Personal Safety

sharrisonb

Apr 4, 2006
Hi - my first time to any of the DR1 forums and very useful they are too. My husband, me and our two children 17 and 13 are coming to DR Playa Dorada for the first time in July. We have been put off by some comments by friends that have been - they have said they didn't feel safe when out and about.

However in all the guide books and forums there is no mention of a problem with safety other than the normal precautions you would take whenever you are abroad or at home.

We like to get out of the resort hotels and go by public transport etc into local areas - will we be ok to do this?

Any advice greatly appreciated

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Use common sense as you would in any city. Walk with confidence. The Dominican people are very friendly and hospitable and welcome tourists to their country. Hire a taxi driver to take you into the city, if your seen with a local you won't be bothered and he can translate for you if you don't speak Spanish.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Don't be afraid and go for it!
I have always stayed in Playa Dorada and I leave all the time to explore and I have never had a problem. Just as Hylwd said use your common sense as you would anywhere you go it's great advice!
It's much more fun getting out of your resort area and exploring the DR as well !! :)
Have fun I always do :)

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
If you are staying in an AI resort and if there is a way to remove your AI wrist band or hide it (under a wrist tennis sweat band) do so. That will leave less of a bulls eye on your back and less hassle from the local "street merchants". As has been said before use common sense and have a great time.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Keep in mind too, that a great deal of the "danger" is spoken of by the resorts/tour companies as a means of keeping you there to spend money in their shops and use their services for which they receive a cut.

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Keep in mind too, that a great deal of the "danger" is spoken of by the resorts/tour companies as a means of keeping you there to spend money in their shops and use their services for which they receive a cut.

I can vouch for that one 100%. On my first trip during the "briefing" by our Sunquest rep, she was telling us all how horribly dangerous things were... and how booking through tour companies other than ones she offered were dangerous, etc...

The wife talked me into a Puerto Plata tour with the rep - sadly, all they did was bring us from one tourist gift shop to the next. It reeked of kickbacks.

Honestly, the only time I truly felt unsafe was when I was with the tour group. It screamed GULLIBLE TOURIST, and attracted the bottom feeders like a shark to blood. Out and about alone was a completely different experience.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I'll bet the kids would really enjoy a trip to Cabarete, the beach there is cool because of all of the wind surfers and kite surfers, it's quite a sight.

Sep 19, 2005
unsafe in what means? there is little if any chance you will get HURT, or attacked! no more than right where you live now I bet...maybe even less.

sure there will be people ij those town that key in on trying to make a quick buck , and that mean trying to steal you money. A wallet, a purse left unattended, maybe even a watch....but with the number of people who go to these areas the % is very low. You may have a greater chance of drowning in the hotel pool! or falling down theri stairs. Things like robberies grab headlines. I think the tourist areas are probably safer per person than the other big cities on the island. For a man Id take a wllet with almost nothing in it.....and put most of your money in seperate pockets, if that fateful day come and they ask for you wallet , give it to them, and they run away....you lost a $10 wallet!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck

bob

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
CommTHOR said:

Honestly, the only time I truly felt unsafe was when I was with the tour group. It screamed GULLIBLE TOURIST, and attracted the bottom feeders like a shark to blood. Out and about alone was a completely different experience.

The Hamaca takes groups of tourists half in the bag and sends them around at 50 mph on Boca Chica streets on ATV's which are dangerous enough sober and in a confined area, this after the tour rep preaches on the dangers of leaving their gated walls.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Yes. Yes, and Yes. But consider Sosua as well as Cabarete and Puerto Plata. We did the AI route a few times but now travel with independant hotel bookings. If you get out and explore a bit you might find that next year you'll want to do the same. (If you're Canadian, stuff that fooler wallet with Canadian Tire money -- looks great.)