Lost Passport...leaving in 6 days to DR!!!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
My travel buddy called me on tuesday night and couldnt find his passport.

We are flying Continental out of newark to SDQ. I know one can get a passport quickly if one has an itenerary printed out etc....but when he called they said the earlierst they could see him is on 2/22...and that is the day we fly out.

I have read some of the threads regarding travel without passports...and his situation is a bit more complicated....as he was born in haiti....but is a US Citizen (non dual citizenship).

I've told him to take all his paper work down to the passport office along with his itenerary from continental and explain the situation. (a few years back i got my passport in 24 hrs).

Does anyone have any info on how to expidite this process....and any warnings about traveling without a passport (especialy being haitian...etc). I just have a gut feeling that it is a bad idea for him to travel with out his US passport.

Thanks

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Here's the info on Continentals website. According to CO, if he has his Naturalization papers and a driver licences with a photo, that should be okay.

/ 16FEB06 / 1229 UTC
National U.S.A. (US) /Embarkation U.S.A. (US)
Destination DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (DO)

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (DO)

Passport recommended.

However, below documents are also accepted provided travelling
for tourist or business purposes:
- original birth certificate or military hospital issued Birth
Certificate accompanied by official photo ID document (i.e.
driver's licence) of holder; or
- Naturalisation papers/certificate and ID card.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
thanks so much! perhaps i am stressing too hard over this. I just dont want any problems entering or leaving. I guess i am just a bit nervous...as my friend is haitian.

well..keeping my fingers crossed that he can get the passport process going today.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Jan 5, 2006
That is very strange, as usually they grant an appointment for the next day. The correct telephone number to schedule an appointment is 1-877-487-2778. From you screen name, I assume that you're in NJ, so if your friend also lives in this area, he has a choice of 2 offices (Manhattan and Philadelphia), which gives him a good shot to get a quick appointment.

midnitemed

Dec 7, 2005
you don't need a passport until the beginning of next year. like was said already, all he needs in his naturalization paperwork,,,no need for a drivers lic. since there is a pic on his nat.papers.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
midnitemed said:
you don't need a passport until the beginning of next year. like was said already, all he needs in his naturalization paperwork,,,no need for a drivers lic. since there is a pic on his nat.papers.

A'A requires a valid passport. I once called them and said if i could travel
w/o passport and they said no. I then called State dept and they said that airlines can put in place their own rules since they are private and don't have to follow same guidelines as state dept states.

jrzguy2

Sep 1, 2004
me again...incognito...

This is..we are flying out of newark..but he lives in boston. he went to the passport office this morning...they said to go back home and call again and if he couldnt an appointment in time..then come back again tomorrow and they would process him (what the? good ole beurocracy!!!

anyhoo...this is all mute at this point...he just called me and he FINALY found the passport in the truck of his car. (i am surpised he didnt find it in the freezer lol).

Well...thanks for the help folks....i can finaly stop stressing :)