Feast of the Goat - Santo Domingo premiere

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Today's Diario Libre has the date:

Monday 10th April is the charity gala premiere.
Tuesday 11th is the general release, at the Malecon Center, Santo Domingo, 7:30 pm

Sep 20, 2003
The internet movie database has some reviews of the film from regular people on it. (Not professional critics)

I get the impression that the film has already been released in the DR. Is that correct? Was the release date pushed up?

POSSIBLE SPOILER AHEAD. STOP READING IF YOU DON'T WANT A MAJOR PLOTLINE GIVEN AWAY.

People seem very critical of the rape scene at the end of the film. They talk about it being so vile. Well, rape is vile. Why try to soften the impact of something like that? The rape of Urania is central to her charater.

I saw the NYC theater version of it. The rape scene was done in a clever way, with a large white sheet acting as a bed sheet. The actress lay under part on one side of the stage, the actor portraying Trujillo stood on the other side, perhaps 15 feet away. The actor playing Trujillo was shaking in a rage, screaming his lines while he simulated raping the little girl. It was all theatrics, but none the less, quite disturbing.

I remember my friend's reaction sitting next to me. She was gasping outloud, stunned by what was happening. She had not read the book. She was not aware of what was going to happen. She was not prepared . I was quite aware what was about to happen, but it really didn't do much to soften the effect it had on me. Quite unsettling. But effective.

The reviews are mixed.

Last edited:

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Quick Review

I viewed the movie yesterday and I must say it is not bad. I don't want to compare it to the book just due to the fact the book is over 500 pages while the movie is a measly 2 hours, therefore in the book the relationships were better developed and one can grow and care for the characters. I give the script a B- grade (former sentence explains), the movie seemed rushed, the acting is definitely an A, great all the way, and finally the directing is a solid B-, some scenes felt as if they dragged to long w/o purpose i.e. the 4 guys in the car.

Contre to what some other reviewers said on imdb, the movie is not all the bloody, it is nothing like scarface. The rape scene is quite "disturbing" but than again when isn't rape disturbing? I think the director and actors handeled that scene quite well and it definitely leaves an impression. I friend said he found the personal struggle of Urania w/ her father over dramatic but I think it is realistic.

All in all, I found it enjoyable, go see it!

Paz,
Capo

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I don't know about it playing in DC or anywhere here in the US....all I know is that while I was there last week, we were approached at the beach by some guys with copies of the movie...ALREADY!!!

MQ

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
We also were approached at colmados in Santo Domingo with DVD copies of Feast of the Goat and Ice Age2 early last week. No, we didn't bite, but hey, they don't even respect the work product of fellow dominicanos.