Water & Electricity

cause searcher

Apr 16, 2006
Looking for guidance:
It is my understanding that (clean/purified)water and electricity for the poor are expensive or unavailable.

My thoughts:

I have done some research that makes me believe that the winds on the North Coast near Cabarete are sufficient to turn "wind turbines". I would like to donate/build small wind turbines for schools or community centers, etc. that would generate between 500w -1000w of electricity. This should be enough energy to supply power to 20-30 energy efficient light bulbs and a small water purifier.

Questions:
1. Can anyone confirm first hand info on the wind speeds in this area and are they limited to the immediate coast?
2. Can a simple purifier clean avaialble water supplies to poor communities?
3. Would this have a significant impact on health and "way of life" or should I be focusing on a different issue all together?

Taking it a step further: Wind turbines near little but some maintenance, purifiers need filters. My thought is that an entrepreneur (ETPR) could be placed in charge of the machinery and charge a small fee for the water, but enough to pay for his time, standard maint. and filters.

Any thoughts?

Thanks...Cause Searcher

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
I think there is plenty of wind to power turbines near Cabarete. That said, I would add a few other observations:

a) electricity is only expensive if you pay for it. If you steal it, it is free but undependable, which is why most of the barrios complain. They want 24/7 electricity for free. To be forced to pay 100 pesos a month for electricity for only 6 or 10 hours a day is an outrage (to them). And during their 6 or 10 hours of having electricity, every lightbulb in the house is burning, etc.

b) same as above for water coming in through the tap.

c) if you were nice enough to install a water purification system and leave it in the hands of a nice dominican "entrepreneur", one of two things would happen. He would run it until it clogs up, after which he would then either sell the whole unit as is, or just remove the filter and let the water run through the unit without the filter to keep his customers in water. OR, he would sell the equipment at the nearest compreventa for whatever he could get, and move on. Any money advanced for replacement filters / maintenance would disappear somewhere else.

d) for wind turbines, once the wind died down, and there wasn't any power being generated, someone would remove whatever is removeable, and sell it, thereby making the turbine/generator unable to function.

Just my two pesos worth. Forgive me, but I am feeling a bit cynical today.
You have good intentions, and I wish you good luck.