How's the beach in Puerto Plata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azuacanadagirl

Jan 24, 2005
Ok, so I am planning a trip to DR Dec. 10th and wanted to visit a different place and by the pictures I see the beach and ocean look pretty good in Puerto Plata. I would like to know, since I will be travelling with two young girls, my daughters if they can easily go and swim in the ocean cause they just love it.

But, from what I've heard the ocean is not very nice there and I wouldn't want it to be like Mexico's Pacific Coast cause the waves were way to big and the water quite disgusting at times for them to swim in.

I've only been in Punta Cana, and don't want to go back again at the same place over and over again and I also wanted a place with a town of some sort near by.

Is Puerto Plata a good place for us to vacation since the prices are obviously much lower and I do have three plane tickets to buy?? Also, if anyone knows how the Gran Flamenco is Puerto Plata would be appreciated.

Thanks

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
I was at the Grand Flamenco at the end of October. See my post in the "Trip reports" area on how it was there.

As for the beach, it's not fantastic in Puerto Plata (At least at the complex), but it's definately swimmable. There is a section right where you enter the beach area from the Flamenco that is bouyed off with fairly shallow water. After a storm you get a lot of junk on the beach, but it's typically cleaned up pretty quick. (They had it clean 2 days after the storm when I was there.)

The Grand Flamenco is quite child friendly - They will LOVE the "Occidental Fun Club"

Make sure to take a trip to Sousa beach if you're in the area and into nice beaches. It's a short trip, and the beach is absolutely amazing.

Have fun. I'm jealous, since I can't get any time off work to go down for my second trip until April.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hello

As well as Sosua beach you may also wish to take a trip along the coast in the other direction to Costambar. The water here is clear like Sosua but you also have the advantage of an afternoon breeze to keep you cool.

Costambar is about a 15 min drive from Playa Dorada

Daydream

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Why not just stay in Sosua or Cabarete, where the water is cleaner?
The POP airport is closer to Sosua than Puerto Plata anyhow, and there are many different types of beaches, from dead calm to rough enough to surf in.

azuacanadagirl

Jan 24, 2005
Rocky said:
Why not just stay in Sosua or Cabarete, where the water is cleaner?
The POP airport is closer to Sosua than Puerto Plata anyhow, and there are many different types of beaches, from dead calm to rough enough to surf in.

Any hotels you could recommend in the Sosua area that as a great beach, at least a four stars, good animation, and a good disco for mommy to go out dancing on the site cause the kids are used to staying in the room at night, being 13 and 10, but I wouldn't want to leave the resort though.

Thanks for any info, I have to book really soon!

I just had such a great price for the Grand Flamenco, the Bahia Principe also but that looks so far away from everything?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Also, Rocky, we can add that Puerto Plata itself has no beaches.
The beaches are all close by, like Playa Dorada, Costa Dorada, or further Costambar, Bergantine and finally Sosua.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
JDJones said:
Carina, what about the beach in front of Long Beach?

Horrible, just trash, bottles, glass.... No one is using it for years.
There is a very small part that Puerto Plata Beach Hotel have cleaned up just beside restaurant Cosita Rica..but even that is horrible with alots of street dogs, drunks etc..
Now even more, as the reconstruction of the whole Malecon has started to remake the oceanwalk, street and so on.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
JDJones said:
Carina, what about the beach in front of Long Beach?

There may be a beach but not water which you should consider swimming in - this is where they empty the sewage and the water is highly contaminated.

I know of a lady who had some mosquitoe bites on her legs and thought that the salt water would help them to heal.....so she went for a dip in the water there.....all her bites got contaminated and she was in hospital for 4 days.

Please don't swim in the water there

Daydream

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Oh my God! Is this actually allowed??? dumping sewage into the water??? I realize it is not Canada, but!!!!!!
Please , someone tell me it isn't so.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
The hotel that you are staying at is in the Playa Dorada complex. It is a very long, beautiful beach. Your kids will love the beach and water activities there. It is not the beach at Puerto Plata it is the beach at the Playa Dorada Comlpex.

The beach in the city is not for bathing, I agree, but the Playa Dorada is a different area.

Status
Not open for further replies.