Evil Eye Jewerly, DR

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Hi,

I was just wondering if jewerly with the Evil Eye symbol can be purchased anywhere in the DR. I'm not sure if this is something that a lot of Dominicans believe in or if it has anything to do with the DR. I do have a couple of dominicans friends who belive in this but the are not familiar with the symbol on jewerly. They usually carry a prayer in their wallets with them.

I know in Europe is it well know.

I know I'm able to purchase this type of jewerly here in Toronto, but I've seen some great pieces from friends from other countires and wanted to know if it's available in the DR.

The reason I would like to purchase a piece of this type of jewerly in the DR is for a personal/spirtual reason.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
gonzaga said:
Hi,

I was just wondering if jewerly with the Evil Eye symbol can be purchased anywhere in the DR. I'm not sure if this is something that a lot of Dominicans believe in or if it has anything to do with the DR. I do have a couple of dominicans friends who belive in this but the are not familiar with the symbol on jewerly. They usually carry a prayer in their wallets with them.

I know in Europe is it well know.

I know I'm able to purchase this type of jewerly here in Toronto, but I've seen some great pieces from friends from other countires and wanted to know if it's available in the DR.

The reason I would like to purchase a piece of this type of jewerly in the DR is for a personal/spirtual reason.

The only "evil eye" that has to do with the DR, are the eyes of hurricanes that threaten this marvelous island every year between the months of June and November. No, the "evil eye symbol" is not native to the DR and is not a popular jewelry motif. However, there's a store nearby, in the Bella Vista Mall (first store left from the main entrance), that sells Indian, Arab, and North African jewelry and apparel accessories, many of then with the "evil eye symbol". If you miss it, just follow your nose, they also sell oriental incense...

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Mirador,

Thanks for your response. Have lots of those kind of stores in Toronto, everywhere!

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Just to clarify you are talking about the jewlery that is for Mal de Ojo?

In the DR there are two pieces you have to prevent mal de ojo, one is a fist made of black coral you could wear, put in your wallet, or keep with you at all times, the second is a round ball - that you could do the same with.

You can find them at jewelry stores, pharmacys and botanicas.