Where to donate supplies for school kids?

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hi everyone,

I will be heading to POP on July 15 and I have been collecting some items I'd like to give to a school. Books, pencils, erasers, crayons etc.
Can anyone suggest where I can drop these off?

It can either be a school in Sosua, Cabarete or POP as I will be around those areas.

Thank you! :)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Music said:
Hi everyone,

I will be heading to POP on July 15 and I have been collecting some items I'd like to give to a school. Books, pencils, erasers, crayons etc.

It can either be a school in Sosua, Cabarete or POP as I will be around those areas.

I'm not sure if they have summer school.
Unless it's industrial quantities, we could get them direct to local families with school kids.
If not, we could contact some local teachers who would gladly take them off your hands, like Dr. Bob, for example.

proudpeace

May 22, 2006
Music said:
Hi everyone,

Hi, We did this at Xmas and dropped them off at the Monster Trucks who run tours from Sosua, I think they are based in POP. They sponsor the local schools and are grateful for any donations.

You can find then at http://monstertrucksafari.com/

Hope this helps
:cheeky:

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
The following are Beyond the Beach dropoff locations on the North Coast:

Puerto Plata
Martin Espinal or staff (Jama or Maritza) at
Isaira Tours (across from Coral Marien and Iberostar in Costa Dorada).

Sosua
Colleen or Mark at
Checkpoint Pub & Sandwich Bar (behind PJ's).

Cabarete
DREAM Project, Main Street Cabarete.

Gregg

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
The wife and I are involved in the DREAM Project and it is a very good, audited
foundation with tremendous needs....all US tax deductible.
Office 'downtown' Cabarete, contact Jon, the ops director or heck, write me
back and I'll get the office number.....see DominicanDREAMproject.org ........ or something like that.
Sosua kids is also excellent.....see above. Don't know the others.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
A very fine school to visit

Music said:
Hi everyone,

It is right near the Air force Base next to La Union Intl Airport and it is a beautiful school that boasts of a 95% success rate of grads that go on to college. Grades from the little ones right up to adults still acheiving their dream of an education.

I donate to this school and have secured the donation of many computers to this school as well. It is a place I am proud of and I visit there often

For more info please PM me and I will gladly put you in touch with the right people for your tour.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Rocky said:
I'm not sure if they have summer school.
Unless it's industrial quantities, we could get them direct to local families with school kids.
If not, we could contact some local teachers who would gladly take them off your hands, like Dr. Bob, for example.

Rocky, we have been collecting school supplies and last year I dropped them off with someone who was taking the donations. I would actually like to give them to a local family if possible or a local teacher. That would be great. So when we get there, should I bring the supplies to your place or should I get in touch with you prior to our arrival?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
tarrantino said:
Rocky, we have been collecting school supplies and last year I dropped them off with someone who was taking the donations. I would actually like to give them to a local family if possible or a local teacher. That would be great. So when we get there, should I bring the supplies to your place or should I get in touch with you prior to our arrival?
Hey tarrantino.
I agree with you.
Getting them into the end user's hands, is the way to go.
If you could contact me before, to be sure I am available, it would be better, so we could go together.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
For Dominican Scotty,
Plx let me know which school in La Union.
Is it in Cangrego o La Union? I'm interested.
I have some small funds to conribute.
Generosity is genius I always say.
tflea

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I would not suggest giving supplies directly to a local teacher.
Give supplies to a reputable charity.....there are many, but
do your research first pplease.!
I could go on and on about the subject....but give to
DREAM or Sosua Kids is my take.........

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
The name of the school

tflea said:
For Dominican Scotty,
Plx let me know which school in La Union.
Is it in Cangrego o La Union? I'm interested.
I have some small funds to conribute.
Generosity is genius I always say.
tflea

Liceo 1ER. TTE. Piloto F.A.D.
Jose Ernesto Rosario Polanco

The school is named after a Dominican pilot who was killed in a training accident.

Contact me via a PM and I will provide you the contact information.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Summer school starts in July with lots of 'fun' activities like visits to Ocean World and other activities. Lots of 'volunteers' come donw for the summer season.

see above for places to drop money and supplies. they don't need toys, they need school supplies as described. excellent.

Sosua Gal

Jul 7, 2005
checkpointsosua.spaces.live.com
Sosua Kids

I have read the comments on this thread and think it's great so many charitable people are constantly arriving! It is nice to see.
For those that do not know what Sosua Kids is, we are a 100% non-profit organization that puts and keeps kids in schools from the area (Gaspar Hernandez to Puerto Plata). We started a few years ago with just a handful- last year we had 150 kids in school, up from 75 the year before thanks to a great year of monetary donations.
This year we hope to be up to about 180 or more.
The cost of putting a child in school for the year, which includes uniforms (shoes, socks, underwear and two full uniforms), and knapsack with all necessary school supplies is roughly $60.00 US.
All school supplies and knapsacks donated throughout the year are put together and distributed along with vouchers for the uniforms and handed out in late July or early August of each year. School starts early this year so we are already racing around to put things together.
This is a great organization and one that I have chosen to be involved with because I believe to make a difference in this country, education is key.
If anyone is interested in making a cash donation, sponsoring one child (or more), or dropping off school supplies, please do so at Checkpoint Pub, or The Britannia Pub.
For more information, e-mail me at checkpointsosua@gmail.comThanks for your generosity!
Sincerely,
Colleen
Sosua Kids

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
A great way to help

Colleen,

That is wonderful and this is a beautiful thread. It's nice to get away from the rubbish of sankies etc and actually post about positive things. I sponsor several children in the DR. One lives in Jamao al Norte and is finishing up highschool. Another is attending business school in Puerto Plata and the third is attending medical school at UTESA in Santiago. I wrote down your e mail address and would love to meet you when I am down. I plan to "try" to get down there for a sobrina's birthday party sometime in August.

It is commendable what you are doing and I would love to someday be part of this!

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Thanks for that Colleen I did send an email to someone else involved with sosua kids but havent received a reply yet, i'll be intouch.

Sosua Gal

Jul 7, 2005
checkpointsosua.spaces.live.com
Thanks!

Hi nickijay and DominicanScotty-
Thanks for both of your replies.
It's possible you had an old address for sosuakids, so I am sorry you did not get a reply!
Will look forward to meeting both of you.
Have a great summer!
Colleen