Calling the DR and cell phones in DR

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
I have three questions:

1. I am in Canada and am trying to reach someone in the DR (they have a cell phone). I am experiencing difficulty getting through sometimes and am wondering if anyone else has this problem. Sometimes I will get a message that all circuits are busy and sometimes I will get a message in Spanish from Verizon that I do not understand. I have gone 3 days now and have not been able to get through no matter what time I call.

2. When I do call the DR, does the person receiving my call have to pay for air time if they have a phone card?

3. What do phone cards cost in the DR and how do they work--are they just on a month-to-month basis or do you pay for so much time?

Thanks.

L

lovesthebeach

Canbon,
Are you using a calling card on your end?
Sometimes if can be your card, the weather, their location, a crappy phone...
Sometimes if you call one minute it can be busy, spanish message, dead air etc....then you try again and it is clear as can be and the connection is perfect.
LTB

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
I am using a calling card because it is the only way I can get through--the area code is 829 as opposed to 809 which apparently makes a difference somehow in that I cannot dial direct. My goodness, it can be soooooo frustrating!

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
canbon said:
I am using a calling card because it is the only way I can get through--the area code is 829 as opposed to 809 which apparently makes a difference somehow in that I cannot dial direct. My goodness, it can be soooooo frustrating!

Hi Canbon,

I like to use Ultra Vox to call the DR. I don't think I have had a dropped call ever with this card. You can buy them at Shoppers Drug Mart or at Canada Post. It is 18 cents/minute to a land line and 25 cents/minute to a cell phone but you get a 25% bonus on the next card....once you buy the second card you really get 12.50$ for the price of 10$. i used to use CiCi which has a cheaper landline rate but there were alot of connection problems so I switched to this card.

Maybe that will help!

Sangria

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
canbon said:
I have three questions:

1. I am in Canada and am trying to reach someone in the DR (they have a cell phone). I am experiencing difficulty getting through sometimes and am wondering if anyone else has this problem. Sometimes I will get a message that all circuits are busy and sometimes I will get a message in Spanish from Verizon that I do not understand. I have gone 3 days now and have not been able to get through no matter what time I call.

2. When I do call the DR, does the person receiving my call have to pay for air time if they have a phone card?

3. What do phone cards cost in the DR and how do they work--are they just on a month-to-month basis or do you pay for so much time?

Thanks.

1. I don't know how wide spread it is, but I have been having a problem contacting somebody with a Verizon phone living outside of Sosua who previously could be contacted without problems.

2. Person in the DR does not pay when receiving a call. Only person making call pays.

3. Wide range of prices. Each one has a code number that is used to add the amount of the card to your account. Both Orange and Verizon have cards

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
I can't believe it--I finally got through--guess I just had to make a post about my frustration for it to happen!!! Thanks everyone! I am glad to know they don't have to pay when I call.

GordonS

Nov 6, 2005
G3 Telecom

We have been using G3 Telecom ( http://www.g3telecom.com/ ) for over a year. We too get odd results from time to time such as you have described. Sometimes there is a 1-2 second delay as if the signal is bounced off of 3 or 4 satellites. Makes talking awkward. The reason we have stayed with G3 is that once you sign on you can get an automatic refill on your balance which comes off your credit card so that you don't have to call in all the time to recharge or go to buy a new calling card. As well, you can give a number of different originating phone numbers so you can call from work, from home or from your cell for example and the number is automatically recognized by the system and lets you continue the dialing without a PIN . Costs $0.17/ min. Every $100.00 they give you an hour's free calling. That can burn up fast if you call at peak times but at night usually lasts close to a full hour. Does anyone else have a better rate or better service? Please let us know as I'd be happy to see what else is out there.