Moto rental/riding in RD

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Hey all,
Gonna be back soon and have previously rented a vehicle before but was wondering if I should rent a moto this time for a few days.
I know the roads and traffic are scary as it is but what do I do if the bike is stolen? Or if I do have an accident? The odds are higher I assume with a bike.

Reliable insurance? What should I expect to pay per day?

Any help would be great thx.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jrf said:
Hey all,
Gonna be back soon and have previously rented a vehicle before but was wondering if I should rent a moto this time for a few days.
I know the roads and traffic are scary as it is but what do I do if the bike is stolen? Or if I do have an accident? The odds are higher I assume with a bike.

Reliable insurance? What should I expect to pay per day?

Any help would be great thx.
If you are a true biker, then go for it.
If you just, "know how to drive", maybe you should pass.
It's hard to get full insurance plans.
It's up to you to be careful and see to the bike's security, and more importantly, drive safely.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Cool n thanks Rocky. I am no stranger to the bike. I've been in your place a few times but this time I will say hello.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jrf said:
Cool n thanks Rocky. I am no stranger to the bike. I've been in your place a few times but this time I will say hello.
Kool.
I can tell you about a few jungle rides around here, if you like to get down & dirty and see the real DR.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Please be forwarned that there have been times when a bike or scooter has been rented and quickly stolen from the renter thereby causing a lot of misery. There has been those that say the thief has had keys to said stolen bike when stolen giving an indication of an inside job. I have no proof of this as it is all heresay. Having said that then it is something to keep in mind if you should rent. As they don't have what I really call motorcycles here then it must be remembered how easy it is to steal a 70, 100 or 115cc bike.

Rick

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Rick,

That is exactly what I was thinking. I know I have read warnings before but was wondering how to deal with that problem if it did happen.
I almost think it may be good 'insurance' to buy a chain and lock-not that they couldn't carry it away.
And, no, they are not real bikes-but hey when in Rome.

Does anyone ride a bike (I mean 500cc or greater) in the RD? The roads are so horrendous I can't see not doing a face plant on the lovely RD asphalt/cement/gravel whatever is there for the day.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Every once in a while a troop of about 6 to 8 Harleys will pass through my neck of the woods and when they pass I just sit on the ground, shake my head and cry like a baby thinking about days gone by. I myself own a 115 Suzuki. Guy in Hato Mayor has a Honda 750 /4. Other then that I never see anything above a 115.

Rick

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Cry is right. Had a Kawasaki GP before. Oh well.

So, get a chain and lock? Good idea?

Average rate? I know there is a place in Batey but can't remember how much.

Ever ridden it from POP to Sto Domingo on a 115? (sorta joking)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
jrf said:
Cry is right. Had a Kawasaki GP before. Oh well.
I brought my Yamaha dragster down here.
380 lbs, 104 hp 20 valve Genesis engine, 0 - 60 mph in 2.7 seconds.
Had some fun with that.
Even the crotch rockets couldn't touch me, unless we found an area to exceed 145 mph.

jrf said:
So, get a chain and lock? Good idea?
Yup. Assuming you intend to chain it to something solid & unmovable, otherwise, just get your own padlock to lock the rear sprocket.

jrf said:
Average rate? I know there is a place in Batey but can't remember how much.
20 bucks, but can be negotitated down for longer term.

jrf said:
Ever ridden it from POP to Sto Domingo on a 115? (sorta joking)
I rode a Yam 100 from Barahona to Cabarete in 1 shot, 2 up, in 9 hours flat.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
As Rocky said, the chain to an unmovable item or the lock through the sprocket.

5 years ago I would make a monthly trip here from El Seybo to SD on my 110 Yamaha that I had at the time. Of course that is only 127 km each way but the Dominicans always thought I was crazy.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rick Snyder said:
5 years ago I would make a monthly trip here from El Seybo to SD on my 110 Yamaha that I had at the time. Of course that is only 127 km each way but the Dominicans always thought I was crazy.
No words could ever explain to those who have not done it, but there's no sensation on Earth, like the one when you jump on your bike and hit the road.
It's almost a religious experience.
You're out there with traffic all around you, yet you are all alone.
You can be deep in thought, humming a tune, or just sucking in the sights.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Wow,Rocky, my eyes are welling up with tears.

You gotta start writing for Harelquin.
Rocky-obviously the Dominicanos know ya well if they think ya crazy.
Thanks for the help-Rocky see ya in a few weeks.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Jrf you have it all wrong the Dominicans think, or know, I'm crazy. Rocky is one of the sanest people you will find.

Rick

Edited to add a Y

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Rick Snyder said:
Every once in a while a troop of about 6 to 8 Harleys will pass through my neck of the woods and when they pass I just sit on the ground, shake my head and cry like a baby thinking about days gone by. I myself own a 115 Suzuki. Guy in Hato Mayor has a Honda 750 /4. Other then that I never see anything above a 115.

Rick
I'm a motorcycle guy in the US, with a VTX1800C, a '69 Triumph T100C, and soon to have FLR1300AT. Not a Hardley in the pack.

I see crotch rockets from time to time in PoP, STI, and SDO. I can't figure where they ride those things the way they were intended to be ridden. A few Hardley's here and there, but rare.

I've stopped at the Magna Harley for a look-see, and was SHOCKED at the prices!!! US$30k for a V-Rod??? US$40k for a Softtail??? I know duties are high, but WTF?

I've had this vision of a kit that converts those 100cc Yamahahahaha and Suzuki 2 cycle motos to a semi-chopper....extended fork, banana seat with sissy bar, and funky exhaust...

I guess the basic poverty and gas prices keep common-sense 250cc bikes off the road for the average Dominican.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
cobraboy said:
I see crotch rockets from time to time in PoP, STI, and SDO. I can't figure where they ride those things the way they were intended to be ridden. A few Hardley's here and there, but rare.
I've gone on a lot of rides with those guys, with big bikes and had a blast.
There are lots of roads to have fun on.
The limiting factor is off road and short runs in town to run errands.
These bikes are big & heavy for running to the supermarket, and they often put out excessive heat from their radiators, so the ride is not very refreshing at low speeds.
If you want an everyday bike, it's better to look at a small bike or pasola.
A crotch rocket is another sport and isn't really for transport.
It's more like a big toy.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Rocky said:
I've gone on a lot of rides with those guys, with big bikes and had a blast.
There are lots of roads to have fun on.
The limiting factor is off road and short runs in town to run errands.
These bikes are big & heavy for running to the supermarket, and they often put out excessive heat from their radiators, so the ride is not very refreshing at low speeds.
If you want an everyday bike, it's better to look at a small bike or pasola.
A crotch rocket is another sport and isn't really for transport.
It's more like a big toy.
What do you ride down there?

I would think one of those big scooters like Honda and the other Jap bike mfg. build would be a good choice. Heck, they go up to 500cc's.

BTW-we've met a couple of times at your place. I'd hang with Don Tomas, Lou, and some of those guys. I don't spend much time in Sosua, especially since I don't fly the plane down there anymore...

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
39 years ago I got my first bike and it was a full dressed 1953 HD. 2 years latter I advanced up to a 1963 Electra Glide. Through the years I've owned a few different bikes but the one that I enjoyed the most for all around riding was my Honda 500 water cooled CBX.

Rick

Edited to add;

Wasn't a CBX it was the 2 cylinder horizontally opposed.