amber jewellery

bogdan

Jan 30, 2006
Hi -- Since I was going to be in the DR anyway, and I have several female relatives and friends who would appreciate a little gift, I was wondering whether some amber product would be a good idea. My thinking is that it would be something relatively nice, while at the same time not particularly expensive. That said, I may be completely wrong.

Does the notion of small amber gifts make sense? If so, is there any general advice of how to go about finding and purchasing some in Santo Domingo? Cabarete? (perhaps not such a good place?).

Thanks a lot.
Bogdan

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Bogdan! Both amber and larimar (the beautiful sky-blue stone, unique to Dominican Republic) can range the gamut pricewise. Amber with insect inclusions is at the high end as is larimar which is deep blue. Both have been copied in plastic in cheap silver settings. Buy from jewellery shops, never from beach vendors. I would lean towards larimar , as it is unique here, while amber is found in many other countries. Larimar also takes a very durable polish, while amber is softer and can be scratched. Have fun! Canadian Bob.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Canadian Bob knows whereof he speaks. one important distinction inbuying the jewelry is the setting, which adds to the price. It is possible to buy a good stone in an inferior or just plain setting that wont set you back too much, but the best work costs good money. If you are on the Conde, you can go to the Ambar Museum, facing right onto the parque Colon and have a look at the beautiful displays to get an idea of good quality merchandise. Then, if that is too much for your wallet, you can go to other stores along the conde that might offer something good for a better price. I know of a couple places where you could get a decent deal, but it wont be the equivalent of what you see at the museum. The museum is a cool place to visit, as it has all sorts of explanatory material and an interesting basement as well. Try to avoid the touts and "guides" who will conduct you to "their"stores. It puts too much pressure on you and they are not reliable guides to quality.

The story of Larimar mining is fascinating. The process is unbelievably difficult. They excavate tunnels straight down into the rock, climb down, and pick away in this narrow column or shaft. Remarkable to see. It comes from one area near Barahona. A very unusual stone.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
There is also a shop in Puerto Plata, down on calle Beller ( right downtown ) and a 3 min walk from the amber museum, La Canoa, that has a workshop with both amber and larimar. There, as well as at the Amber Museum, you?ll learn about the differences of the qualities of the stones, age, classification etc.
Do not buy on the beach etc. Amber is an easy stone to fake for the untrained eye, and as the other posters said, there are different pricing anyway.
You can get anything from cheap ( less quality ) up to any amount, so buy at a good place.

I do agree, Larimar is a wonderful stone.

bogdan

Jan 30, 2006
The general opinion seems to be, "do not buy on beach, buy in a (reputable) store". Should I take it that pretty much any store on El Conde, for instance, is a reputable one?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I can only speak for Puerto Plata, but I am sure other members can give info on other cities.
In Puerto Plata, at places such as the Amber Museum, Amber Gallery, Canoa etc you get a certificate with your purchase if it is of a substancial amount.
The less expensive items they sell are still not fake even though without a certificate, as these shops would not risk their reputation on selling fake.
They all work with Dominican amber and larimar from the mines on the island.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
No, not just any story on the Conde. There will be a range of quality and authenticity as well. Caveat emptor, always. Like I said, there is a notable difference in quality between what you find in the Ambar Museum and inthe other stores, though I am sure you can find acceptable items. study the good stuff, adn then make an informed decision.

Maybe ifyou are up in POP you might follow Carina's recommendations, you will probably get a better deal. Everything is more expensive in the capital. If you need help when you pass through the capital, just get in touch. And no, I dont work for any stores! Totally impartial.

bogdan

Jan 30, 2006
Unlikely to make it to PoP -- present plan for itinerary (starting on Thursday!) is SD, Samana-Las Galeras, Cabarete, maybe Sosua and Las Americas to come back home..
I must admit to still be a little bit unsure how to spot a good store -- if it comes down to my ability to tell whether the quality of the ware is high (perhaps based on comparison with the Amber Museum stuff), then I may be on shaky grounds (;-).

G

gary short

bogdan said:
Unlikely to make it to PoP -- present plan for itinerary (starting on Thursday!) is SD, Samana-Las Galeras, Cabarete, maybe Sosua and Las Americas to come back home..
I must admit to still be a little bit unsure how to spot a good store -- if it comes down to my ability to tell whether the quality of the ware is high (perhaps based on comparison with the Amber Museum stuff), then I may be on shaky grounds (;-).
Amber floats in salt water plastic sinks. If you rub amber against cotton it will have a static charge plastic won't. I've bought amber jewelry in Sosua at the store beside the pharmacy. It's the real deal and well set for what I thought was a very resonable price.

marco112

Oct 16, 2004
Hi!

In Santo Domingo Este (zona Oriental) there is a store on Avenida Venezuala with the continuation of whatever 27 de Febrero becomes (beside some gas station, right across from a Burger King), that is quite well known with locals. Most of the ones I know purchase there. I have found the pieces to be beautiful, and priced markedly lower than Zona Colonial. I believe the Ambar is real...it passes the above mentioned tests. Supposedly, it is the co-op workshop that supplies most of the Tourist Areas.

It is a small shop, but you can't miss it. After you take the Duarte Bridge over Rio Ozama heading East, don't take the big tunnel, rather turn left @ first lights. First plaza on right will have the shop.

Good Luck.

ps. The above shop has some pieces that I haven't seen else where, that look quite modern and have been a HUGE hit back home in Canada.

:)