DC/MD/VA Social Club!

Estoy_Enarbolando

Jan 12, 2006
Announcing the creation of a new social club for those DR1'ers and friends located in the Washington, DC area!

Our mission will be to promote, educate, and celebrate the rich cultural heritage of the Dominican Republic through social and networking events around the Capital Area.

All are welcome! Whether you've only been to the DR once, have been there all your life and just moved here, or have never been but just want to dance merengue or have a Presidente. . .

But the first order of business would be to all meet each other :) If you are interested in joining, please post here with your location and dates you might be available to meet. We'll choose a place and time that can work for everyone so we can get this party started!

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. Looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

For background, see this thread.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have a question, just curious as to what "enarbolanda" part of your username means ?

Thanks

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Keith R is interested. I live on the border between Alexandria and Springfield, VA. I'm available most evenings except Monday; weekend availability differs from week to week (for example, I'm slated to go skiing this coming weekend, so couldn't meet up then).

You might also consider PMing and/or emialing the board participants in this area who do not check in on the board very often these days, such as tordok, ALB3, dcfred, hormiga, kingofdice, dcareamama, krjgda, JWB, Sancochojoe, superstar, jonfromva, cloaked. There are others, but I'd have to check my notes from summer 2004's attempt to gather DC area DR1ers.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Hormiga's kinda far right now but I can give her a shout real quick........and if anything goes down before the middle of March, I can make it there.

Estoy_Enarbolando

Jan 12, 2006
Like I mentioned before, will do on the PMing idea - thanks. Since the Fall 2005 get-together didn't happen as planned, we can just think of this as the make-up session!

And for those that are curious, the idea is to model ourselves after this group my mother started. . .

http://www.dominicanculturedfw.org/

I've contacted her and the current president to see if they have any contacts here in the DC area they can introduce us to. Maybe we can get the Dominican Embassy to host a happy hour at their place during the spring or something?!

I'm in Rosslyn, VA. Weekends usually work best for me (except for the next two weekends) The 1st two weekends in Feb. are all clear though. . .

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Will be happy to meet anywhere except downtown DC. (see my post in Dominicans abroad). Any weekend evening is fine with me.

Rick

Feb 21, 2002
Just say when!!

I live in Gainesville, VA and I would love to meet some of the DR1 memebers. I will be in the DR from March, 9th thur the 30th. I do hope that we can meet before then!!!!!

Rick

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Rick said:
I live in Gainesville, VA and I would love to meet some of the DR1 memebers. I will be in the DR from March, 9th thur the 30th. I do hope that we can meet before then!!!!!

Rick
I just knew I was forgetting some folks in my earlier list! Sorry Rick! BTW, whether they get this meeting arranged or not, the offer for a beer still stands if you ever come through Alexandria or thereabouts.

Regards,
Keith

Simbul

May 26, 2005
Alexandria/Arlington

Hey, in Alexandria area. Would love to meet up. Will be in SD Feb 15 - 19th, and intend to hit several spots on the island. Counting down.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
King here. I'm pretty much available most weekends. I expect to be in the D.R. the last 10 days of March.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Party, party!!

It seems most of us have conflicting schedules, so the rest of this month almost certainly won't be any good. We want to try to have the greatest attendance to this fun social gathering,therefore, judging by your posts,the first week in February appears to be best & probably most convenient for all.
I vote for February the fourth with the eleventh being the alternative date. These two dates have the best windows as a many of our DR1rs will not be here past that point ( they'll be flying to DR, sans nous, the brutes!)

Let's choose now between those two dates & worry about the locale later. I'll look around for suitable meeting quarters and post it for your consideration. :ninja:

Please post your date & place of preference!!!! Hurry!

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Come on, let's not lose ourselves!

Please post your preferences & go from there. Let's make it happen!!:bandit:

Estoy_Enarbolando

Jan 12, 2006
Are we set with Feb. 4th?

Gracias DJ...

Feb. 4th works for me!

I took a look at a ton of places in Fairfax and was not impressed with anything Hispanic/Latin that I found. Unless ya'll want to meet up at Chipotle!!!

DominiCubana suggested we do Dave & Busters in Rockville. . . There's also Rio Grande, Austin Grill, Guapo's, and Jaleo in Bethesda.

Bethesda would be my preference because all of those places are good. Rockville works for me too though. . .

DominiCubana

Jan 7, 2006
www.ggexpresstravel.net
Estoy_Enarbolando said:
Gracias DJ...

Feb. 4th works for me!

I took a look at a ton of places in Fairfax and was not impressed with anything Hispanic/Latin that I found. Unless ya'll want to meet up at Chipotle!!!

DominiCubana suggested we do Dave & Busters in Rockville. . . There's also Rio Grande, Austin Grill, Guapo's, and Jaleo in Bethesda.

Bethesda would be my preference because all of those places are good. Rockville works for me too though. . .

Bethesda works for me too!!! Austin Grill, bueno all of the places you mentioned are good!!

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Suena bueno!

DominiCubana said:
Bethesda works for me too!!! Austin Grill, bueno all of the places you mentioned are good!!

Feb. fourth is good for me too and so is Austin Grill.:classic:

What time?

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Count me in...., maybe

I live in Fair Lakes, VA. My schedule is all over the place. So whatever date is decided on, I'll do my best to make it.

Estoy_Enarbolando

Jan 12, 2006
Sounds good ALB3 - I'm coming from Rosslyn. It looks like we are getting some momentum for Feb 4th @ Austin Grill in Bethesda. . . so unless we hear from enough local DR1 folks to the contrary, pencil this in :)

A PM with the suggested date/location will be coming soon!

Rick

Feb 21, 2002
You can count me in for the 4th of Feb. I am looking forward to meeting our locals in the DC/VA/MD area.

Rick