DR's our Wal*Mart, Canadians say ..but....

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Upscale oases dot Dominican Republic

Canada's second-most-popular winter getaway has a chic factor

Canadians' long love affair with the Dominican Republic doesn't show any signs of cooling off. But what if the Latin American island were to suddenly sport a gussied-up new look? Would sun-seekers begin to wonder who they've been dating all this time? Or would it add some spice to the romance? [link]

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Another stupid reporter.

How can you believe anything in this article, when they make statements like "Caribbean destination was plagued by malaria outbreaks"
I don't think that 6 people with Malaria in Punta Cana quite warrants that statement.
When someone tosses the BS around like that, I stop reading and don't believe anything they say or write, good or bad.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Rocky said:
How can you believe anything in this article, when they make statements like "Caribbean destination was plagued by malaria outbreaks"
I don't think that 6 people with Malaria in Punta Cana quite warrants that statement.
When someone tosses the BS around like that, I stop reading and don't believe anything they say or write, good or bad.
Rocky,

I know how you feel, believe me.

But, by now it's expected. Hey, look at the bright side, at least the word Haiti was nowhere to be found, but I will guarantee you that if it was not for the malaria incident, Haiti would have been mentioned, along with social unrest, civil war, peacekeeping force, you name it.

They can't just publish something positive all the way.

-NALs

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
One 'journalists' article does not the truth make. From the province I am living in there have been great reports about the RD and the only questions that have ever come up have been from those that just never have been before such as about the water and safety-understandable from first timers going anywhere.
Of all of the articles that I have seen and there have been quite a few the reports have been great about the RD.
'Wal-mart' don't like the reference. 'RD a great place to go'? that is what I have read and tis true.

Sep 19, 2005
Rocky said:

hey marco...I kinda disagree..

honestly think 6 cases of malaria would constitute an outbreak to me. Sure it was specific in its location, and the rest of the island was not involved. Its real. What if 6 tourists were shot and killed in Sosua in one year( all seperate incidents) that would be viewed as a rash of crime in teh DR. When there was no danger back in Punta Cana! Its the same as that test where one story gets passed from one person to the next and by the time the 100 th person passes it back to the original person its not even close to the same story. Because every one who explains something does it a little different than the next. For all the people who have a choice in where to go on vacation...knowing that there were 6 cases of malaria in the punta cana area is a HUGE peice of information........same goes for the hypothetical 6 murders in sosua......

over all in the grand scheme of things the number 6 is small percentages wise.. and the truth of the matter is more than 6 people could die of heart attacks in the same year in the same area while on vacation....

not being combative here...just trying to express its possible to look at facts many different ways.........

one way to do that is to put yourself in the other persons shoes....in this case someone who is spending 7K on thier ONE vacation for the year.. and want to avoid any and all possible problems.PERIOD.....common sense or not!

take care, maybe Ill see ya this coming weekend.....if you show up for work once ! ha ha ha

bob

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
laurapasinifan said:
hey marco...I kinda disagree..

honestly think 6 cases of malaria would constitute an outbreak to me. Sure it was specific in its location, and the rest of the island was not involved. Its real. What if 6 tourists were shot and killed in Sosua in one year( all seperate incidents) that would be viewed as a rash of crime in teh DR. When there was no danger back in Punta Cana! Its the same as that test where one story gets passed from one person to the next and by the time the 100 th person passes it back to the original person its not even close to the same story. Because every one who explains something does it a little different than the next. For all the people who have a choice in where to go on vacation...knowing that there were 6 cases of malaria in the punta cana area is a HUGE peice of information........same goes for the hypothetical 6 murders in sosua......

over all in the grand scheme of things the number 6 is small percentages wise.. and the truth of the matter is more than 6 people could die of heart attacks in the same year in the same area while on vacation....

not being combative here...just trying to express its possible to look at facts many different ways.........

one way to do that is to put yourself in the other persons shoes....in this case someone who is spending 7K on thier ONE vacation for the year.. and want to avoid any and all possible problems.PERIOD.....common sense or not!

take care, maybe Ill see ya this coming weekend.....if you show up for work once ! ha ha ha

bob
Outbreak?

Can 6 people getting infected be considered an outbreak?

A sprout is more like it.

Let's see, 6 infected out of an estimated 3 million visitors equals 0.000002 percentage points of all visitors to the country.

Oh yes, it's an outbreak worthy of mention.:tired:

-NALs

Sep 19, 2005
nals dont get caught up with the true definition of the TERM!

all that matter is what people THINK who are spending the money

its all relative! how many people in china? Well when SARS cropped up over there it was all over the news when ( I forget the first numbers that came out) we heard a few people had died. Not EXACTLY the same thing...but it only has to settle in the vacationers thought process to have an effect!

honey! how about lets go to the Phillipines instead of china ! OK?

also i am sure the article deals with the whole country, and the cases of malaria were all in the same small area....but that place is a huge tourist draw. and it is under the proverbial microscope....so 6 cases jumps out .

each person says 6 cases in the DR of malaria....ZERO in St Thomas...hmm

honey lets try St Thomas this year OK?

to the people going there its and OUTBREAK!!!!!!!!!!

just like when someone dies...its not the end of the world right?...well it is for them!

bob

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
laurapasinifan said:
nals dont get caught up with the true definition of the TERM!

all that matter is what people THINK who are spending the money

its all relative! how many people in china? Well when SARS cropped up over there it was all over the news when ( I forget the first numbers that came out) we heard a few people had died. Not EXACTLY the same thing...but it only has to settle in the vacationers thought process to have an effect!

honey! how about lets go to the Phillipines instead of china ! OK?

also i am sure the article deals with the whole country, and the cases of malaria were all in the same small area....but that place is a huge tourist draw. and it is under the proverbial microscope....so 6 cases jumps out .

each person says 6 cases in the DR of malaria....ZERO in St Thomas...hmm

honey lets try St Thomas this year OK?

to the people going there its and OUTBREAK!!!!!!!!!!

just like when someone dies...its not the end of the world right?...well it is for them!

bob
Of course Bob,

Modern media outlets are overwhelmingly corporate owned and, since they are profit driven, they publish what will sell the most. Thus, sensationalized stories are anything but a rarity.

6 people is nothing, except for them, which means they really were unlucky given the low chance of actually getting the disease to start with. Sure, it's all relative and since this issue and malaria incidents occured in the DR, such stats must be compared to the amount of tourists that visited the DR in that time period.

This is the same issue with the West Nile Virus, which is transmitted by a mostquito and is widespread in the US during the Summer, except in Hawaii. Ooh aah, the news scares the living daylights out of people with their "breaking news" of a new WNV victim. Do you know how few people actually get infected? Even less die, most often the elderly and people with compromised immune system.

Is that a reason to panic and change plans? Absolutely not and that is where the problem lies with all of these journalists making sensationalized stories enlarging little things into a gigantic nothing!

I remember watching CNN one evening in January, would you believe that they went into "breaking news" mode because a jetblue airplane was having trouble after take off in Los Angeles and was going in circles for an hour until enough fuel had been burned to allow for a safe emergency landing at LAX!

How many airplanes fly in any given day? Thousands.

Which one kills more, airplane crashes or car crashes? Car crashes.

Well then, why was CNN focusing on this airplane which landed with no problems for a full HOUR talking about all the great crashes the world has witnessed of airplanes through the year, while a live camera shot follow the plane in the sky over LA!

Utter nonesense, useless, good for nothing modern journalism that thrives and profits from scaring people from nothing!

It's like an adult who is afraid of an ant, pure nonesense!

-NALs

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
"plagued by malaria outbreaks"

With all due respect to everybody's opinions, I cannot have fatih in anyone who outright lies, and am subsequently not interested in anything they have to say.
"Plagued" is the key word.
6 isolated cases does not constitute a plague.
The reporter could have mentioned the incident, but refering to it as a plague is BS.

Sep 19, 2005
I didnt notice that term...but while I can readily admit using that term in conjunction with vacation spots causes undue havoc.... i think the term "PLAGUED" is used in a fashion that is similar to "bothered"

as opposed to disease ridden!!!!!!!!!!!

like a baseball player being plagued by injuries one year...thats just how i see it.

but I also am aware that each person see the world from their own eyes first... and as a buisness man in the DR......youd have to admit you could be viewed as biased.

did I highlight COULD...well let me go back and do that

COULD... ha ha ha ha

are we expecting sun this weekend on the north coast?........I hope so....I may have a helicopter ride in my future over that way

bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Go figure

laurapasinifan said:
are we expecting sun this weekend on the north coast?........I hope so....I may have a helicopter ride in my future over that way

bob
You are concerned about a few cases of malaria, yet are going up in a Dominican-maintained helicopter? I'd like to see an insurance actuaries view of this.

Sep 19, 2005
HOWMAR said:
You are concerned about a few cases of malaria, yet are going up in a Dominican-maintained helicopter? I'd like to see an insurance actuaries view of this.

I was never said I was concerned about malaria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just replied that I could see how the average vacationer to that area would be concerned.

man you guys use a broad brush with this literary license!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha

because i may remark that i can see how someone else view something, does not mean I see it at all like that........obvoiusly since i will be in the dr this weekend....the malaria PLAGUE didnt effect me.....

LOTS of people are paranoid or close to it....heck my ex mother in law used to ALWAYS...ALWAYS..tell me to be carefull when i left their driveway, because someone maybe coming in the driveway at the same time!!!!!!!!!!!

even though she wasnt expecting anyone!!!!! she NEEDED to warn me!

she was paranoid !!!!!!!!

I used to ask her what do i do when I see cars coming from the other direction on the highway on the drive home!!!!!!!!! run and hide!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha

but I do agree going up in a helicopter has to put me at risk of injury..similar to..................................................................................................................say, driving down route one in Santiago at 2am in the morning!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha

if you do it and live, dont try it too much more often!!!!!!!!!!

bob

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I understand that you might not take offense to the reporter's shoddy reporting, if you do not fully understand the meaning of the word, "plagued".
When a player is plagued with injuries, it is because he has constant or so many injuries, that it is plague-like, not because he/she is bothered by injuries.
Plagued : To pester or annoy persistently or incessantly.
Punta Cana having a reported 6 cases of Malaria cannot be described as persistently or incessantly.
As for me having a biased opinion of the report because I have a business here, I thought it was a favorable report, up until the point where I read about the DR being plagued with Malaria, so I cannot say if it turned out to be negative. Once I saw the BS, I stopped reading.
It certainly has no bearing on me calling this reporter out.
Seems to me that this is the same newspaper that published another report last year about pedophile in the DRs, that was so full of BS, it had everybody screaming for the reporter's resignation.

Sep 19, 2005
Rocky said:
I understand that you might not take offense to the reporter's shoddy reporting, if you do not fully understand the meaning of the word, "plagued".
When a player is plagued with injuries, it is because he has constant or so many injuries, that it is plague-like, not because he/she is bothered by injuries.
Plagued : To pester or annoy persistently or incessantly.
Punta Cana having a reported 6 cases of Malaria cannot be described as persistently or incessantly.
As for me having a biased opinion of the report because I have a business here, I thought it was a favorable report, up until the point where I read about the DR being plagued with Malaria, so I cannot say if it turned out to be negative. Once I saw the BS, I stopped reading.
It certainly has no bearing on me calling this reporter out.
Seems to me that this is the same newspaper that published another report last year about pedophiles, that was so full of BS, it had everybody screaming for the reporter's resignation.

maybe that reporter has a future at the GLOBE!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha

yeah sorry if i sound crass...i dont mean to be...just trying to offer another view as actually seem ...by me for one.....of the term plagued

I never looked it up in the dictionary..isnt important enough to me..... I just used what i has always thought it to mean......

lots of times words are used in contexts they really dont belong, but the subject is still understood....

But i can leave it at ...they guy may sensationalizes his articles for sales and or publishers.

But the truth is that stuff happens all the time....happens everyday in poitics...some one takes a fact...even ever so small and since it is a FACT...starts his story behind it....... and makes a mountain out of a mole hilll for his own agenda.

my favorite organization does it all the time!!!!!!!!!!

the NRA........

hey have agreat day ....

bob

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I know what you mean.
I can't say that was the reason for me moving here, but it sure is a bonus to get away from all that krap.
So.... what I really want to know is if you are going to swoop down on us on that helicopter ride.
If you do, I'll toss you up a couple of cold ones.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
If I recall correctly, it was the Toronto Sun which published the "Sun, Sand and Sex" trash, featuring ridiculus assertions of rampant pedophilia. This is less sensational, but not much more accurate.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
sweetdbt said:
If I recall correctly, it was the Toronto Sun which published the "Sun, Sand and Sex" trash, featuring ridiculus assertions of rampant pedophilia. This is less sensational, but not much more accurate.
I'll trust your memory more than mine.
I do remember that the reporter had an Hispanic name and that the whole thing was super shoddy.
I hope he's sweeping floors at McDonalds, now.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
Rocky said:
I know what you mean.
I can't say that was the reason for me moving here, but it sure is a bonus to get away from all that krap.
So.... what I really want to know is if you are going to swoop down on us on that helicopter ride.
If you do, I'll toss you up a couple of cold ones.

yeah Ill talk the guy into providing some fresh ocean breeze right down town!!!!!!!

bob