Need a good school in or near Sabana Perdida

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
I have been helping two very poor families from Sabana Perdida for a number of years with things such a medical care, dental care, school books, clothes, food, etc.

One of the children, a 16 year old boy, is about to fail grade 7 for the 3rd year in a row. He has experienced prolonged malnutrition which I think, along with other factors, has slowed his physical as well as mental development. He goes to a public school in Sabana Perdida. The school is very crowded and unbelievably noisy His principal and teacher are very negative and appear to have no interest or ability to help the boy progress and have success. This year I hired a tutor for the boy four afternoons a week. The tutor is a psychologist from another school. She also seems very unprofessional and does not have the interest or ability to help the boy progress and have success. The parents are kind, good people but they are uneducated and basically illiterate so they are not much help either.

I am very concerned for the boy?s future. I need to find a good school (private or public) in or near Sabana Perdida for him to attend that can meet his needs. He needs a lot of remedial work, care, encouragement and attention.

If you have any suggestions please pass them along.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Heythere said:
I have been helping two very poor families from Sabana Perdida for a number of years with things such a medical care, dental care, school books, clothes, food, etc.

One of the children, a 16 year old boy, is about to fail grade 7 for the 3rd year in a row. He has experienced prolonged malnutrition which I think, along with other factors, has slowed his physical as well as mental development. He goes to a public school in Sabana Perdida. The school is very crowded and unbelievably noisy His principal and teacher are very negative and appear to have no interest or ability to help the boy progress and have success. This year I hired a tutor for the boy four afternoons a week. The tutor is a psychologist from another school. She also seems very unprofessional and does not have the interest or ability to help the boy progress and have success. The parents are kind, good people but they are uneducated and basically illiterate so they are not much help either.

I am very concerned for the boy’s future. I need to find a good school (private or public) in or near Sabana Perdida for him to attend that can meet his needs. He needs a lot of remedial work, care, encouragement and attention.

If you have any suggestions please pass them along.

Not an easy task, indeed. Not trying to play down the role of the local public education system, particularly the teachers, but the child's immediate social environment also probably plays a significant role in his non-achievement. Check for mixed message within his family and peers. Many times parents discourage their children from continuing their education, especially when the child is at an age where they can contribute to the household's finances. Also, maybe the role model within the child's peer group is a drop-out, hoodlum, "tiguere". Consider moving him out of Sabana P?rdida...

-

cuas

May 29, 2006
My sister lives in Respaldo Villa Carmen. Her two daughters are A students. Her 13 years old passed to the 9th grade with no problem. I will ask her questions and will get back to you. She problably can find a good tutor for the child.