carrying cash around and related

bogdan

Jan 30, 2006
Hello again. For relatively clear reasons, I suspect that it is not a good idea to go on holidays to the DR with a wad of USD cash, although cash may be the easiest way to do transactions. An alternative seems to be using ATMs: does anyone know whether there is any in Las Galeras? Samana? Cabarete? Also, is it better to get the cash from the ATM, or exchange it (in Santo Domingo, in particular, where there must be plenty of exchange options). Finally, for a taxi ride from Santo Domingo airport to the city, does one need local currency? How about the main bus companies (e.g., Caribe Tours)?
Thank you very much.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
US Traveler's Cheques are a good safe option.
You can take a Taxi from SDQ to the Caribe Tour bus station, then onto the North coast from there.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Wads of cash not recommended

I usually take both cash and traveler's cheques and found traveler's cheques to be best but, the only drawback is you'll need your passport to change into Pesos. Exchange is the same for both. Many ATMs in POP.

Bon voyage.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
shadInToronto said:
I usually take both cash and traveller's cheques and found traveller's cheques to be best but, the only drawback is you'll need your passport to change into Pesos. Exchange is the same for both.
Not always, there are some places that charge a fee for exchanging travelers checks.

SweetSue

Dec 15, 2005
I used the atm at the coral marinia resort and I had no problems. the exchange was good.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bogdan said:
Finally, for a taxi ride from Santo Domingo airport to the city, does one need local currency?
You can use US dollars for the taxis. But sometimes (depending on the conversions rate), you might do better by having pesos.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Maybe ....

rellosk said:
Not always, there are some places that charge a fee for exchanging travelers checks.
I usuall exchange at Ruska and Banco without paying anything ... Ruska is close to Sam's in POP so, whenever I visited Joanne I would stop in at Ruska.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Also, if you have a safety deposit box at your hotel, you can take some cash down and only keep what you need on you during your stay. Whatever you feel more comfortable with!

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
When in Rome.

The same applies in the DR. Dominicans carry Pesos in their pockets.

I get my funds using ATM machines and can draw up to $10,000 per card at one time. I get a great rate from my bank and never have problems finding a ATM machine.

The only cautions you should use are to be aware of those around you at the machine. If it does not look safe to you go elsewhere. I learned the hard way and am still in pain.

Chuckuindy

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
US denominated traveler's Cheques are the way to go.
I have established relationships at several cambio's and only presented my Xerox'ed passport once. I also received the same Tasa as cash.
No need to have much cash in this country, even in the safe. The ATM's work well and are not eating too many cards these days.

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
FWIW.....

Traveler's Cheques- Hotels sometimes wont change them because the denominations are too large (they just don't have enough to make change). If you go to a bank, be prepared to spend at least a half an hour.

US Cash... can usually be used in lieu of pesos but I agree, you usually do better with pesos. This is provided you can do the quick mental math on the conversion. You still need to deal with banks or take a less attractive rate at a hotel.

ATM's- This is my preference. The machines are everywhere, usually available 24 hours, most are guarded. They are not as numerous around resorts however. I get a very good exchange rate with a modest service charge. Maximum withdrawals range from $5,000RD to $10,000RD. The machines can get drained from time to time and I have seen more than one swallow a card. My strategy is two have two cards/accounts to draw on so if one gets swallowed, I can cancel the card right away but still have a means to obtain cash.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Budson said:
The machines can get drained from time to time and I have seen more than one swallow a card. .
That's why I like the ATMs at Banco Reserva. You swipe the card by inserting and pulling it right out. The machine doesn't get a chance to eat your card.

bogdan

Jan 30, 2006
Banco Reserva? Is that an actual commercial bank, or a site (the site of the National Bank, I would guess)? Is it in Santo Domingo?

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Lots

In Cabarete there are lots of choices. Even Scotiabank . From Memory there are about 6 or 7 Machines . The Scotiabank and the Banco Popular have Armed Security guards . Pretty safe. But during the day (AS long as you are around the beach and on the main street) i wouldnt worry too much. If you are going out at nighht, dont take more than you need and lock the rest in your hotel safe. Never flash the money around. remain discreet with your transactions. The vast majority of the people are honest and hard working. But it just takes that one desperate idiot........... Personally I never use travellers checks. Thats not to say they aer good or bad. I just have my card and a duplicate. (Which I also have in a seperate secure place when I travel) Cabarete is very tourist friendly...... Often I say that the Dominicans prefer to steal your money with a smile ......... They will convince you to buy almost anything for a higher price than you would ever dream of paying on a store shelf and make you think you just got the best deal on the beach !

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My friend found out the hard way that only American Express travelers checks were readily accepted. He had Visa TC's, and several cambio's in Santiago refused to take them.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
bogdan said:
Banco Reserva? Is that an actual commercial bank, or a site (the site of the National Bank, I would guess)? Is it in Santo Domingo?
Actual bank with branches in most cities.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Budson said:
FWIW.....

Traveler's Cheques- Hotels sometimes wont change them because the denominations are too large (they just don't have enough to make change). If you go to a bank, be prepared to spend at least a half an hour.

These are freely cashable at cambios, often at a better rate with no fee and if you use the same cambio after the first day using your passport as ID, they will be happy with a colour copy of your passport or often nothing at all.

Nobody suggests cashing at hotels, ever, or cambios in them. Or wasting time at a bank to do so when cambios are more accessible and sometmes beat the rate at the banks.

Not knowing what Banco Reservas even is suggests you may not have enough knowledge to offer advice on this topic.