How can I book an act in the DR

Blairsmom

Mar 7, 2006
Does anyone know how I can book an act in clubs around the DR, perhaps even in the resorts??

I am looking to bring a hip hop group to the DR this summer.

Thanks

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Club Manager

I run a club in the uk - from the limited info you give I would want to hear the CD of their music to make sure they are right for my market.

Im guessing these guys you have are not world famous and its a promo act - so, if you get the CD to the club manager and they like it they will take your act - normally you just work for "travel exps" and drinks in the UK.

Cant imagin that it would work that differently in the DR?

Good luck to you - if your ever in the uk get a CD to me and i may be able to help you!

Cheers

Dan

Blairsmom said:
Does anyone know how I can book an act in clubs around the DR, perhaps even in the resorts??

I am looking to bring a hip hop group to the DR this summer.

Thanks

Blairsmom

Mar 7, 2006
Dan, thanks for your quick reply. Subkrew is not world famous, yet--I'm working on it though! They have been making their rounds in clubs in the San Francisco area and Washington, DC/Baltimore area. I'd love to send you a CD, let me know where.

Thanks again.

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
stay home

just great, America spreading its culture to another unsuspecting country AGAIN. Just when i thought i had finally found a place that is pristine and largely untouched by America. Along comes another American hip hop /rap group wanting to share their 'oh so awful lives' as decribed within their profanity laden verses. As far as im concerned, you and your band can stay in the getto. i wish you all the bad luck i can!. for the record ive been a proffessional singer and musician for 20 plus years

Blairsmom said:
Dan, thanks for your quick reply. Subkrew is not world famous, yet--I'm working on it though! They have been making their rounds in clubs in the San Francisco area and Washington, DC/Baltimore area. I'd love to send you a CD, let me know where.

Thanks again.

Blairsmom

Mar 7, 2006
Professional singer? You don't sound professional to me...if anything you sound like a wanna be that never will be!!! especially with that attitude.

FYI--our music is free of profanity! and our artist are college educated brothers. They may not come from the ghetto but that doesn't keep them from writing good music. Only a small mind like yours would assume that all hip hop is profane and negative. It sounds like you just wasted 20 years of your life, I am a native of the DR, maybe YOU should leave and make room in the island for positive people!

Nelly is correct haven't you even heard of reggaeton? maybe the rock you live under only transmits limited music.

P.S. mrmagic -- you spell professional with only one "F"-- put down the mic and pickup a dictionary.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
mrmagic said:
just great, America spreading its culture to another unsuspecting country AGAIN. Just when i thought i had finally found a place that is pristine and largely untouched by America. Along comes another American hip hop /rap group wanting to share their 'oh so awful lives' as decribed within their profanity laden verses. As far as im concerned, you and your band can stay in the getto. i wish you all the bad luck i can!. for the record ive been a proffessional singer and musician for 20 plus years
I'm not a fan of rap either mrmagic but ever hear of freedom of speach. Maybe you should change your name to mrhappy.;)

duane gettis

Mar 2, 2004
Is there a problem with jazz? Is that offensive to you, too, mrmagic? With that attitude you should have gone to a different country. I am glad people like you are out of the US but too bad you are here in the DR with me.

I personally dislike rap music and have since the '70's, but unlike you, I don't see any benefit to making a public proclamation about how it somehow denegrates my experience in this country. I don't know where you live or how you could possibly think you had "finally found a place that is pristine and largely untouched by America." I see American influence here everywhere I go and it is the same everywhere I have been in the world. America doesn't necessarily "force" itself on any culture. Most people adopt it because they LIKE it. They may or may not have bad taste in doing that, but they ought to have the "right" to choose without a self-appointed, Cultural Police Officer, like yourself, telling them they ought to shun outside influences in order to guarantee YOU a place to live that is idyllic, only from some 1940's film noir, condecending depiction of the "perfect little tropical isle."

This is not Gilligan's Island. Tempus Fugit.

NOW... if anyone does have information, I'd like to get it to a jazz band I was with who is extensively world traveled via the USO.

Thanks,
Duane

Blairsmom

Mar 7, 2006
Duane-

Has your jazz group been to NYC? I have contacts at the Village Vanguard. Besides being a manager for a hip hop group, we are also into jazz (we are not limited in our love of music). Please reply.

Blairsmom