North Coast vacation in june

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busala

Apr 9, 2006
This is my first time posting. The information I've gotten from this forum is more helpful than anything I've found online. Maybe you all can help steer me in the right direction for my first DR vacation.

I'm going to DR June 8-12.
From what I've read so far, the North Coast seems like a good fit for me. I'm just not sure how to narrow down my search. Basically I'm looking for a place that is not AI. I would much rather walk into town for food, drinks etc.
I would like to be on the beach, have a pool and be within walking distance to places to have a beer and some local food.
Sosua and Puerto Plata look good. Any suggestions?

It's for two adults, flying into Santiago. Our idea of a good time is reading a book on the beach, drinking beer, walking around...yeah, we're pretty boring. Something more on the quiet side would suit us. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I'd go out on a big limb and say that for that short a stay, Tropix would be perfect. Quiet, yet within walking distance of most of what you want to do, so type in Tropix in the Search function and check them out. Also go to debbiesdominicantravels.com and see what people have said about the place.

There is also a good thread on where to eat in Sos?a.

/enjoy

HB:p

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
Also consider Hotel Waterfront in Sosua. I stayed there last month for $25 (no a/c) and $30 (with a/c). The rooms are just ok (the fridge must have been 35 years old!) but everything else is really nice. Its on Playa Alicia (which is better than Sosua beach because there are no shops), it has a pool, a good restaurant, friendly service and you can walk to everything in Sosua from there. Its the best deal I've found in the DR.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As mentioned, the Waterfront is right on the ocean and I agree, that although the rooms are basic and do not have a view, the hotel grounds are great.
Sosua By The Sea could be an option as well, but it will be pricier.
Tropix is nowhere near the ocean, btw.
There are lots of condos that have ocean views and withing walking distance to the beach.
Another option is to stay at Casa Marina, Beach or Reef.
Although it is an all inclusive hotel, frequently you will find package deals that are no more expensive than the flight alone, and, as it is located right in the heart of Sosua, you can benefit from walking out the door and being right there in the thick of it.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I think Tropix is a bit to remote, on the wrong side of the highway. There is a lot of nice hotels that is closer to everything.

web

Nov 5, 2005
I just got back from DR. Originally had reservations at Waterfront Hotel, but changed plans upon arrival and a look at the room. Although the hotel grounds are very nice and the Restaurant precedes itself, the rooms are not nice at all. Very small and basic. So I went to Sosua by the Sea. I was very, very pleased. Great location, within easy walking distance or 1 min or less motoconcho ride to town center. You do not need to get an all inclusive deal. They are right on the beach, all activities available. Restaurant, bar, great pool, all on site. Excellent service as well, great staff. 2 persons I think from $60 US per night.

Don't forget to call Juan Julio for transportation from STI to Sosua.
ofc 809-582-5112
cell 809-357-6049
email palomalinda0890@hotmail.com

Busala

Apr 9, 2006
Thank you all. I looked at all 3 suggestions. I liked the Waterfront. The above post says the rooms aren't so great. Anything in particular, or just run down and basic? I read a good review for the Waterfront. I also just looked at Sosua by the Sea. My problem is, I'm in desperate need of a vacation, so everything looks great to me.
I'll search this sight for more reviews.
I'll probably be asking a bunch of questions leading up to the trip.....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sosua By The Sea rooms would be a lot more luxurious, as the price would reflect.
If you're like me and just need a clean place to bed down, with the necessary services, then the Waterfront would do fine.
If you like hanging in your room and feeling a bit pampered, SBTS would the better choice.

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
The rooms I had at the Waterfront were in the 2 story building in the back. The maids keep them very clean, but they are basic - a double and twin bed, a table and 2 chairs, a closet,a porch with chairs, and a bathroom with hot shower. There are fridges that work fine, but are so old the maids have to carry them outside to defrost everytime someone checks out! No TV/VCR/DVD etc. The A/C room had a softer mattress than the non-AC room so you may want to have Erica show you a couple when (if) you check-in. Also, I wouldn't say that either of my rooms were small, they were comparable to any hotel or motel I've ever stayed in.

Personally, I only spent about 8 hours a day in the room (to sleep). The rest of the time I was at the beach, the pool, or out exploring Sosua/Cabarete. If this sounds like you then you'll like the Waterfront. Otherwise, you may want to try something a little more luxurious.

Chris

sunnyvillas

Blocked due to spamming
Apr 29, 2003
Hillbilly said:
I'd go out on a big limb and say that for that short a stay, Tropix would be perfect. Quiet, yet within walking distance of most of what you want to do, so type in Tropix in the Search function and check them out. Also go to debbiesdominicantravels.com and see what people have said about the place.

There is also a good thread on where to eat in Sos?a.

/enjoy

HB:p

Hola and a Hapy Semana Santa to you !

Busala

Apr 9, 2006
okay, one more question. Best way to book Hotel Waterfront? I emailed them, no reply. Are they English speaking, should I call?

Also, one hotel I emailed told me that it's like 19% fee if I book with credit card, so I should reserve with card but pay cash at hotel. Is that the norm?
Got pricing from Sosua by the Sea and was $90 night. Although it looks so nice, want to go cheaper, Waterfront suits me fine. Thanks

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006
I didn't reserve in advance, but I doubt they'll ask for a deposit. Maybe just your card number. We stayed for 5 nights the first time and at no point had we given either a deposit or a credit card.

Tip: check your phone rates before you call. I just got back to find my phone company was charging US $3.71 per minute while I was making reservations!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.