about profitable businesses in DR

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
I have been wondering what are the most profitable businesses in DR
could a small business be started there with 500,000 dominican pesos?
anyone with business experience,your reply will be appreciated.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I would say that banking is the most profitable business in the DR.

Can you start a small business with RD$500,000? Of course, even with much less. DR1 was started with much less. It comes down to finding a product or service for which there is a market demand. Start small, keep overheads to a minimum. Consider this market is subject to ups and downs so you need to stay flexible.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Real estate?

Seems to me that investing in any kind of property would be the way to go. It's relatively safe & has the potential for explosive growth.
I've seen (in the INTERNET) buildings for sale in downtown Santiago that were reasonably priced. -around $40k,US. for a 3 story bldg.- There could be a "catch" so you must check for structural damage, leans, unclear title, etc. ...or perhaps buying a condo and turning it into time-share, would also be something to consider.....Or,how about buying or building a large enough house with extra rooms to accommodate tourists? IE, a "bed & breakfast"?
If the location is right (no slum areas) you could generate enough income to keep you in beer money for the rest of your life & with minimal effort.
Also remember that real state always appreciates in value so not only will you make $$ off of it today, you'll get many times what you paid for in years ahead.
As in any business venture, you MUST balance potential income with real & probable liabilities. If after calculations you're still in the black, go for it.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Don Juan said:
Also remember that real state always appreciates in value so not only will you make $$ off of it today, you'll get many times what you paid for in years ahead.
Possibly in some countries, but not here. Take Playa Chequita in Sosua as an example. Their fantasy island was turned into a cesspool by the neighbors upstream.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Don Juan said:
Seems to me that investing in any kind of property would be the way to go. It's relatively safe & has the potential for explosive growth.
You can't buy much Real Estate for RD500,000, especially income producing Real Estate.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
indiana16 said:
I have been wondering what are the most profitable businesses in DR
could a small business be started there with 500,000 dominican pesos?
anyone with business experience,your reply will be appreciated.
How much income are you looking to generate from you business?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
True enough rellosk......

rellosk said:
You can't buy much Real Estate for RD500,000, especially income producing Real Estate.

....not much, but can you not, at least, buy a condo?
$500kDR, translates to $14,285US @ 35x1; Does a 1br. condo costs that much in Santiago? If so, perhaps a business partner would be in order. Someone that can chip-in another 15k,US?
I've seen, again, in the INTERNET, (Listin Diario) 100 tarea fincas with a finished concrete 3br house in La Cumbre, (about 15 km. north of Santiago) for roughly $45k,US.... Don't know about y'all, to me that's very affordable. A place like that can easily be configured into a nice little inn with whoresback riding for tourists bearing hard currency.
In my humble opinion,real estate investing is, especially if you're catering to the tourism industry, the safest way to go even if you know diddly about it.

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
The question would be why would a tourist want to be in the sticks 15 Km from Santiago? Cheap Real Estate can be found anywhere, like in the US $10,000 USD for a townhouse in Balto MD, or $15,000 US for a house in DC. But drive to the address and you'll see it isn't worth even that much. Better have a gun with you too.

There is a surplus of Condos for sale in Sosua and Cabarate, but look at the neighborhood. I think the good deals that were there, are long gone.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
That'll work!

rush said:
How about an organize whore house complete with full medical !

Great idea! The customer can be "serviced" & immediately treated for VD! all for one price!

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
indiana16 said:
I would like to generate minimum 30,000 pesos per month

stay in the US and save up U$30K more, then come to DR with U$45K, take a risk (as you would investing in any business) and put your dollars in the bank and change them to pesos. i hear the current interest rate is @22%, so if you get anywhere in the 20-25% neighborhood, you'll be getting RD30K a month without lifting a finger. risky? yes, but so is any investment.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Don Juan said:
A place like that can easily be configured into a nice little inn with whoresback riding for tourists bearing hard currency.

This must be the funniest spelling error ever on DR1.

Sorry Don Juan, I'm not messing with you but "whoresback" riding is really funny in the context of the Dominican Republic..

rush

Jan 22, 2005
As the saying goes " as those stupid tourists with thier pink toes set foot on the beach they dream of selling the family laundry mat and opening a bar on the beach"
Come on down for a week or two and go back home and work.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
rush said:
As the saying goes " as those stupid tourists with thier pink toes set foot on the beach they dream of selling the family laundry mat and opening a bar on the beach"
Come on down for a week or two and go back home and work.

you have a negative mentality you shouldn't be giving advice

A

apostropheman

Chris said:
This must be the funniest spelling error ever on DR1.

Sorry Don Juan, I'm not messing with you but "whoresback" riding is really funny in the context of the Dominican Republic..
funny...and all too accurate:eek:

A

apostropheman

almost too good to be true...very witty if it was intentional