Not Very Important..........

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
but I've noticed in my travels to the DR (POP and Punta Cana) that almost all of the men seem to be clean shaven. Can someone expound on the reason? My assumption is that most responses will say that it is culturally based, but how so? Again, this isn't really important, just something I've noticed and was curious about.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
jackquontee said:
but I've noticed in my travels to the DR (POP and Punta Cana) that almost all of the men seem to be clean shaven. Can someone expound on the reason? My assumption is that most responses will say that it is culturally based, but how so? Again, this isn't really important, just something I've noticed and was curious about.

Before I go to the Dr, I go to the barber shop to get a hair cut. The Dominican Barbershops offer shaving service. It is part of grooming, you don't know who or what you going to find on your way. First impression counts.

On a culturally side, Dominicans are self concious when it comes to hygiene, that they even worry what people might say after their death. The motto is you don't want to be caught dead (literally) with a dirty underwear, torned clothes and poor body hygiene.

My wife has the tendency to clean and arrange the house from top to bottom before we take a long trip. Her reason for it is in case something happens to us people visiting won't say that she was a messy person.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Rocky said:
I find they have a lot more mustaches than gringos, and it surely is culturally and fashion related.

I've taken 5 trips to the DR in the past 6 months and, in all honesty, with the exception of 3 people, I can't recall seeing any other dominicans with facial hair, and I'm not so sure that one of those 3 wasn't a she.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Stodgord said:
Before I go to the Dr, I go to the barber shop to get a hair cut. The Dominican Barbershops offer shaving service. It is part of grooming, you don't know who or what you going to find on your way. First impression counts.

So, I take it then that a cleanly shaven face is more attractive to the women there?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jackquontee said:
I've taken 5 trips to the DR in the past 6 months and, in all honesty, with the exception of 3 people, I can't recall seeing any other dominicans with facial hair, and I'm not so sure that one of those 3 wasn't a she.
The more I think about it, I believe that they used to all have mustaches, but it seems to no longer be fashionable.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Rocky said:
The more I think about it, I believe that they used to all have mustaches, but it seems to no longer be fashionable.

I agree with you Rocky...it seems to be gone...LOL

But the men go to the barbershop alot, they cut their hair, shave, cut eyebrows, do an edge cut in between the regular cuts and so on.

Appearance is important, very important.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
jackquontee said:

I hope you are not planning to shave your mustache Tony, I think it looks great on you.

It's wonderful to be an individual and do what's best for you. ;)

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
AnnaC said:
I hope you are not planning to shave your mustache Tony, I think it looks great on you.

It's wonderful to be an individual and do what's best for you. ;)

Absolutely not. It's as much a part of me as the hair on my head. And, besides, I don't like that being clean shaven makes me look much younger than my 42 years. I know for most people they would prefer that, but I don't have a problem looking my age, and growing old gracefully.:classic: