2 good tours on North Shore

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
#1- Jurassy Tours Buggy Ride. 3hr. tour through sugar cane fields with 2 stops- one near La Coobacha for drinks and a second stop at Bergantine beach. 2 solid hours of driving "Odessy" type 4 wheelers. Took this tour on a rainey day- boys (13 and 16) had a ball splashing each other as they roared through huge mud puddles on the dirt roads of the fields. Drove through downtown Monte Llano on our way to Bergantine. Cost in brochure was $70- with a group of 4 got it for $55. Jurassy Tours is located on the second floor of the Playa Dorado Plaza. WEAR OLD CLOTHES!! We had mud everywhere and threw ours out after the tour. Lots of fun if you don't mind getting REALLY dirty!!!

#2- Nuestra Escuela surf school- on Encuentro Beach just before cabarete. Good English speaking instructors. Took plenty of time training our first time surf boarders. 2hrs. of training/supervised surfing with a guarentee of "standing up". Jacob (13) was up on the first wave, Carl (16) on his 3rd. After the 2hrs were up the instructor (Frank) said the boys could keep going on their own for the rest of the day no extra charge, and if they wanted to come back the next day could surf for free. Cost was $40US each which for 2 days seems like a good value to me. When you get to the "T" at the beach hang a left, stop when you get to the beach bar, school is on the right. Would definately do these tours again.

Sep 19, 2005
I have done the ATV tours three times now....I would add another tip

for those who dont have clothes to throw away or may want to drive someplace afterwards.....super dry conditions can be just as bad as super wet conditions.....

the first trip it had rained a little earlier... and when we drove the road in between all those cane fields it was a blast and we could crank!!!!!!!

then we went on another trip and it had been super dry and nice for a few days before...we went up into the mountains...through trenches of mud and creeks ...and i said..."hey lets go down on the flats by the cane fields!"

he sdaid OK...well we got down there and it was a dust bowl!!!!! brutal even breathing if you drove behind someone... and you all cant ride side by side....and you are covered with dust, and have to breath it all in!!!!!! it sucked bug time.

if you go in a big group, you have little leverage to ask to do somehting different, or make a stop at a place YOU like..

if you go in your own little group you can ask to stop when ever you like

but they have CANNED places they always stop....where the guy selling the drinks or food is connected somehow to the guide.....

once the guy tried to nail me with a rediculous bill for what we ate............

funny teh time before he didnt.....so good luck

bob

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Thanks Bob for the addition. The first stop near La Coobacha I think is what you refered to. Buy a big bag of Cheez doodles (maybe 25) for $500p (16US). No thanks, brought own own stuff to give out. Didn't think the drinks were too bad however. 1 Grande, 3 rum/cokes, 2sodas for $400p. Not exorbitant.

Status
Not open for further replies.