Dominican Credit Card overbilled by American Company

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I will of course be investigating with my local bank, Banco de Progreso, but while that goes on I was wondering if anybody on this board knows what, if anything can be done.

The situation is that a US based company quoted me a certain amount, $900 to provide a particular service and I am finding out over a month later that they actually billed me $1150 for this service.

I called them about it and now they are saying that they provided a slightly different service than the one they quoted and that the price for the service they actually provided does indeed cost this amount.

(There is nothing secret or taboo about the service in question, it's just boring shop-talk that is kind of specialized for a particular industry and would take a long time to explain so that's why I am not mentioning it.)

The last thing I heard form them is that they would "see what they could do" but I am wondering if there is a way for me to take control of the situation myself and see what I can do.

This was NOT an online transaction but was carried out via phone, fax, and a few emails.

Any ideas?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The first question that comes to mind is, will you need this service or vendor again in the future?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
No. Absolutely not.

Let me tell you what happenned since you and I are basically in a similar business.

I paid for a DNC scrubbed lead list fitting certain filters. I was quoted a certain price and as I described above noticed they actually charged me more. They even charged me 25 bucks for "delivery" to email me the spreadsheet.

Their explanation was that one of the filters carries an extra charge, hence the higher price but obviously in that case the quote should have reflected that.

I discovered that they had lied to me about the DNC scrubbing as well, since I found one of the numbers they sold me on the FCC's website on a date prior to the date they claimed to have scrubbed on.

But it was a done deal by then and not much I could do except painstakingly re-scrub myself.

To answer your question I will not be doing business with these folks again.

P.S. I just got an email from them claiming they refunded the excess amount, so I guess that's one problem solved.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
It still doesn't compensate you for your time and effort in rescrubbing a list. In addition, by providing a list containing DNC's it placed your clients, and ultimately you in a postion of liability. I would be tempted to dispute the entire charge with my credit card and let them prove that they provided a DRN scrubbed list as you requested. For those unfamiliar, DNC is abbreviation for "Do Not Call". These are numbers which have registered with the national do not call list so as not to be contacted by telemarketers. There are steep fines for violating this.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
I have a feeling that getting the charge reversed by Banco de Progreso is going to be more of a hassle than the potential rewards, and if right now if I were unable to use my CC for some reason my new buisiness would be in deep trouble.

So even though it is a small risk it is an unacceptable one.