Best date and time to find lowest fare

Jun 5, 2004
I would like to know when do you guys think that i can get the lowest fare possible what day of the week. I have heard that to get the cheapest fares you have to purchase tickets in the night time due to the fact that the computers are adjusting prices and they might for a brief period of time publiah a slightly lower fare.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
My totally unscientific observation based on countless hours of plugging in different combinations on various travel sites (primarily Yahoo travel, which is in effect Travelocity) would be that fares are lowest when both departure and return date are on a Monday through Thursday, especially T, W & Th. I had never heard about different times of day being better to purchase, and would be skeptical about that.

Jan 5, 2006
I haven't noticed if there is a "best time" to purchase, however, prices do fluctuate, sometimes significantly, even within a few minutes, depending on the airline's available inventory.

If you fly AA, you can place a reservation on hold for 2 days if you have an AAdvantage account (free). That gives you the opportunity to look for a lower price within that time period, or purchase your ticket if prices go up.

For looking up prices from multiple sources, I use www.sidestep.com.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
A few years ago, a Dominican who owns a travel agency in Houston told me that airlines release a certain number of discounted seats every Friday after 1:00 PM, but only for a couple of hours. And it worked for me then, but not sure if they still do it.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
And I have a cousin that swears she finds the cheapest fares at aa.com on Tuesday mornings (1 a.m. that is).

I've never looked into it but this is what she says. She flys to the DR every month.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
AA posts there " specials " as of 12:01 tuesday a.m.
I've also heard that, in general, airlines release special fares in the early part of the day.