitting alone. This is the difference.

Having said that, A-Rod didn't get it done in the post season. In the bottom of the 9th inning of game 7 vs. Aniheim, with the yankees down by a run, The camera showed Jeter turn towards A-Rod as they were running off the field and yell "come on, let's go". Jeter was leading off and A-Rod was due up second. Well, as you can guess, Jeter got on base and A-Rod struck out. Thats what makes Jeter great, you KNEW he would get on. A-Rod, with all his talent, doesn't have the icewater in his veins. Jeter does, Ortiz does, A-Rod does not.

edited to add: I saw CC Sebathia (pitcher for Cleveland) being interviewed last year and he was asked who he would rather face in a clutch situation, Jeter or A-Rod. He answered "I do NOT want to face Jeter. I will figure out out to get A-Rod out if I have to but I dont want to see Jeter up there". The interviewer (Chris Rose) was shocked and said "really??". Sebathia replied, "Absolutely, and every pitcher in the league feels the same way".

Larry

Last edited:

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
fko1 said:
And how many runs did ortiz save his pitching staff with his defense??? If ortiz went 0-4, how did he help his team?? Certainly not by turning a game saving double play in the 9th.

at least he was not in the field to commit errors like arod did at times.

my point is that if ortiz would be playing on the field,, arod would have
been 2nd on the voting.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
THE GAME said:
at least he was not in the field to commit errors like arod did at times.

my point is that if ortiz would be playing on the field,, arod would have
been 2nd on the voting.

Seriously, how can you speculate like that. A-Rod played a terrific 3rd base. Just putting Ortiz in the field dosen't help his team. Besides, Ortiz got to concentrate on his hitting all the time. A-Rod, like most players, had to concentrate on the offensive AND defensive parts of his game.

I am not taking anuything away from Ortiz but seriously, you cannot give a DH the MVP unless he is really head and shoulders above everyone else.

If you were building a team and had to pick your first player, would you pick the DH Ortiz or the gold glove caliber 3rd baseman A-Rod. Seriously...

Larry

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Larry said:
Seriously, how can you speculate like that. A-Rod played a terrific 3rd base. Just putting Ortiz in the field dosen't help his team. Besides, Ortiz got to concentrate on his hitting all the time. A-Rod, like most players, had to concentrate on the offensive AND defensive parts of his game.

I am not taking anuything away from Ortiz but seriously, you cannot give a DH the MVP unless he is really head and shoulders above everyone else.

If you were building a team and had to pick your first player, would you pick the DH Ortiz or the gold glove caliber 3rd baseman A-Rod. Seriously...

Larry
I hear you larry, but A DH has won this award in the past...and Arod at times was suspect at third base...again without D.O. the red sox would have never had won the world series last year..the man is owed this award...he is the man in Boston...besides Manny...without D.O. the red sox wouldn't stand a chance, now that is valuable...Arod,, is with the mighty yankees with a larger supporting cast...and D.O. neutralized them, and shut them down last year, and this year as well! it should have boiled down to who is more valuable to his team, and who do pitchers fear the most...it's not his fault that Francona has him as a D.H. either

cabroncito

Oct 20, 2005
daddy1 said:
I hear you larry, but A DH has won this award in the past...and Arod at times was suspect at third base...again without D.O. the red sox would have never had won the world series last year..the man is owed this award...he is the man in Boston...besides Manny...without D.O. the red sox wouldn't stand a chance, now that is valuable...Arod,, is with the mighty yankees with a larger supporting cast...and D.O. neutralized them, and shut them down last year, and this year as well! it should have boiled down to who is more valuable to his team, and who do pitchers fear the most...it's not his fault that Francona has him as a D.H. either

You continue to talk about last year... Why??? Yeah, Ortiz put them over the top last year, but his post-season stats and achievements are not to be taken into consideration for the MVP award. And as far as A-Rod being "suspect" at 3rd... Do you watch Yankee games? And like I said before, stick Ortiz in the field you only have a average(defensive) first baseman.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ortiz. Hate Boston... but this year A-Rod deserved it eventhough he was not as much of a clutch hitter as Ortiz (Although that 2run homer of Schilling in Fenway was pretty big.)

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
Larry said:
Having said that, A-Rod didn't get it done in the post season. In the bottom of the 9th inning of game 7 vs. Aniheim, with the yankees down by a run, The camera showed Jeter turn towards A-Rod as they were running off the field and yell "come on, let's go". Jeter was leading off and A-Rod was due up second. Well, as you can guess, Jeter got on base and A-Rod struck out. Thats what makes Jeter great, you KNEW he would get on. A-Rod, with all his talent, doesn't have the icewater in his veins. Jeter does, Ortiz does, A-Rod does not.
A-Rod did the worst thing a major league hitter could do in a game with a runner on 1st base and no outs, he hit into a double play:surprised. The man has game no doubt about it but to me Ortiz was the MVP. Im not a Yankee fan or RedSox fan. Look how many hitters the Yankee's have on there team Sheff, Jeter, Giamambi, Matsui......should I go on:tired: , and the RedSox all they had was Manny and David that's it, when it came down to it Ortiz won as many games with his bat for the RedSox than A-Rod did with his glove and bat put together. Oh yeah Ortiz is a real Dominican last I checked A-Rod was born and lived his life in the good ole USA as an American.

cabroncito

Oct 20, 2005
ronaldobklyn said:
Oh yeah Ortiz is a real Dominican last I checked A-Rod was born and lived his life in the good ole USA as an American.

You see... It's people like you that disappoint me. Why knock a fellow Latino because he was born in the US? Is he less of a Latino man because of it? Does a different type of blood run through his veins? He has Dominican blood. In my book he is Dominican. And yeah I was born in the US too. It might make people like A-Rod and myself have the title American, but why aren't we considered a "real Dominican?"

Irrelevant, but A-Rod has dual citizenship.

And I also assume you do not want him to play 3rd base for la Rep. Dom. in the series???

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Anyone who clamis that A-Rod's defense is "suspect" really does not know what they are talking about. He played an excellent 3rd base this year.

Larry

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
cabroncito said:
You see... It's people like you that disappoint me. Why knock a fellow Latino because he was born in the US? Is he less of a Latino man because of it? Does a different type of blood run through his veins? He has Dominican blood. In my book he is Dominican. And yeah I was born in the US too. It might make people like A-Rod and myself have the title American, but why aren't we considered a "real Dominican?"

Irrelevant, but A-Rod has dual citizenship.

And I also assume you do not want him to play 3rd base for la Rep. Dom. in the series???
By no means am I knocking A-Rod yes I know he is Latino as my self. Ortiz was born and grew up in the Republica Dominicana A-Rod was not he is more American than Dominican just because he was raised by a Dominican mother does not make him Dominican, he is American of Dominican decent. You are right I dont think he should play for Republica Dominicana he does not even live there during his off season he barely goes to Republica Dominicana any ways :tired: .

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ay Dios!

ronaldobklyn said:
A-Rod did the worst thing a major league hitter could do in a game with a runner on 1st base and no outs, he hit into a double play.
Are you kidding me?. I guess that all the Hall Of Famers NEVEEEEEER hit into a double play while a player was on first base!.

Jesus Christ, where do they find these people!!!!.

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
miguel said:
Are you kidding me?. I guess that all the Hall Of Famers NEVEEEEEER hit into a double play while a player was on first base!.

Jesus Christ, where do they find these people!!!!.
When it comes down to it nobody will remember A-Rod's MVP awards in New York if he does not win a championship. It's the World Series ring that counts here, that is why Jeter is so loved here in NY so much becasue he has delivered championships to NY!!!!
17846.jpg

10103682.jpg