Caught condo manager renting condo

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I just caught the manager of my condo complex renting out my condo without my permission. He was caught by the real estate company I hired to sell the unit. He told many lies and in fact he went to the real estate agent a month ago and lied that I emailed him to get the keys to rent it. When I called down there he told me another lie that the people he rented it to came in from the street and wanted to see the condo ( to buy it ) and he let them stay for " a few days " to see how they liked it. The truth is they only came in to rent a place and he charged them $700 USD for three weeks rent. ( My realtor asked them this when they ran into them, the renters, occupying the condo)

Of course when confronted ( via telephone) the manager said I gave him my permission and he did it for me and would give me the $700. The TRUTH is he rented the condo without my permission, got the keys from my real estate agent by lying to them, and he got caught.

Any advice on what can legally be done to this person? I would like to see him arrested and of course fired.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
If he did it to you, he probably did the same to some of the others...Get the money back from him. Change all the locks! Call for an emergency condo meeting and vote him off the board. Canadian Bob.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Several years ago I rented an apartment from a very enterprising young woman. Months later an elderly campesino women accompanied by two relatives showed up at my door and told me that the apartment belonged to her recently deceased son and that she was willing to sell. When I finally got the whole situation sorted out, I learned that the enterprising young woman had come into confidential information of houses and apartments in Santo Domingo that belonged to deceased (murdered) drug traffickers. At the time she was renting out about 200 apartments. She's still in business...

-

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
Well we are having a meeting in March and I will be there and tell the board and hopefully get this person fired. The place is Orilla Del Mar in Cabarete. If you own there, I would not let the management have a key to your place.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You Caught A Dominican Lying? You MUST Be Joking!????

The Dominican owner of a house I was renting in Arroyo Hondo showed up at the door unannounced.He came in, thought the place looked great! He told me that the paint job looked great and he would have to thank the lawyer who was managing his properties! "Why?! I asked
For having the house painted!
I explained that I had the house painted, and paid for it myself,as well as fixing the plumbing,the woodwork,and
Fixing" the 20,000 peso electric bill,and 25,000 peso phone bill!! "What?" he said,The lawyer charged me for all that!"
He was really upset with his lawyer! A "Family Member" he had told me when I signed the rental contract!!A "Lying Bastard" I knew from day one!
"Anyway",he said,"I like the way you are keeping the house and grounds!" "I NEVER rent to Dominicans,they always trash the houses they rent,and don't pay the rent either!"
He went on to say that he was very unhappy that I had not paid the rent for 7 months!"
This of course was a surprise to me!
I went and got the rent receipts that I had to force the lawyer to give me each and every month! He tried to give me a "generic" receipt,but I again demanded a receipt signed by him,with the "Seal/Stamp" of his law office!
"$hit" said the landlord!...Can I have these? "No!" I said,"But You can make copies! (Never know if he could be in on the scam and wantedmy receipts!)
He wasn't,he changed lawyers,and he just forgot about the money,as you should!
Takes more time and trouble than it is worth!
Better to "prevent" the theft,than get any "Justice" here!
You "Prevent" theft here by NEVER trusting ANYONE!
Never pay out money unless you receive the "Goods or Services" at that moment!
Ever try and pay anything with a personal check down here? NOBODY wants it!! For a good reason!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Criss Colon said:
The Dominican owner of a house I was renting in Arroyo Hondo showed up at the door unannounced.He came in, thought the place looked great! He told me that the paint job looked great and he would have to thank the lawyer who was managing his properties! "Why?! I asked
For having the house painted!
I explained that I had the house painted, and paid for it myself,as well as fixing the plumbing,the woodwork,and
Fixing" the 20,000 peso electric bill,and 25,000 peso phone bill!! "What?" he said,The lawyer charged me for all that!"
He was really upset with his lawyer! A "Family Member" he had told me when I signed the rental contract!!A "Lying Bastard" I knew from day one!
"Anyway",he said,"I like the way you are keeping the house and grounds!" "I NEVER rent to Dominicans,they always trash the houses they rent,and don't pay the rent either!"
He went on to say that he was very unhappy that I had not paid the rent for 7 months!"
This of course was a surprise to me!
I went and got the rent receipts that I had to force the lawyer to give me each and every month! He tried to give me a "generic" receipt,but I again demanded a receipt signed by him,with the "Seal/Stamp" of his law office!
"$hit" said the landlord!...Can I have these? "No!" I said,"But You can make copies! (Never know if he could be in on the scam and wantedmy receipts!)
He wasn't,he changed lawyers,and he just forgot about the money,as you should!
Takes more time and trouble than it is worth!
Better to "prevent" the theft,than get any "Justice" here!
You "Prevent" theft here by NEVER trusting ANYONE!
Never pay out money unless you receive the "Goods or Services" at that moment!
Ever try and pay anything with a personal check down here? NOBODY wants it!! For a good reason!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CC for some reason I think you've lived here for more than 2 weeks a year. LOL

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
Well I didn't trust the manager thats why I never left a key at the office. The f*cker went to my real estate agent, knowing I wasn't coming to the DR until March and got the key himself.

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
jerryme said:
I just caught the manager of my condo complex renting out my condo without my permission. He was caught by the real estate company I hired to sell the unit. He told many lies and in fact he went to the real estate agent a month ago and lied that I emailed him to get the keys to rent it. When I called down there he told me another lie that the people he rented it to came in from the street and wanted to see the condo ( to buy it ) and he let them stay for " a few days " to see how they liked it. The truth is they only came in to rent a place and he charged them $700 USD for three weeks rent. ( My realtor asked them this when they ran into them, the renters, occupying the condo)

Of course when confronted ( via telephone) the manager said I gave him my permission and he did it for me and would give me the $700. The TRUTH is he rented the condo without my permission, got the keys from my real estate agent by lying to them, and he got caught.

Any advice on what can legally be done to this person? I would like to see him arrested and of course fired.

steal his 19 girlfriends

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
jerryme said:
Well I didn't trust the manager thats why I never left a key at the office. The f*cker went to my real estate agent, knowing I wasn't coming to the DR until March and got the key himself.
I guess absentee apartments owners, as well as absentee boyfriends/girlfriends need to make unannounced visits to the DR.:(

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
While I am sure that our legal expert will tell you that you do have recourse, he will also probably tell you that "the salt costs more than the goat"( Dominican saying: La sal vale m?s que el chivo)..ie., not worth the effort.

If you can get your $700 back, do so and count your blessings. Change all the locks, and don't leave the keys with anyone...

HB

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
Not surprised.

That is one of the reasons I hesitated to invest in real estate in DR while living outside the country... I have heard many stories.

However, I had a similar experience as the OP a few years ago, but it happened in the U.S. After consulting with a lawyer, I was advised to take the matter up with Small Claims Court, because "the damages were not extensive." Upon getting notification from the court, the person(s) responsible, who denied any wrong-doing to the end, decided to settle out of court.

MeDominican

ElPuma

Jun 28, 2005
"I NEVER rent to Dominicans,they always trash the houses they rent,and don't pay the rent either!"

thats funny, you want to rent an apartment, on that building for the same aparments the dominicans are paying 10000 pesos, but the owner who "never rent to dominicans cause..." want 600 dolares from you!!!
suposedly you should pay less than dominicans...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If I were you I would say to him that it was OK, that I understand he did it for me so just give me the money, but don't do it again without my permission. Once I got the money then I would have him thrown in jail...