on my way soon

Remoh1

Sep 21, 2005
www.newport-pagnell.co.uk
coming over in just over a week and wondered if anyone could answer some simple questions for me

1) how many pesos is a sensible tip for the maids each day?

2) where is best to leave the tip so the maids know its for them?

3) what is the spanish for can you please put diet soda in the mini bar?
(my wife is diabetic so sugar free is a must)

hopefully we will be able to do the whale watchingand swimming with dolphinsand get out of the complex a bit to see the real place. I have been reading this forum and it really is a useful place for the first time visitor

Thanks for any help you can give

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Remoh1 said:
1) how many pesos is a sensible tip for the maids each day?
30-50 pesos a day.
Remoh1 said:
2) where is best to leave the tip so the maids know its for them?
Hand it to them.
Remoh1 said:
3) what is the spanish for can you please put diet soda in the mini bar?
It doesn't matter how you say it. The odds of getting anyone to do something out of the normal routine is very slim. Diet Coke is is labeled Coca Cola Lite (it might be Light) in the DR.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
rellosk said:
30-50 pesos a day.
Hand it to them.
It doesn't matter how you say it. The odds of getting anyone to do something out of the normal routine is very slim. Diet Coke is is labeled Coca Cola Lite (it might be Light) in the DR.
Or Diet Pepsi, pronounced, Pepsi Dee Eh Ta. Or ask for refrescos sin azucar.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Remoh1 said:
thanks for that, are lite (sugar free) drinks readily available in DR?
Most places either have Diet Pepsi or Coca Cola Light. As your wife is a diabetic, tell her to be careful with the Orange Juice here. Most is mixed with sugar, even when they say it is Natural. If you buy any be sure it says "sin azucar". Tips from another diabetic.

Remoh1

Sep 21, 2005
HOWMAR said:
Most places either have Diet Pepsi or Coca Cola Light. As your wife is a diabetic, tell her to be careful with the Orange Juice here. Most is mixed with sugar, even when they say it is Natural. If you buy any be sure it says "sin azucar". Tips from another diabetic.

thanks very much for that I will make a note of that, is "sin azucar". spanish for sugar free?

Remoh1

Sep 21, 2005
thanks very much, thats very important info for a diabetic :)

I am so looking forward to going to DR, never been before and it looks so beautiful. I am staying at the gran ventana beach for a week and intend to relax and take it easy

is tipping the norm like in the US? its not here in the UK as a lot of brits cant seem to grasp the concept.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Some of the Coca Cola light is sweetened with fructose still. Want to feel safe, buy it in a colmado and read the nutrition information.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
You may not want to do this, but the last trip in December. I took cans of diet pop with me because I wasn't sure I would find any in the DR. See I can't drink asparatame which is usually found in diet sodas. So I took my own which is sweetned with splenda. I put a couple of cans each in our suitcases, got ice from the bar and I was good to go. By the way the luggage wasn't that much heavier either.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
If your wife is a diabetic, she either has a card, bracelet, chain, notifying in case of emergency. Pack as many sodas as you can for carry-on... US will never deny you. Customs in DR ,if problem arise simply show proof, and if all else fails ..... $10 will do it.Enjoy your stay.;)

Remoh1

Sep 21, 2005
easygoin said:
If your wife is a diabetic, she either has a card, bracelet, chain, notifying in case of emergency. Pack as many sodas as you can for carry-on... US will never deny you. Customs in DR ,if problem arise simply show proof, and if all else fails ..... $10 will do it.Enjoy your stay.;)

thanks for the tip but we are from the UK not the US :classic:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Don't bother bringing it with you. If in case the hotel doesn't have the soda, the Plaza within the complex has a small grocery/convenience store. It may be a bit more expensive than you can buy elsewhere (2 liter diet pepsi was 60 pesos last week/cans 25 pesos).
I looked at the Coca Cola Light that I have. It is sugar free, sweetened with aspartane.
My advice, as a diabetic living in the DR, anything you need is available here.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
HOWMAR said:
My advice, as a diabetic living in the DR, anything you need is available here.
I wasn't able to find sugar free candy bars, or even the sugar free protein shakes. Do you know where they can be bought in the DR?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
rellosk said:
I wasn't able to find sugar free candy bars, or even the sugar free protein shakes. Do you know where they can be bought in the DR?
Supermercado Messon in downtown Puerto Plata has a dietetic section. They have sugar-free candies, drinks, protein bars, canned fruit, etc. They even think that Presidente Light belongs in this section. Not as extensive as you may want but a good choice of items.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
HOWMAR said:
Supermercado Messon in downtown Puerto Plata has a dietetic section. They have sugar-free candies, drinks, protein bars, canned fruit, etc. They even think that Presidente Light belongs in this section. Not as extensive as you may want but a good choice of items.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
As a diabetic who has traveled to the DR and now planning on moving there this spring I have had no problem finding sugar free stuff, even chewing gum. Just be careful as someone has said about the fruit drinks.

Bob K

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Bob K said:
As a diabetic who has traveled to the DR and now planning on moving there this spring I have had no problem finding sugar free stuff, even chewing gum..
Sugar free chewing gum is easy to find. It's the other stuff I've had a hard time find in the DR.
Bob K said:
Just be careful as someone has said about the fruit drinks.
Shouldn't a diabetic stay away from fruit drinks, whether or not they have added sugar?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
rellosk said:
Shouldn't a diabetic stay away from fruit drinks, whether or not they have added sugar?
Most diabetics trained in exchage diets incorporate fruit juices into thir diets. The problem in the DR is that they take fruit juices such as Orange juice and spike it with sugar. Where 4 ounces of OJ would be a normal exchange, the spiked OJ may be 3 or 4 times that,