immigrating to canada

exdomi

Dec 23, 2005
hello everyone,
This is the first time I am posting something on these boards but I have been visiting dr1 quite regularly for the past couple of years. I think this site is very informative and entertaining and the members do a good job of keeping it that way. Anyhow the reason for this thread is that I am a canadian citizen and planning to marry my dominican girlfriend. I was wondering if anybody knows anything about the process of bringing a spouse to canada, what are the steps and how long will it take, if a lawyer is needed or no, or any other kind of info. I appreciate your time and your responses.

Thank you

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Read the CIC website, then if there is still confusion ask specific questions. It is well laid out.

You apply and pay a fee, wait, get approval, pay another larger fee, and that's it. If the marriage is phoney they might say no, usually not. If you are broke and can't sponsor her for 10 years they will say no. The fiancee visa program is over. So unless you are in a proven conjugal relationship now you probably have to marry her first.

The paperwork is a pain and I'd use a lawyer (hey, I DID use a lawyer) as I still suspect they sneech things by faster. Do not use an immigration consultant even though they are supposedly regulated ( though now they are criticizing the regulatory body they invented for themselves, go figure).

They cost as much as a real lawyer.

She'll have to have a passport, get a police certificate soon for these two, and then will get a medical eventually, and so on.

With a proper lawyer I got approval in about 60 days.

Note I kindly did not even suggest this is a really stupid idea (even though in 99.999% of all cases it is a really stupid idea). Have you known her for more than one trip to the DR? Was she a "pro" or 'semi-pro" type of gal? MP girl, bar girl? Bad idea if so.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Hi--
I'm in the process of filling my Immigration forms out now, and I feel like I could be a Immigration lawyer! I feel like I'm a pro. My friend had married her boyfriend in April 2005, and she is still waiting for husband to come to Cda. AND she had a lawyer.

I am not using a lawyer, and I'll see how that goes. I'm just waiting on the actual marriage certificate, and then I will submitt.
Basically you visit www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/fc.html
This gives you all the forms and you get the necessary information for medical and police reports req'd on your wife's end.
What I did was get all the forms filled out, and I'll be taking them with me in Feb when I get married, having him sign the necessary documents, and then bring everything back with me...the docs, and the medical recepit and the police report....as well as marriage certifcate (these last 3 things need to be translated from Spanish to English for Immigration)...and then I will forward EVERYTHING ( I swear I'll need a gigantic box to ship everything to Immigration) when I get home. And then the waiting period starts.

Make sure all the docs are filled in properly, and all you t's are crossed and your i's are dotted. B/c Immigration is crazy! And make sure all docs that she needs to sign are signed b/c I had Dominican friend, who's wife is Cdn... who did them sent them off, and then Immigration sent them back to her to have her husband sign some docs...and so she had to Fedex them to the DR, and then send them back to Cda....and this happned twice, and while this mailing back and forth went on, his medical expired, and he had to go re-apply for that......so just make sure things are in order BEFORE you send them in, so there are no delays. ORGANIZATION IS KEY!!!!!

If you have any questions filling in the forms, let me know.
Lisa

exdomi

Dec 23, 2005
hi , thank you so much for the info. it gave me a starting place and the basics i should know. one thing i didnt understand is even for a spouse do you need to be able to sponsor for 10 years? and another thing what is the time frame on average for this. I know other relatives and other people takes a long time but how is it for spouse.

As for the comment about what kind of girl she is(bar girl, pro, semi pro etc.) i have to say no she is not like that. I know exactly what you're talking about though I used to live in the dominican repulic myself and know the place and the people pretty good. My girlfriend was a med student at the time and we met in the hospital where we both were working. In the dominican republic you see it all, the two extremes the "pros" and the nicest women you never even imagined could exist so i agree a sound knowledge of the place or anything for that matter is necessary before you take any major decision in life

exdomi

Dec 23, 2005
10 years is that even possible you mean i have to wait 10 years for my wife to come over what kind of marriage would that be. does that even make sense?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
exdomi said:
10 years is that even possible you mean i have to wait 10 years for my wife to come over what kind of marriage would that be. does that even make sense?
Directly from the immigration Q&A:

your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, you must provide financial support for three years from the date that person became a permanent resident;
your, or your spouse?s, common-law or conjugal partner?s dependent child who is less than 22 years of age, you must provide financial support for 10 years from the date that person became a permanent resident or until the child turns 25 years of age, whichever comes first;
your, or your spouse?s, common-law or conjugal partner?s dependent child who is 22 years of age or older, you must provide financial support for three years from the date that person became a permanent resident; or
any other person not mentioned above, you must provide financial support for 10 years from the date that person became a permanent resident.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
No, it means that you sign an agreement that says if she goes on any public support you pay the government back what they dole out to her. Avoids marriages of convenience where she screws off the day she arrives after you get paid for doing it then winds up on welfare.

monsoon68

Dec 19, 2005
I agree with Lisa: ORGANIZATION is the key. If you miss a document you could get delayed for 1 month or longer.
As per the duration of the process, it depends on the case and how busy is the immigration office that you use. The shortest that I have seen is 9 months. Most of the people that I know, they did not use a lawyer. I am an immigrant too --independent cathegory-- and now Canadian citizen.

exdomi

Dec 23, 2005
hey mickeyone, can you elaborate a little more, where youre from and how did you just leave your country and reside in the DR. was it only to be with your wife ?