ESL Teacher looking for work in SD

Status
Not open for further replies.

joser

Mar 29, 2006
Hi, I am a Canadian ESL teacher and I have only 1 year experience teaching English. I have a college diploma in TESL and I am having a hard time finding a good position in SD. Heres how my interviews went:

The American School of Santo Domingo - 24,000 monthly no housing no visa
told me to email them in March and never responded.

Instututo (I think it was Dominicano Americano, something like that)- 2$ per hour, no visa no housing no medical (They wanted me right away but the pay is to low)

New Horizons- 24,000 monthly including shared accomodations (said that they would call me, never did)

School of Carol morgan- told me their other applicants had higher education than I, so forget about it

Now, does any one have any suggestions where I would have any luck
with my experience and education?
I prefered sharred accomodations, visa airfare and at least 24,000 pesos.
Does anyone know of anything close to that being offered in SD?

Thanks for your help
josie

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Call New Horizons and the American school again. It is almost always up to the applicant to pursue the job, esp. in a long-distance situation. Just passively taking on the role of they didn't call back so I am going to give up won't get you any jobs.

joser

Mar 29, 2006
I have called New Horizons

I have called the school and they told me they will mail me a letter regarding a second interview in May. I guess I have to accomodate myself and pay for my airfare again.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
You have to invest to rake in that lucrative $750 a month . Shopping for appliance cartons for housing is a top priority. - ricktoronto

Come on Rick, cut joser some slack. I agree the salarie is not great but it also includes housing as a perk, so no need for the cartons. ;)

Joser is coming down in pursuit of a much better job than many of the expats who only have a vague idea about how they will be supporting themselves in "paradaise" where it must be cheap to live. :cheeky:

No one becomes a teacher with a view to getting rich but I would say joser is pursuing one of the top five teaching jobs on the island if you are considering pay, perks, and social opportunities for new expats.

Good luck with your job search joser, we will still be in country in May. Feel free to pm me if you would like to meet while you are here in the DR.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
She said it in fact did not include housing (I think) and she had to fly on her own dime. To get less than US minimum wage seems pointless and it is hard to live on and she should know that. "Having to accommodate herself" I hope that term isn't tought to the students since it is sort of hard to understand what she means. I read it to mean she has to pay for accommodations.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
New Horizons- 24,000 monthly including shared accomodations (said that they would call me, never did) - joser (first post of thread)

I think that the job, if joser gets it, does come with shared housing.

[I]I guess I have to accomodate myself and pay for my airfare again -joser[/I]

I believe this statement is refering to having to pay to go in May for an on site job interview with the school.

I agree that this is low wages for the US or Canada but it is pretty good for here, esp. if rent for a shared apartment is one of the perks. Joser sounds young and if he/she has few responsibilities this might be the time to have a "working adventure" where you don't save a lot of money, but you learn and experience things that would not be possible later in life when you have to worry about a spouse and kids. Besides if he/she likes international teaching it might be the start of a career in teaching that, depending on where you teach, is actually a quite good balance between lifestyle/experience/saving potential.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Any more chit-chat and joser will lose his/her opportunity to talk about education. Geez guys .. we need good educators. Let us encourage someone who is willing to work for little money and educate.

joser, good luck to you. I hope that you get the job and educate well! We need educators.

For the rest of you, consider the guidelines of using this forum - http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47756
especially the section on the idle rich and those with too much time on their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.