Would like to Buy Unmounted Larimar in DR

hfelsen

Nov 15, 2005
I'm a jewelry student and would like to purchase some larimar on my upcoming trip to the DR. I will be mainly in Puerto Plata with my family and won't be able to get to Barahona. Do you have any advice about how I can buy both some rough and some cut and polished larimar while there? I saw it first 5 years ago in St. John and just fell in love. thanks for any help you can lend...
Heather hfelsen3@hotmail.com

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Vincente buys that for his shop in Puerto Plata.
I am sure he would assist you as well, he is a really good guy and speaks English.

The shop is La Canoa on Calle Beller 18 in Puerto Plata.
You can also email, go to www.thecanoa.com

hfelsen

Nov 15, 2005
thank you Carina

I emailed Vincente....hopefully he will be willing to sell me some...many of the jewelers seem reluctant to do so...Does anyone know how much of the stone I am allowed to take out of the country?

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Larimar - buy quality stones

There are different grades of Larimar. The bluer the better and more expensive. The whitish blue is very common and can even be found on a beach in Barahona and has little value.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I suggest you go and see Vicente when you come. Inside the shop they have a workshop where craftmasters works with both larimar and amber.
They will also show you, as they do to anyone visiting who is interested, just what Drake posted..The difference of bad and good quality of the stones, how you can determind that etc.
It is quite interesting.

Ruffino1974

Jun 7, 2003
hi.
I realize that you will be in the north...But just a note...there is a legal restriction on exporting raw larimar...if you are considering any large quantity assure that it is worked here by local artisans in a manner that is obvious so you will be in compliance if you are questioned at the airport..chopped and cut into workable size pieces is sufficient...
If you make it to Sto. Dgo I will be happy to help supply you from my stock or in any other way.

Good Luck
Rich