how to reach Las terrenas

renderale

May 8, 2006
Hi,
I'm planning an holiday in las Terrenas, but I've not choose the flight yet. I'll come from Florida. Is better POP or STI or SDQ? And then?
Can you confirm all these:
- only 1 bus from POP at 7:00 am
- there are buses from STI (I'll arrive at 2.30pm)
- flights to el portillo (from POP and Herrera) are cheaper than private taxis

have fun
thanks a lot
Ale

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
If coming from Santo Domingo, get downtown (with a taxi) to the Caribe Tours bus terminal, and buy a ticket to Sanchez (the end destination will be Samana, but you go down at Sanchez).

Once in Sanchez, you can either charter a taxi to Las Terrenas, or take public transportation, which means a motoconcho (moto-taxi) from Caribe Tours terminal to the crossroads, and then a "guagua", which is like a crowded minibus, or a crowded pick-up truck...

Then you will reach Las Terrenas, and have a swim in cristal clear water to forget that trip... Enjoy !

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I don't think you will have time to make the last 4:30 Santo Domingo bus to Sanchez, from where you take the guagua to Las Terrenas. If there is any delay you will miss the bus. You could try, though. You take a taxi from AILA (SDQ) to Caribe Tours. If you miss it, I suggest you overnight in Santo Domingo and take the time to see the sights of the colonial city. Morning buses leave at 7, 8:30 and 10 am, and there are also buses at 1:30, 2:30 and the 4:30 pm bus. Regardless, it would be a good idea to spend at least an evening in Santo Domingo. Check out the colonial city hotels at http://dr1.com/directories/index.shtml#Hotels_Resorts

Ditto, there is a daily 7 am bus from Puerto Plata to Samana, from where you would take a guagua to Las Terrenas, if you decide to fly in from there.

Double checking, there are buses almost every half hour from Santiago to Sanchez, there are even buses at 6, 7 and 8 pm. But remember it is a 4 hour trip. There might not be guaguas traveling at night over the Terrenas route, which is dangerous even by day. So, you would then need to overnight in Samana.

I think fly in from where you get the better air fare. Either place, you most likely will need to overnight.

renderale

May 8, 2006
thanks Dolores and Squat.
Very useful, I think to choose the night in SD, probably the most interesting city among my options.
Has nobody news about airtaxi from SD or POP to el portillo airfiled?
ciao from a rainy Milan
Ale

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Cost is about US$75 plus you need to get to La Isabela (AILI airport, an additional RD$700 taxi) to take the taxi. With that you can pay to overnight in Santo Domingo.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
las terrenas

renderale said:
thanks Dolores and Squat.
Very useful, I think to choose the night in SD, probably the most interesting city among my options.
Has nobody news about airtaxi from SD or POP to el portillo airfiled?
ciao from a rainy Milan
Ale

there still is a flight from las americas to el portillo,but it usually leaves around 4 pm.
Also,guaguas directly to las terrenas from SD from c/enriquillo Esq. Caracas at 830 am,1200, 145 .
phone number is 809-687-1470
bob

renderale

May 8, 2006
OK, i think I'll enjoy SD lights and the landscape from a bus windows. At the end I'll be on holiday, not all this hurry is needed.
Ale

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
your best options are to fly into STI and get out to Las Terrenas.There are direct service buses leaving Santiago at 6:30 AM, 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM everyday. (RD$170)
If you want to spend a night "on the town," Santiago probably offers just as much of a "scene" as Sto Dgo, for one night at least.:p
You have Francifol, Baja, Tribeca, Ah? Bar among others, and if it is "other" action that you crave, there are posters here that can point you in the right direction....
To my way of thinking, you want to have some big city action before "relaxing" at the beach...and this you can do (for one night at least) in Santiago. PLUS, you save a lot of travel time and money.

FYI: There are regular bus runs to Sanchez and Saman? at
8:00; 9:30; 10;30 AM and 1:15; 2:30 and 4:00 PM

For more information, if you speak Spanish, call Patricia at 809 582 5709

HB :D:D

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Just to piggyback on the OP, can someone give me directions from the Caribe Tours bus station in Sanchez to the nearest guagua going to Las Terrenas? The other thing is, how much is the fare for a 'taxi' from Sanchez to Las Terrenas, and is it worth paying the taxi or just getting the guagua? Thanks.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
las terrenas

RonS said:
Just to piggyback on the OP, can someone give me directions from the Caribe Tours bus station in Sanchez to the nearest guagua going to Las Terrenas? The other thing is, how much is the fare for a 'taxi' from Sanchez to Las Terrenas, and is it worth paying the taxi or just getting the guagua? Thanks.
took guagua yesterday both ways...price is 50 pesos one way.

shuffine

Jan 17, 2006
if you can ... go to POP (and rent a car...the drive is easy 2 3/4 hours)...if you happen to be coming in this weekend (sunday) which is unlikely...i would give you a ride from SDQ to LT (i do it all the time...lot's cheaper for me to fly into SDQ).

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Thanks guys! Can anyone tell me where to go to get the guagua from the Caribe Tours Bus Station when I get to Sanchez? I hope the info is helping the OP, otherwise I'll start a new thread.

misslolabelle

May 9, 2006
Hillbilly said:
your best options are to fly into STI and get out to Las Terrenas.There are direct service buses leaving Santiago at 6:30 AM, 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM everyday. (RD$170)

Hey hillbilly...You seem to have the info! I saw your reply about getting to Las terrenas. I'm going there in a week and arriving separately from friends. I'm flying into Santiago at 11am and was going to catch the direct bus to Las Terrenas at 3pm. Is that RD$170 you quoted US Dollar? or The Domincan peso? I'm assuming it's Dominican...what with RD...but I just wanted to check. Haha.

Also...How much are buses to Sanchez? Are they direct as well?...I was thinking of taking an earlier bus to Sanchez (Instead of waiting 3+hours after my flight arrives for the direct bus to Las Terr.) and then taking a taxi or gua-guas from Sanchez to Las terrenas (I heard about 25 $ US?)

Thanks for all your help!
Lola

renderale

May 8, 2006
OK, thanks everybody,
I must say that my departure from Milan is on 16th August, I'm planning now the travel. I have a ticket to MIA (arrive at 3:30pm). I've just seen the only flight in the afternoon to DR is an AA to SD. I don't want to sleep one night in MIA, I'd prefer in DR. Nobody knows low cost airlines fro MIA to DR?
(I'm able to speak spanish, not difficult for an italian, but not to write it)
ciao
Ale

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can fly from POP direct to El Portillo in Las Terranas for $100 US. That is $75 less than a cab from POP to Las Terranas. But they only fly on Wed. or possibly Thur.

You can call Stephanie at 809-907-1300 for reservations and info. They will only fly if they have customers, so it may not be good for you, but it is a 40 minute flight in a twin engine Islander. Stephanie is the pilot, he is Swiss and of course speaks English and ten or more other languages.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
POP to Las Terrenas

You can fly from POP direct to El Portillo in Las Terranas for $100 US. That is $75 less than a cab from POP to Las Terranas. But they only fly on Wed. or possibly Thur.

Can any one confirm if this is still an option ?. having trouble with the tel number posted in the original message, ( 809 907 1300 - Stephane ).

Or is there another company that flies POP - El Portillo ?.
and,,,,, the price of a cab ?, 150 US$ ?
Thanks and Happy New Year,

cg