Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Store Closings for Election Day

Not everyone living or vacationing in the DR may realize that more stores close on electon day (tomorrow, May 16) than on any other holiday. In Sosua, for example, the Payero supermarkets will be closed all day so their employees can vote. Very unusual for them to close their supermarkets for an entire day.

Anyone who thinks he might need something from a store tomorrow should get it today to be safe.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    Not everyone living or vacationing in the DR may realize that more stores close on electon day (tomorrow, May 16) than on any other holiday. In Sosua, for example, the Payero supermarkets will be closed all day so their employees can vote. Very unusual for them to close their supermarkets for an entire day.

Anyone who thinks he might need something from a store tomorrow should get it today to be safe.
    If memory serves me, the men vote at different times than the women so they used to remain open (At least one) and rotate the staff. Unusual indeed. I hope the restaurants will remain open I'm hungry allready.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy
    If memory serves me, the men vote at different times than the women so they used to remain open (At least one) and rotate the staff. Unusual indeed. I hope the restaurants will remain open I'm hungry allready.
    Rules have been changed, men and women will vote at the same time, however standing in different lines.... Dry law will be in effect starting tomorrow morning, which means you should load up on beer today....

-

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones
    Stores are closed, but all the colmados that service my neighborhood are open and selling anything you need....
    I called my favorite colmado and the manager told me "We're not political. We're open Tuesday and we'll be selling beer." I love this country!

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

A few minutes ago, I caught my son Alan with a Bohemia beer in hand. He had walked over to the corner supermarket (El Dragón de Oro). He said he saw people carting cases of the suds....

By the way, El Dragón de Oro is an open 24 hrs supermarket on the corner of Ave. Rómulo Betancourt (former Prolongación Bolívar) and Calle Higuemota, Bella Vista, SD (this is an unpaid announcement... ;-)

-

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, Mr C did some shopping there this very morning.