now george best.......

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
living in the dr has its highs and lows, but do you ever get those times when you get really homesick and wish you were downing a few pints in a (24hr) pub back home.

some recent moments for me were;

1) jonny wilkinson's late drop goal.
2) after london's winning olympic bid, shortly followed by the tragic suicide bombers.
3) liverpool's fantastic second half comeback.
4) the next world cup when england beats germany 6-0.

now it is the imminent death of the legendary george best........so sad.

of course the average dominican (or even dr1 reader), unlike most of the world, has no idea who george best is, but at least the rest of us can rejoice that at some time in our lives you couldn't help at least raise a smile for this 'once in a lifetime' character.

is there anyone else on dr1, that will have an imaginary beer with me in salute to george? - not only for his natural talent on the field, but the talent he had for downing a few bottles and still managing to bed miss universe.

the world will not be the same without him.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
All due respect to George Best, but if he were an American (nonDominican) athlete, this thread wouldn't survive Robert's red pencil. But seeing as how he was a Brit................;)

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
He obviously was a great player, but you make me laugh by saying England will win 6-0 over Germany, you never won anything since 1966, and that only with a goal which wasn't, as we all know.Keep dreaming and have a great day.
Helmut

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
The funny thing about England is that they invented most sports but cant seems to win one of them.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i was actually asking if there was anyone in the dom rep who gets a bit homesick at times like these.

that includes americans...........but i must admit, americans in the dom rep, or anywhere else i have been just don't have the same spirit of camaraderie as europeans. comes from coming from such a big country i suppose. i was in the us when hurricane katrina struck and the people seemed to treat it as if it was in a completely different part of the world altogether, not their back door. i don't think that would happen in many other places in the world.

i can imagine many south africans in the dom rep felt the same (homesickness) when they won the bid to hold the world cup......or sri lankans (for example) after the tsunami.....etc.

do germans play any other team sport apart from football anyway?.....they should be the best at it by far, especially with all the free time the jobless can put into it. at least the dutch try their hand at cricket and the french at rugby.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
When England play football, it kills me watching it here.

Last world cup I booked a ticket after England beat Argentina.
I couldn't deal with watching the game with Brazil here in the DR :)

So yes, this is when I get real England sick.

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
Cricket is a sissy game, there is more action watching 2 persons playing chess and rugby is a game which isn't our style,and the jobless are kept happy watching England loosing in the big foot ball tournaments.
Have a nice weekend
Helmut

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
luzcace said:
Cricket is a sissy game, there is more action watching 2 persons playing chess and rugby is a game which isn't our style,and the jobless are kept happy watching England loosing in the big foot ball tournaments.
Have a nice weekend
Helmut

here is some of that camaraderie between europeans i was talking about.
you say this about an american and he rants on about closing the thread and how you are anti-american, etc.

anyway helmut.......do you get homesick when you see people slapping each others bottoms in a bavarian folk dance during oktoberfest?

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
I know what you mean, we understand that kind of jokes, always fun. I don't really get homesick, but next year hopefully I go for the World Cup, even if I don't get tickets, usually I never work during this event and watch all matches, that's what I am missing, go and watch a foot ball game in a full stadium with 65000 fans, what a feeling!!!!!!
Have a pleasant night.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
luzcace said:
and the jobless are kept happy watching England loosing in the big foot ball tournaments.
Have a nice weekend
Helmut

Very funny :)

Olympic Stadium, Munich, Germany - Saturday 1 September 2001.

About the most enjoyable match I have ever seen :)