Dominicans in Canada

mamichula24

Mar 28, 2006
I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any Dominicans who have moved to Canada, specifically Winnipeg. I know it's not a huge or well known city, but my boyfriend plans on moving here (canada) as soon as all the paperwork gets out.
The reason I'm asking is that if I can find some Dominicans in or around my area, I think it would help him out in the "home sickness" dept, as well as have people he can relate to. Make him feel more at home in a way.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
mamichula24 said:
I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any Dominicans who have moved to Canada, specifically Winnipeg. I know it's not a huge or well known city, but my boyfriend plans on moving here (canada) as soon as all the paperwork gets out.
The reason I'm asking is that if I can find some Dominicans in or around my area, I think it would help him out in the "home sickness" dept, as well as have people he can relate to. Make him feel more at home in a way.

I know that there is one Dominican for sure in Winnipeg, I will see if I can find contact info for you. Let's hope your husband doesn't arrive in Winterpeg in the winter ;) .

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Dominicans in Canada- Tienes que ir a Montreal

Not to crush your hopes but Winnipeg is sure not the place.

The home of the Dominican community in Canada is Montreal. Without getting into details of grandeur, Montreal is the place to be if you are looking for a sizeable community (and friendly). You see the thread below "Montreal Merengue Festival" that's because there's a sizeable community in the greater MTL area especially Montreal North.

There are Dominicans in Toronto as well but the size of the Latin community in Toronto is considerably large so the Dominican community and its presence easily go unnoticed.

I agree with Trina. Hopefully he won't arrive in the winter. Montreal winters are cold but I don't think I could handle Winnipeg in the wintertime.

Good Luck.

-LDG.

Last edited:

Campesino

May 18, 2002
Lots of Dominicans here !!

My wife is from Santo Domingo, we now reside in Hamilton. Our neighbours in front of us are Canadian/Dominican and its funny as we were neighbours in DR also. ( This was not planned, employment related) Just around the corner is another Dominican family. Visited a friend of my neighbors a few weeks back and was surprized to encounter 3 more Dominicans living in Hamilton. We also have a Dominican friend in Orillia, where we once resided. If you mingle with the right people and places you will find there are more folks from the DR than you think.

Campesino....

Girl79

Dec 8, 2004
Hi, I live in Winnipeg and my husband is from the Dominican Republic if you want send me a message. He came here November 2005 and was here all winter and didn't mind it at all but all people do adjust differently.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Girl79 said:
Hi, I live in Winnipeg and my husband is from the Dominican Republic if you want send me a message. He came here November 2005 and was here all winter and didn't mind it at all but all people do adjust differently.

Still in the honeymoon phase ;) .

Girl79

Dec 8, 2004
Oh I forgot people on the DR1 know about every about each Dominican in the world. Well my grandma who immigrated to Winnipeg said it the best if you can survive your first winter here the following years are nothing. We have in Winnpeg many people from all over the world and they survived I just think its nice to encourage people and give postive feed back about immigrating here.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Girl79 said:
Oh I forgot people on the DR1 know about every about each Dominican in the world. Well my grandma who immigrated to Winnipeg said it the best if you can survive your first winter here the following years are nothing. We have in Winnpeg many people from all over the world and they survived I just think its nice to encourage people and give postive feed back about immigrating here.

Sorry, I really didn't mean to offend you. I'm from Saskatchewan originally, so I'm definitely not one to talk. I am glad that we're in Calgary. I hope your husband has many good years in Winnipeg to come.

corazonpartioamor

Apr 28, 2006
I married a Dominican, and all I can say is that depending on his age, they have a hard time at first. Its an adjustment that neither one of us was completey prepared for. Looking back now I wish i had gone there for the first six months of our marriage and get off to the right start instead of being separated from the beginning of our marriage. Picture that you go somewhere for the first time and everything is shinny and new, forgein and different, it takes you awhile to come down to earth and the excitment of the newness to wear off. Associating with Dominicans is not what Dominicans need when they are new to the country. What they need is someone to guide them (if they are willing) to find their way the first few months they are here. They dont need the comforts of home. What they need is to find their way in their new home. The will never forget what is back home, because its inside them. I am not Dominican but being with my husband for four years, I miss the craziness of Santo Domingo and Higuey. I miss Sancocho and baseball between October and January. I miss beer and tostone on the beach. I miss my family and the sound of loud cars and screaming on the street, I miss the wawa and public cars. I miss my family. The music, the food, the early morning rooster when the guy next door finally shut of his speakers blarring bachatta and merengue all night till the sun came up. Can you imagine, i miss all that I am not even dominican? I can only imagine what my husband was feeling like. But that is not what they need when they are trying to build their life here in Canada. It only confuses them. What they need is to stay foucsed and work or go to school and see all the benefits Canada has to offer. They need to contribute and be equal with you, or you will be carrying your man all his time here with you and you wont know what hit you. For the first six months your man needs to learn about where is and where is wants to be not about where the local Domincian Bar is so he can feel like he is back home. That can come later when he as adjusted and the craziness has worn off, he will be better able to handle everything that is coming at him without the distraction of the crap that is out there especially within the Dominican community.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I had wondered how many Dominicans were living in Winnipeg. When I was there in April, I noticed that there are a few new restaurants catering to a Latin market, but the menus don't suggest that they are Dominican based.
My questions are: where would you go for a night out that would provide Dominican-like food, merengue, bachata and salsa dancing in Winnipeg? Is there a Dominican community club set up?
I once tutored a Dominicana who had moved to Dryden (of all places-the girls from Winnipeg will know where that is!) and married a Drydenite. She did not speak any English and since I had just moved back from the DR, the literacy society asked me to help her out. I was so excited to be able to speak Spanish(well, I was never fluent) again as well, so we both helped each other.
She just found it very lonely living in Dryden ( a paper mill town - that says it all) and they ended up moving closer to Toronto where she would have access to a community of Dominicans.
I wouldn't consider Winnipeg a tough market for Dominicans as it has a very large multi-cultural presence, it would just be a matter of networking to find others with mutual interests.
I do have to agree with the others about the winters though, they can be pretty tough in Winnipeg. Just stay away from the corner of Portage and Main!! You think Chicago is the windiest city, think again!

Marlie

Girl79

Dec 8, 2004
I do agree that when your spouse relocates to your country that you have to be there for them 100% because it is difficult to leave your family, friends...etc. But I totally disagree that its not important to have anybody from your own country here. Its not about going to the local bar and drinking its about knowing there are other people there that can give advise. In Winnipeg I have yet to meet another Dominican living here and do you know how hard it is to find a hairdresser here for my husband. It would be nice to have more of a community here. I don't know about other cities in Canada but in Winnipeg we have different communities (Italian, Portugese, El Savador...etc) that have functions for new residence that come here. But they don't get together all the time.

In Winnipeg we don't have very many latin clubs or dominican restaurants to go to but we have Folkarama here and they have a Carribean Pavillion where they have food and dancing. Also we have a Carribean Carnival in July. Any bar in Winnipeg you go to you will find a mix of people from all over the world. We need a domincian restaurant here!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Nothing wrong with meeting other Dominicans-

The hub of ethnic diversity in Canada is concentrated in Montreal and Toronto. Winnipeg from what I am reading in this thread is just a microcosm of the cosmopolitan make up of which other Canadian cities (may) consist. From what I can gather the OP is just inquiring about whether there are other Dominicans in the area just for kinship, cultural similarities, etc. Building friendships with other Dominicans is nothing but positive in my opinion and in all likelihood a person will choose someone that has similar interests as s/he does and not just because the person is Dominican. I think Winnipeg will be a challenging adjustment. It's an adjustment just moving from one Canadian city to another much less a different country and culture.

Montreal and Toronto are the epitome of what the demographic make up a cosmopolitan city in today's world consist of and if the OP lived in either one there would be no difficulty at all in finding cultural icons etc. So I think it's wonderful that the OP is taking this into consideration and trying to make the adjustment process easier.

Again, good luck

-LDG.

Last edited:

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
Life in Canada for a Dominican ... from someone that has been there...

Sorry this is so long but for those with Dominican husbands/wives, I'm sure you will appreciate the insight....

After some bad experiences in the DR I met a Domincan that changed my life forever. We married and he has been in Canada for almost a year. I rarely contribute to DR1 anymore, but I felt that this thread could help a lot of people and for that reason I am willing to share a few things about my experience.

We live in Toronto and I can say without doubt that my husband has adjusted to Canada better than most Dominicans I have heard about or have met personally. This is not to say that he is better, hardier, or that I prepared him any better than the thousands before me I am sure ... rather I think a variety of things have helped him make this new home for him a friendlier place....

When he arrived, I would guesstimate that my hubby spoke less than 50 words in English. I knew before he arrived that studying English was imperative and a matter of survival in this country. He went to post-secondary school for two years in the DR and eared a Diploma in Industrial and Residential Installation and Maintenance of Electricity (a loose translation to serving an apprenticeship here as an electrician). He had many dreams and of course figured his education and experience in that field would take him far. I knew otherwise... at least at first and without speaking fluent English you don't have much of chance here of picking up where you left off!

The week he arrived I could not get holidays from my job so he was here alone at our house. That situation had its pluses and minuses... we were not able to spend our first week together with me showing him the ropes, but at the same he had to figure things out on his own pretty quickly. He would call me at work and ask how to figure out the cable, where to go to buy a coffee, how to take the bus, etc. I think it was the best that ever happened for both of us because from day one he was not 100% dependent on me. So many things were new for him and he had to figure them out on his own. Sure I gave him guidance but when you have to figure out the Toronto subway system on your own when you don't speak English and have lived in the country for less than a week, you deserve credit and definitely get an experience along the way!

My husband and I were fortunte that I earn enough money that we could afford for him to study English full-time indefinitely when he arrived until he felt ready to enter the workforce in either his trained profession or otherwise.

At first everything seemed overwhelming... more for me than him I think. He was generally exicited about everything and thought our city was "beautiful" which is a word I have never used to describe a bustling downtown city. I have a very busy and stressful job that requires me to work long hours and at times be out of the city on business trips. I was constantly worried that he would adjust to life here and that he was happy, especially considering I couldn't always devote the time to our relationship that one would hope for in this situation. The fortunate thing is that he arrived in July and summers in July in Toronto are pretty much like any typical day in the DR (minus the beach of course)... hot, humid and sunny! He was shocked that Canada was nothing like what he expected it to be temperature wise... of course Domincans all think we live in ingloos so it was fun to hear the reaction of his friends/family when he told them it was near 100 degrees at times (this is Toronto weather of course...can't speak for northern Manitoba, etc. where I'm sure things are drastically different)!

Anyway, this past week passed a few milestones for us...

My husband will be starting his first job in the next week and will be making close to $20/hr. and he is going to write his driver's licence on Monday (which I fully expect him to pass with flying colours since I tested him last night and he knew 95% of the questions off by heart... personally I would fail if I had to re-write that test now after having my licence for almost 14 years). By the way... for anyone living in Ontario with spouses that need their driver's licence, you need to get a book called "La Guia" which is a Spanish version of the yellow pages here in Toronto and in the center of the book there are about 20 pages on how to get your licence in Ontario with all the questions and answers (in Spanish and English of course so that they can property study).

My husband now speaks fairly fluent English with the exception of more sophisticated English words but he has come a LONG way in one year and I cannot stress enough to others in our situation how forcing them to be independent will pay dividends in the future.

In addition to the above, we have been fortunate enough to live in a large city and are able to purchase almost all the food that my husband was used to back home (even Lambe or Conch in English for those who have tried it).....we maybe only eat Dominican meals three times per week but we always have the essentials on hand to satisfy cravings of the DR .... plaintain, yuca (casava in Canada), avocado, rice, cabbage salad, salami... etc. Also, a monthly night out to Salsa dancing, or a night at a baseball game between Toronto and Boston (a Dominican favorite) goes a long way.

The short of my thread is ... there will tough days but if your partner is aware that they have moved to a country that operates under a totally different culuture, language, etc. and tries to adapt the best they can and you force them to be as independent as possible, you will have a long and happy future as we plan to have.

Good luck to all of you out there in our situation because marriage is hard at the best of times and an interracial/intercultural marriage just adds all that many more challenges.

It's all worth it in the end if both people are committed and if both people realize the other is feeling like a fish out of water (believe it or not the native has just as much stress as the immigrant... a lot of responsibility is taken on is this situation and many are not prepared for the understanding, time and commitment that is needed to weather the storm and help your spouse adapt to their new country)!

Good luck to all.

FM

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Excellent post, FM. Nice to see you. Sorry I haven't responded to your e-mail, but I am so glad things are going well for the both of you!

deecat3

Apr 1, 2006
Great Thread!
Was it difficult getting the paperwork for your husband to come to Canada?
Did you get married in the DR?
I have heard it takes a long time.......after reading your thread I feel much more positive about the immigration process! Sometimes the whole process sounds very discouraging!

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Hey Fiesta Mama,

Nice to see you post again. Congrats on your marriage, I had no idea.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Hey Kim,

Long time - no hear from ! I didn't realize that you were back in Canada, just thought the emails were not coming because of your hectic life in the DR ! LOL
Glad to hear everything is going well for you both. Are you back at your old job? Happy to hear your husband found a job, but I am sure with your strength and determination, anything is possible!!!

Take care,
Marlie

Splendor

Apr 29, 2006
Hi ...I just got back from a trip to Dominican and fell in love. I am trying to find out if it is difficult for anyone from Dominican to come to Canada for a visit ....is there a lot of paperwork and can it be done?

Splendor

Apr 29, 2006
I was so relieved to hear your story...as I hope pursue the relationship that I have started while in the Dominican on vacation. I also believe that if you work hard enough at it ...and the love is there it can work. Thanks again for the inspirational story.......

Splendor

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Yeah well, you may also want to check out some of the horror stories, that are on this board. :ermm: