About mental health in DR

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
Concerning the mental health issue in DR. If you or someone you know has a mental health condition.It is better to keep your mouth shut about it. Unlike their american counterparts, Dominicans do not empathize well with a person who is mentally ill. Americans tend to be more understanding towards the mentally ill.
In DR if it is known that you have a mental condition you will become the talk of town especially if it is obvious via your behavior. It becomes like a sport. In your neighborhood, you will recieve the label of " el loco or la loca" in other words the crazy person.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
So, you have a " mental health condition"?

indiana16 said:
Concerning the mental health issue in DR. If you or someone you know has a mental health condition.It is better to keep your mouth shut about it. Unlike their american counterparts, Dominicans do not empathize well with a person who is mentally ill. Americans tend to be more understanding towards the mentally ill.
In DR if it is known that you have a mental condition you will become the talk of town especially if it is obvious via your behavior. It becomes like a sport. In your neighborhood, you will recieve the label of " el loco or la loca" in other words the crazy person.

Darn good! I though you pretended to be sane like the rest of these grungy, sophisticates DR1 posters. You know. I'm so glad you opened up, Heeh hah! I though I was the only sane-crazy person on this board! But I'm so glad I have a partner! Someone I can share with all my feelings & say what I mean! Yeah!... If the rest of you have a problem with mental illness, remember, you may not have been conceived if not for it! haaaaaa! haaaaa!

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
You guys are off your rockers. If there's place you can plead an insanity defense it's the DR. More so if you have been treated as an outpatient at a psychiatric ward (say "El 28"), you can commit the crime in the morning and be safe at home in the afternoon, since those considered legally insane cannot be arrested.