Caribbean Village Playa Dorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

Mar 31, 2006
Hello everyone,

We are getting a good deal on the Caribbean Village Playa Dorado and would appreciate any feedback you can give us on the resort.

How far from Puerto Plata airport?

How is the condition of the resort; ie, rooms, lobby, food, beach, pool?

What are the best room locations for some serious quiet time but a nice view as well?

What are the must see things in this area? We have never been to the North Coast of the Dominican and look forward to doing some exploring and great eating in some of the local restaurants. Any suggestions as to what not to miss and where to get a good meal with a good view?

Okay well thats all I can think of for now but I'm sure in the next month before we leave will think of many more questions to ask all of you North Coast experts.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses to our inquiries.

Debbie and Jim
Cleveland, OH

Debbie:

A decent 3 star resort surrounded by the golf course, shares the Brazilian restaurant with Fun
Royale this restaurant has excellent food. Short walk to the beach. It is about 10-15 minutes from the airport. Check out Rocky's in Sosua for excellent ribs.
Ocean World is a must on the north coast.

Your buddy Hlywud

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
I'm nowhere near an "expert" (only just booked my second trip to the North coast), but the must do's:

-Ocean World. (Wife insisted we go again this time, even though it's a bit pricy)
-Sosua. Beautiful beach. I'm truly hoping the ribs at Rocky's doesn't dissapoint me like the Matrix Reloaded. (All hype, no bite) ;)

Watch out for:
-Driving. Don't bother. Your bus trip from the airport will explain it all. <shudder>
-Puerto Plata/Amber museum tour. Ripoff. They shuttle you from one tourist shop to the next.

Tashi

Mar 31, 2006
Thanks so much for the quick responses. One month and counting!!! Bring on that yummy Presidente nectar that we are sooooo thirsty for, hehe!! Thanks again.

Debbie and Jim

shuffine

Jan 17, 2006
Debbie and Jim...if you have a car

drive the north coast road (RD #5 east ) to sosua, cabarete,cabrerra. rio san juan...and if you have enough time and a free nite make it out to the Samana penninsula (Las Terrenas)...across the MTN's and down to the beach...lots of little places to stay for $40 a nite.

i drive all over the DR and it's not all that bad

ask for a room away from the pool and more towards the back of the village (more walking...but less noise if there's a crowd there)...i stayed here my first trip and enjoyed it. get to know the bartender(s) in the lobby...they'll pour you a good glass mug of beer if you ask for it.

good luck and have fun...the DR is a great place!

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
"What are the must see things in this area? "

Be sure to get to Sosua and walk the beach. One kilometre of casetas -- bars, restaurants, souvenir shops . . . an experience in itself.

Spend a day in Cabarete -- a bit further from Playa Dorado than Sosua. Devoted mostly to wind and wave sports, but even if that's not your scene it's a day well wasted.

Puerto Plata -- the city -- is a bit past it, but still interesting as a Latin American town. Probably an organised trip there. Rum factory, Amber Museum, expensive shop or two . . . Ho Hum.

Travel options outdside the resort area include: local and very cheap gua-gua (little bus or van), taxi, rental car . . . and of course organised trips. Will include: back of a truck (may be more fun than it sounds), drive your own jeep (in convoy), bus tours of . . , boat trip to snorkelling etc.

If you're taking gua-guas somewhere -- I advise a taxi back if it's after dark (7 pm +).

Be careful crossing streets and highways. Drivers don't have the awareness of/for pedestrians that you migth expect.

Is this the sort of info you're looking for?

Tashi

Mar 31, 2006
Thanks so much for the great information. Thought of one more question --

Can anyone provide me an email address for this resort? Like to email before arrival for room requests.

Thanks again everybody....

Debbie

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I can't, but maybe googling it . . . ? BTW don't be surprised if you don't get what you want in a room. Over the years -- we've done our time in AIs -- we've found that a request for "top floor" often gets you whatever else you want (ocean-view etcetera . . .) It seeems there are some guests who ask for ground floor or not too high up. Just a thought.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
also . . . I heard once that good colloquial Spanish helps in your phone call or e-mail to resort hotels. I have no personal opinions on that, but it seems like a sound idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.