Sosua/Las Canas

BlueLodge

Dec 28, 2005
Just returned from another fact finding trip.
What can a person say about Ocean World other than "magnificent, stupendous, wonderful, great etc". My wife and I enjoyed the first full day so much we booked another day. It just never gets old and we'll go back on the next trip.
We stopped by BlackBeards and were again impressed with service and atmosphere.
A day trip to the reknowned Camp David didn't disappoint. Food was good and prices not out of line.
A few months previous we had agreed to buy a condo at Las Canas so we went to see if things had improved. They have not. My personal opinion is that it's nothing but a scam operation to sucker some in and then the management to bail. The age old axiom of "under promise and over deliver" in no way applies there. We walked around and no one seemed to have anything good to say about the place and these were people living there. The 24 hour power is a fantasy, the wireless internet still isn't there, hot water in the rooms is a pipe dream and the swamp in front still isn't drained. It proves my decision to not buy there was in good order. I have to feel for those that have spent money and only have empty promises. Perhaps things will turn around but management clearly is amatuer at best and the phrase "totally incompetent" is what comes to mind.
This was also our first trip to the VooDoo Lounge. My opinion is that it's a fine place. Drinks are pricey but they have to keep the doors open somehow. We will go back.
Probably the biggest disappointment was Eddy's. Over priced and watered down drinks and no Angels we had heard so much about. Couple that with second rate food, no, make that third rate and it's a never to be there again place. The ribs could be used for frame reinforcement on any car or truck.
I will gladly accept the slow service at Rocky's for the quality and price. Rocky's ribs are glazed, which isn't my favorite of preparation but are head and shoulders above Eddy's/Dori's.
So many shoeshine boys in Sosua that I decided to run a test. I wore an old pair of shoes to the beach that should have been discarded long ago. I waited and drank beer. Sure enough I was not disappointed as several offered to shine my shoes at a good price. Can you really shine rough out leather? Several assured me they could and many had the opportunity to try. It was a fun game as I asked "where's the shine". One kid told me he couldn't shine those shoes because they were rough leather. He was the recepient of not only my rough out leather shoes, but also a 100 peso bill. I walked back to the condo barefooted. I love and reward honesty even though in most parts of the world it should be standard practice. Life is different is Sosua and that's why I keep coming back.
I bought a windchime on the beach. The guy wanted 1200 pesos for this piece of junk that I would normally put in my neighbors trash can so as to not be associated with it. My wife liked it and it digusted me so the guy says to me "yes it's junk, but shouldn't you buy a souvenier?". How could I argue with logic like that? We agreed on 300 pesos and all were happy. I only wished customs had siezed it. Oh well, maybe I can pay a kid to steal it for me.
We will return for Easter so see you then.

Sep 19, 2005
I think , you think like me!

I love the test for the honest shoeshine boy, and then the reward!

thats something I would do, and my girlfreind would roll her eyes at!

many times when these kids come up, I go through a 20 question routine, JUST to be different!

if that windchine was bought on sosua beach then you did alright, because you got to show you were a BUYER, and it only costs 300 pesos, and then you could say to EVERYONE else...hey I bought SOMETHING already!!!!!

believe it or not they let you go with out as big a fight when you have already bought something......

plus if its a slow day or a cloudy day DO NOT WALK that walk

you will be unmercifully hit upon to buy something, because business will be so slow that day!!!!!!

bob

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
BlueLodge said:
A few months previous we had agreed to buy a condo at Las Canas so we went to see if things had improved. They have not. My personal opinion is that it's nothing but a scam operation to sucker some in and then the management to bail. The age old axiom of "under promise and over deliver" in no way applies there. We walked around and no one seemed to have anything good to say about the place and these were people living there. The 24 hour power is a fantasy, the wireless internet still isn't there, hot water in the rooms is a pipe dream and the swamp in front still isn't drained. It proves my decision to not buy there was in good order. I have to feel for those that have spent money and only have empty promises. Perhaps things will turn around but management clearly is amatuer at best and the phrase "totally incompetent" is what comes to mind.
It appears to me that the new owner, rentor or administrator, whichever he is, has bitten off more than he can chew, trying to fill the place up.
It must be costing him more to operate than the revenue that it is producing.
It would have been a very risky purchase and a good idea that you backed out of the deal.
That's not to say that it is impossible that they hold it together and that those who did purchase there, would have got a good deal, but, as you said, it's going downhill quick.

jmsunlinenet

May 24, 2005
Shoeshine boys

It seems a bit cruel to play tricks on the shoeshine boys. Most of them are doing it because they are desperately poor and need to make a few pesos to survive.

One I know quite well is Roberto, a rather chubby youth of 15. Roberto is a rather quiet and well-mannered boy who has epilepsy. As you may know, there are two shifts of school in the DR and Roberto goes to school in the evening. Every morning he is working in Sosua to make money to pay for antiseizure medication. If he doesn't get the medication, he is more likely to have seizures, which will probably cause neurological dysfunction and ultimately shorten his life.

I really cannot see how the author of this report offering shoeshine boys unshineable shoes as a test of their moral qualities is defensible. This guy is probably some old soak who gets his kicks out of acting like he is someone when in Sosua, because at home he is a nobody.

Sep 19, 2005
jmsunlinenet said:
It seems a bit cruel to play tricks on the shoeshine boys.

what is cruel about seeing if a kid will attempt to make money off someone when they know they cant do the job asked?

I really cannot see how the author of this report offering shoeshine boys unshineable shoes as a test of their moral qualities is defensible. when in .

what does having epsilepsey have to do with wether a shoe shine boy has morals or not?

are you saying that because the child has a problem, he has a get out of being honest card???

..it would different if he actually talked to Roberto and belittled him after knowing the child had a problem

to my knowledge that info wasnt posted here

bob

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
BlueLodge said:
I wore an old pair of shoes to the beach that should have been discarded long ago.

He was the recepient of not only my rough out leather shoes, but also a 100 peso bill.
I would be impressed if you took him to a store and bought him a pair of shoes that he could use instead of your smelly old garbage.

I'm sure most of them would glady try to shine your sandals if you let them.
Seems more like a sign of desperation than a lack of honesty.

I have a lot of respect for these kids trying to make an honest living in such a difficult environment.
I like to bring a tiny bit of cheer to their lives even though I usually am not wearing anything for them to shine.
I like to give them some candy, gum, pizza, coke, and sometimes a little cash.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jmsunlinenet said:
It seems a bit cruel to play tricks on the shoeshine boys. Most of them are doing it because they are desperately poor and need to make a few pesos to survive.
I don't want to sit in judgement, but I have to agree, that it seems a bit cruel.
Perhaps the person doing it didn't think of that aspect, and I do understand how bothersome the shoeshine boys can be, but it's wrong to mess with them in that way.

Sep 19, 2005
but Rocky he hired the shoe shine boys to shine his ugly unshinable shoes...!!!they got paid

there are a few choices for describing the kids

1 could be that the kids knew they couldnt shine them and went ahead anyway just to get the money

2 could be the some kids didnt really know if the shoes could be shined or not, and just went ahead as usualy

3 could be the thing the poster was looking for ..a kid who happen to KNOW they couldnt be shined, and was mature enough or was raised well enough, ( or maybe even wasnt DESPERATE enough to LIE) and told the truth .

and thus #3 was rewarded

I didnt read that the poster DID NOT PAY for the services of the shoe shine boys who went ahead and tried to shine unshinable shoes

so were is the cruelty???????????

its part of life for young people to learn how to fit into society...interaction from adults in any form can deliver this information

same goes for when I ask these kids lots of questions before I hire them

its part INTERACTION between two different people from different places in the world, and its part to stimulate the kid into thinking about SOMETHING......... maybe it goes over his head.. maybe he learns... who knows, information is good...even if it doesnt all sink in , or never gets used..... let the recipient decide

I never belittle the kids... even the ones that pester me the whole while i am having a meal.. and he wants to shine my shoes or just wants cash... the WHOLE TIME I EAT MY MEAL

because I know they dont have it so good

bob

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have done worse things in my life, and, like I said, I will not sit in judgement.
It just flips in my belly.
When that happens, even if my brain can't rationalize what's wrong, then I trust my belly, if you know what I mean.

PS: I don't mean to insinuate that anyone had bad intentions...

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
laurapasinifan said:
so were is the cruelty???????????
bob
To me this is sort of like testing the honesty of a starving person by leaving out some food that they could easily get away with stealing.
Come back and the food is still there and then reward them with a bit of cash and the scraps you were going to throw in the garbage.:tired:

guananico

Jul 12, 2006
Read my post

under real estate inquiries...LIAR LIAR, about Las Canas.

Yes, that was confusing....sorry. I made a long post about Las Canas in the Real Estate section, thread; Real Estate inquiry.

Last edited:

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Well i had a good meal and a nice drink with Eddy in his sports bar!
I think its a great place!

Didnt get a shoe shine thou - and remember this thread when it first came up. Marco's view of it "flips in the belly" is correct.

Its kind of taking the pi$$ out of them.

Anyway - cheers to Eddy and his fantastic bar!

Dan

guananico

Jul 12, 2006
Band aid on cancer

Great! They finally got the pool open again! Historically they fix things with band aids...I wonder when the pool will have to be drained again to fix the previous band aid? I have heard differently as to having 24/7 power.

Wondering if previous poster is included in Las Canas management or is just trying to reassure himself that he made the right decision.

I heard the restaurant may close due to lack of business. I feel bad for Uwe and Monica because they are wonderful people and they serve a great meal but just picked the wrong spot.

How is the lobby bar doing that was supposed to be open in April? How bout the Sports bar that was to open? Any mini market? I'll bet that shuttle is working out well...........blah, blah, blah.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Glad I read all of this thread.

Hope that the OP, come to Santiago for more than Camp David, although that is still a beautiful spot!!

Can't opine on Las Canas, but would hope that Badpiece is happy there. As for Eddy's food, I haven't eaten there but once at a DR1 gathering and it was fine. Drinks? All I ever drink is beer and that is good and cold, but of course, I had angels serving it....Worth going back.
Rocky's is Rocky's....#1 ribs and garlic chicken and deserts (at least the ones i have tried) are super!!

Guananico, weren't you supposed to visit me a while ago? Or was i supposed to visityou??

HB :D:D

guananico said:
Great! They finally got the pool open again! Historically they fix things with band aids...I wonder when the pool will have to be drained again to fix the previous band aid? I have heard differently as to having 24/7 power. I was there for 3 weeks and just left Monday,and had power pretty much 24/7. You are right they will screw the pool up again someday.

Wondering if previous poster is included in Las Canas management or is just trying to reassure himself that he made the right decision.Ask anyone that knows me here I am not part of managment there I am just a guy enjoying the ride. I never would buy there I would only rent.

I heard the restaurant may close due to lack of business. I feel bad for Uwe and Monica because they are wonderful people and they serve a great meal but just picked the wrong spot.Uwe and Monica are long gone there is a new owner of restaurant and the pool bar is open in the middle of the pool, lobby bar doesnt exist anymore.

How is the lobby bar doing that was supposed to be open in April? How bout the Sports bar that was to open? Any mini market? I'll bet that shuttle is working out well...........blah, blah, blah. Lobby bar doesnt exist anymore, Sports bar???? LOL was a pipe dream,just come and enjoy the pool and the mismanagment.