Negotiating 101

KKH

Apr 24, 2006
I'll be in DR for the first time in late May. Everywhere I see that I should be negotiating for each item I buy or service I receive. Would one of you experienced DR travelers or residents give a short course in how to negotiate?

-Should I try to use my very halting Spanish or is English broadly understood?
-How will I know if they are giving the price in Dominican currency or USDollars?
-Should I carry a pad of paper to write down prices?
-Should I plan to use only US Dollars (or are there times that Dominican currency is helpful?)
-What is a sample negotating dialogue?

What are reasonable prices for +a bottle of water, + a souvenir t-shirt, +a piece of fruit, +use of a beach chair/umbrella, + massage +manicure +etc?
A range of what is reasonable would be very helpful to know.

Many thanks!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Prices depend on location.

I always half the amount offered if I have no clue.

It's best to find out the going rate from someone you trust.

Vendors speak enough English. If your Spanish sucks, it's ok to practice, just don't pay a high price. Be patient. Vendors can be pushy.

Sample:

Vendor: Look, look! Which necklace do you like?

Tourist: This one, it's lovely! How much?

V: Oh, for you, very cheap! You pay dollars or pesos? Or euros?

T: I've got pesos.

V: ok, x pesos! Good price!

T: No way! Too much. I'll pay half of x.

(Walk away at this point.)

(They'll come after you--they are willing to go lower!)

Repeat 3 times, usually this works. Be patient and go low.

ALmost everywhere you go will have a calculator. I always bring my own.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
This is the expression that never fails for us with dominican suppliers (some of our customers have used it with us too)

"Afina bien ese l?piz", they use it specially when they are waiting for a quote.

It means sharp your pencil very good (so it will write the number slimmer).

You can use mainegirl's advice on how to bargain. I would do it in spanish and paying with pesos. Most places do not receive dollars unless we are talking about a gift shop where they are going to rip you off no matter what.

About prices in Santo Domingo you would pay:

Bottle of water = 10 to 15 pesos (local brands, in convenience stores)
Souvenir t-shirt = 350 to 500 pesos (depending on quality)
fruit = apple around 75 pesos, grapes around 100 pesos, strawberries around 90 pesos (these are 1 lb packages in a supermarket). Prices approx.
Massage = 350 per session, 2700 package of 10 sessions.
Manicure = 200 pesos approx.

If you go to smaller cities, prices will get lower.

Have fun

Jess

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
MaineGirl said:
... ALmost everywhere you go will have a calculator. I always bring my own.

Each time someone talks about a calculator while bargaining I have a flashback to a tourist experience in Rome .. I bargained, complained, waited the vendor out, did everything I could and eventually got the price down to where I wanted it to be. Then the dude stole my calculator.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I forgot to add, once in Santiago a little girl stopped our car with a bag of mangos. She said, please buy these, I haven't made a sale all day. My Dominican friend smiled at her and said, poor thing! And he paid her some coins, nothing much. I just HAD to wonder if she had a good schtick going with those curls and tears. Still, 8 years old on the street selling mangos...poor thing.