Properties

Fireguy1

Jan 16, 2006
Have been to Dominican twoce and am considering purchasing or building a home in the Porta Plata or Sousua area. I would use it for vacation and rent it out untill I retire in 4 years, I am a Captain in the Fire Department in Canada. Any experiance in these areas would be appriciated. Thanks

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
Puerta Plata or Sosua

My suggestion would be to forget Puerta Plata and focus on either Sosua or Cabarete-If you want to go the house route, consider Perla Marina which is between Sosua and Cabarete-There are some very nice homes and properties near the beach; some can be quite pricey but you can also find more moderately priced places the further away from the beach you go. If you are considering a condo, I would go to Cabarete where several newer places are going up. I would use a realtor. My personal choice would be to go through Century 21 Juan Perdomo in Sosua. Veronica Janssens is extremely efficient and responsible and would be a good choice.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
You might want to consider contacting Sandy at Remax. Also look at property in Hacienda El Choco. Gated and very nice with views from many lots to the ocean.

Bob K

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
There is already 'Fireguy' on this board, you may want to change your board name in order to avoid confusion.

On the other side of Puerto Plata (west) there is Costambar and Cofresi, which also have a lot of expatriot homes.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Conchman said:
There is already 'Fireguy' on this board, you may want to change your board name in order to avoid confusion.
I have no problem with his name as long as it doesn't cause confusion on the board. I already alerted Rob as to the potential for problems.

FWIW - greetings from the Maritimes.

Gregg

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I would suggest a condo that way you don't have to worry about security, landscaping fixing the generator, etc. Also would be easier to rent when you are not using it.

I actually have a condo for sale in Carabrete that is 50% owned by retired Canadians. What a coincidence.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I think it would be a mistake to buy a house for rentals when you are not here to manage it. Its hard enough with all the bullchit (people ripping you off, bad repairs, theft, etc.) when you're here, it will be impossible from away. So condo would be better idea, yes.

Fireguy1

Jan 16, 2006
Didnt realize that there was another Fireguy, I have used Fireguy1 for years. Hope it does not cause to much confusion. Thanks Greg