For those in the DC metro area (and other states)

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
Hello all,

I was grocery shopping this morning at one of my local Trader Joe's (love that store) and I was pleasantly surprised to find Conacado cocoa. It is sold in a 12 oz can under the Trader Joe's name. The can reads Canacado Organic Fair Trade Cocoa. The back of the can states that TJ's purchases it directly from the Conacado grower's cooperative of the Dominican Republic.

Needless to say, I am posting this here so that all of you start buying Conacado from now on. It won't hurt Hershey :classic:

Here's a link to Trader Joe's and their locations.

http://www.traderjoes.com/

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Last edited:

delrosariosr

Feb 17, 2006
Question for anybody out there in the DC area, Im trying to find out if there is any Dominican restaurants in the area. Thanks!

dcareamama

Jul 22, 2004
delrosariosr said:
Question for anybody out there in the DC area, Im trying to find out if there is any Dominican restaurants in the area. Thanks!

Others can tell you more, but there is (or used to be) Mana in MD. I've heard the food has changed over the years, but I wouldn't know it since the last time I was there was in 2001. I took my parents there then and they were not impressed with the food even back then :ermm:

I keep hearing about Carolina's, but have never been there so can't comment. A friend of mine who works at the Dominican Embassy here in DC keeps telling me there is a place the whole Embassy staff orders Dominican food from. I will ask her about it and keep you posted. For what it is worth, Dominican restauranteur Roberto Alvarez owns four different restaurants in Washington, DC. The cuisines are not Dominican, but at the least the owner is ;)

Mr. Alvarez owns Cafe Atlantico, Zaytinya, Jaleo and Oyamel. My husband and I have tried all except Oyamel. The food at Cafe Atlantico keeps getting better each time we dine there.

http://www.cafeatlantico.com/

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
delrosariosr said:

Try "Julita's" at the junction of Riggs & Sargent Rd's. in Langley park, MD.
The food there is not entirely DR, but it's a good place to bring the family.
Prices are a bit high, however, and no liquor served.