Cena De Nochebuena...how much???

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I want to send Tony's Mom some money to help her with the Christmas dinner and also because there has to be some left over for Sunday when I arrive...(There are going to be at least 15 people eating on 12/24) :classic:

How much does a typical dominican family spend on cooking Christmas Eve dinner? :bandit:

La cena de nochebuena...what does it consist of? I know there's got to be lech?n, moro de guandules, pasteles...what else?

I'm bringing cake mix and frosting to bake Tony's b-day cake on Sunday when I get there, 'cause I want him to try some of my cooking...(even if I get a little help from Betty Crocker!;) )

Thanks for your input...and please, stay on topic...:angry:

MQ

Jun 5, 2004
Well These days food is alot of money and more for 15 people I would dare to say that 4000 pesos is enough to fill up 15 mouths.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
MQ,

I'm sending my relatives (about as many as yours) 7,000 pesos for the noche buena dinner. Some might say that's a bit too generous but that's just me. La libra de lech?n se pone como a 160 pesos para esas fechas. I also want them to buy a few cases of beer (600 pesos for a 24 bottle case of peque?as), fruits and all the other preparativos for the feast.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Thank you, Tigre....

El Tigre said:
MQ,...
I also want them to buy a few cases of beer (600 pesos for a 24 bottle case of peque?as), fruits and all the other preparativos for the feast.

That was going to be my next question...I still hadn't been able to find out how much a case of Presidente costs...that's going to be my present for my fiance's b-day...:lick:

Do you think he'll be happy if I get him 3 cases? ;)

I think I'll send my future mother-in-law $75 USD to help out...I didn't know it was that expensive to buy food there! And another $60 USD for the beer...

That's Christmas and B-Day presents all together!!! :bandit:

Thanks again!

MQ

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Maybe I'll buy him a shirt also, and his favorite cologne...but believe me, I know what he's going to like the most from those presents...of course, not counting on the one I will reserve for AFTER the party...when we are all alone!!!

I even bought a little Mrs. Santa outfit at Victoria's Secret for the ocassion!!! ;)

NOW...STAY ON TOPIC!!!

MQ

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Do you think he'll be happy if I get him 3 cases? ;) I think I'll send my future mother-in-law $75 USD to help out...I didn't know it was that expensive to buy food there! And another $60 USD for the beer...[/quote said:
He will definately be happy with 3 cases. 75 USD should be good enough. The average exchange rate right now is 32 pesos for 1 dollar so 75 will be around 2400. That's aenough for 10 pounds of pig roast!!! 10 pounds should be more than enough.

Can I come over for a beer? ;) :classic:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
TONY TONY TONY, who gives a rat's a$$ about sankie stories? Please give us a break its december. No one cares about you and your jobless tony who has to accept money from her sugar-nanny for christmas,

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FYI: Lechon, moro de guandules, ensalada verde, pastelon de platano maduro, ccasabe tostado con ajo, .
Postre de dulce fr?o, flan
Bebida: Cerveza, ron and un poco de whiskey ( JW Black) and a bottle or two of cava.

At our house there is also turkey, mashed potatos and something else..

I am figuring RD$230 a pound for roast pork this year.

In your case, don't plan on baking anything unless you know the oven...might be a disaster...

Oh yeah, beer is important...

HB :D:D

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Shoot, if it was my family, smaller amount of people getting together, it would be kinda outrageous but something like $6500 and that's a conservative estimate. However, we get baskets from friends of the family and my father gets a few bottles of champagne around the same time from his boss.........nice to work for the distributors of Seagram's alcoholic beverages in the country ;)

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
Noche Buena Meal

Musicqueen said:
I want to send Tony's Mom some money to help her with the Christmas dinner and also because there has to be some left over for Sunday when I arrive...(There are going to be at least 15 people eating on 12/24) :classic:

La cena de nochebuena...what does it consist of? I know there's got to be lech?n, moro de guandules, pasteles...what else?

MQ

Most dominican families also accompany the Noche Buena meal with wine. Fruits (apples and grapes) are also served; some people there only eat those fruits for Noche Buena. A variety of nuts, i.e. walnuts, etc. are also served.

It is also common practice for some neighbors to share with one another the food they cooked. Depending on the neighborhood, some people go from door to door visiting their neighbors... So it is quite possible that the cooking might be for more than the 15 people you calculated.

Enjoy,

MeDominican

yasmin

Jun 16, 2005
and don't forget juice and some strong coffee to survive "la resaca" the next day!!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
My questions would be: where and how do they live? What is normal in their economic circumstances? Helping out with the cost is very different in a poor bario then it is from Piantini in Santo Domingo! they have totally different expectations.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Oh, here it goes...

AZB...I'm not gonna say what's on my mind, 'cause Santa Claus is checking his list twice...and I want all my presents...you on the other hand, well...you know what you're getting already...ZIP!!! :rambo:

Tony is very much employed, as I've said before...he doesn't need the money, but I will be spending Christmas with them, and staying for 2 weeks...it's only fair that I help out...

HB...thanks...always useful information from you...I'm bringing 2 bottles of JW Black with me to celebrate...:bandit:

I was thinking the same thing about the baking, but what the heck...I'll try it anyway...it only cost me around $8 USD to buy the mix and the frosting, plus the candles from the dollar store...Wish me luck!;)

Planner...they are a lower-middle class family, not barrio or Piantini...they live in Villa Mella, nice neighborhood, even if it's not the best...but the house is beautiful, not zinc ceilings...4 bedrooms, 3 baths...plus Tony's 'efficiency' in the back...:classic:

From what I've gathered here, $2400 RD to help with the 'cena' is a good amount, and the beer will be part of Tony's Christmas and B-day present...:cheeky: :cheeky:

I just wanted to have an idea as I've NEVER sent them money before...NEVER pay for food or anything while I'm there...so I have no idea how much they could be spending for the 'cena'...

Thanks everyone for your input...

MQ (17 days and counting!) :lick:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Hey MQ, if there are kids around at your christmas dinner, get some glowsticks from the dollarstore as well for them. They will love it, and behave all evening!!! LOL It is the absolutely most popular thing around now, and a few for them, a few for their friends, will make their day!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Musicqueen, you are giving you inlaws too much credit. Just send a huge greasy roasted pig and be done with it.
AZB

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Carina...thanks for the tip...I think it's an awesome idea...as a matter of fact, I'm gonna buy lots of those and give them to my grandkids here also!

(I can't believe I'm finally and openly admitting I have grandkids!!!:))

MQ

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Musicqueen said:
(I can't believe I'm finally and openly admitting I have grandkids!!!:))

MQ

If I knew how much fun they were I would have had them first. :laugh:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Oh, God is gonna punish us for this!!!

Anna...I know what you mean...especially the part where you give them back to their parents after a visit!!!:lick:

But really, I'm googoo for the 3 of them!!! :classic:

MQ