North Coast Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfly75

Jul 15, 2004
Hi! I'm heading out to DR on the 13th of next month and had this idea to check out the entire North Coast so we are starting in Monte Cristi and ending in Samana. I have a bunch of cool places but some questions...I lie, many questions. Is 7 days enough time to do the North Coast? Can someone...anyone give me info on the following places... In Monte Cristi, Isla Cabrita, Siete Hermanas, Mount Morro, Punta Rusia. In PUerto Plata, Rio Damajaqua. In Rio San Juan and Cabrera, what's the best beach and what about the Lagoon's, like Laguna Gri Gri and Blue Lagoon and Dudu. how do we get there and how much does a boat trip coast? I'm traveling with my fiance, and two children and want to avoid tours as much as posible, how much of this can we do by ourselves? I'm concerned about finding the places and the trails...are they clearly marked? Is it true that you can really find people by the entrance willing to guide you in? Oh and I'm not done...what about El Salto de Limon, the waterfall in Samana. I've read lots of info on going on horseback...does that work with a 4 yr old? Or should we hike it and if so how long does it take? We go hiking a lot and so he's used to it but that's here in the states, I just need some feedback so that I can know what to expect. So I still have more questions... Where to stay? Where to stay? Can anyone suggests hotels where we can get a good night's sleep to head out to our next adventure in Monte Cristi and somewhere between Rio San Juan and Samana...preferably closer to Samana. And how long is it from Rio San Juan to Samana? I really appreciate any information and if there is something that you think I should know or something you think I missed...HOOK IT UP!!! thanks so much!! I'll be there till the 30th so I can extend my North Coast trip... Oh yeah I just thought of something else...anyone know about rivers in Santiago...that's where I'll be staying and would like to know about local activities too. Thanks again! ;)

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
I am very interested in any suggestions you may get bfly75 as I'm going on the 19th of next month and am taking a 5 year old!!! LOL! I was pondering the horse thing too! I'm intending to go on quite a few of the outings Mel tours offer as they have an office in Sosua (where I'll be based) and noticed the word "horse" in one I have on my list...I kind of wonder whether a young child such as 4/5 would be placed on a horse with an adult or placed on one by themselves and told to hang on for dear life...I would imagine (unless they have somebody to guide such a horse) the former?? I don't know the answer but am banking on the first option myself...

I've never been to the DR before but if you're in Santiago Hillbilly suggested I go see the Centro Leon there.

Good luck with your trip - sounds an adventure! :)

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
North Coast MC to Samana

Unless you're planning on continual travelling -- without much layover time -- seven days might be ambitious for the entire North Coast.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Uhm, the North Coast in 7 days .. not a good plan unless you know the area real well and can go from activity to activity with no time lost in between. Choose an area of the North Coast, perhaps Puerto Plata to Samana and everything in between.

bfly75

Jul 15, 2004
Yeah I think I'm going to have to cut some places out or extend our trip. Sounds more like a 7 day marathon , lol!! We are still working out details. Thanks so much for feedback. Again...more info is greatly appreciated. What are must see's along the route?

Emma22 it was so nice to see that I'm not the only one with those concerns and if I get any info I'll pass it on. I was thinking I'd just ride with him and so I wanted to know what the terrain was like.[/FONT]

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
bfly75 said:
Oh and I'm not done...what about El Salto de Limon, the waterfall in Samana. I've read lots of info on going on horseback...does that work with a 4 yr old? Or should we hike it and if so how long does it take? We go hiking a lot and so he's used to it but that's here in the states, I just need some feedback so that I can know what to expect.
At small family farms along the Samana-Las Terrenas road you can hire mules and guides to go to the falls. I'm not sure how this would work with a 4 year old, but the guides are not extremely professional or particularly trained to do this with young children. The mules go at about walking pace, so maybe part of your group can hike and the rest go by mule, or you can all hike and ask a guide to show you the way. The trails are not marked, in general I don't think you can count on trails being marked in the DR. By mule it takes about 45 minutes each way, hiking will be about the same, maybe a bit more. The route is quite hilly, with pretty steep sections. This applies to the smaller 'paradas' renting out mules and guides closest to the falls. If you're coming from Las Terrenas and take the first places renting mules around the village of El Limon it talkes much longer, about two hours. You'd better continue a couple of kilometers further in the direction of Samana and take one of the paradas there. Check http://www.saltolimon.de/ for a map and other info.
bfly75 said:
So I still have more questions... Where to stay? Where to stay? Can anyone suggests hotels where we can get a good night's sleep to head out to our next adventure in Monte Cristi and somewhere between Rio San Juan and Samana...preferably closer to Samana. And how long is it from Rio San Juan to Samana?
Rio San Juan to Samana will be 2 - 3 hours by car. Las Terrenas is in between those and closer to Samana, and has lots of hotels, but it is quite far from Rio San Juan. Nagua is more in between, but I wouldn't know about accommodation there.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No, this cannot be done in seven(7) days.
Where will you be arriving? That is important.

HB

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
Hillbilly, as I was planning on doing your suggestion and visiting Santiago I have a question: One of Mel tours is a Santiago & Jarabacoa trip - go to Santiago and then on to a ranch in Jarabacoa, it says "from there ride by horse or Jeep to the waterfall where they filmed Jurrasssic Park". Surely that would be okay if it offers travel by Jeep instead of horse? - do you know of that tour - and if so would you rate it? AND: Would it be possible to go to Santiago myself do you think (and see the Centro Leon) and do the ranch bit of the tour alone? OR would it be wiser for me to go to Santiago twice - once to see the Central Leon and again on the tour mentioned? Thanks, Emma

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I agree with everyone that to do the north coast in seven days is ambitious to say the very least. Regarding La Cascada at El Limon, I recommend that you get a guide and rent a horse. I would not hike the entire trail up the mountain. If you carry a small child on your back, the horse ride up may be doable. However, the horses only take you so far and then you have to hike the last part of the trail to La Cascada. The trail gets pretty steep, so if you're not prepared for the hike with child on your back I would not venture it. Having said all that, the falls are wonderful and are worth the effort. Also, the proprietors of the horse stables provide a wonderful lunch after your trip up the mountain for only a few pesos more.

bfly75

Jul 15, 2004
Hey Hillbilly, ok so I arrive in Santiago. My fiance is from Santiago so he's more or less familiar with the the roads and when in doubt it seems like there is always someone around to help out. We've actually traveled from Puerto Plata to Samana (lost track of time when blocked by a huelga) but we've never done anything like this before (sooo excited ) and it's a first with the kids out of an all-inclusive resort so I'm going for a safe adventure :nervous: .

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I could have sworn that I posted something to you on this adventure.
1) Do Puerto Plata-> Samaná this time. You can spend a day or two in maybe three spots andhave plenty to do.
2) MUST SEE Ocean World. That is a whole day. You can do this based out of Santiago or Puerto Plata.
3) then you spend 1/2 a day in downtown Puerto Plata. See the old Fort, the Ambar Museum, eat ice cream at the little place in front of the park.
4) then off to Sosúa Beachfor the rest of the day (try and stay at Tropix that night).
5) Then down to Cabarete for the day of windsurfing--kids can take lessons, you guys can watch or try it, too! Sleep in Sosúa that night.
6) Then down the coast to Río San Juan and Laguna Grí Grí. A wonderful whole day.
That's four days-you've slept in Santiago and Sosúa. Now off to Samaná.
7) You can leave Rió San Juan mid afternoon and get to Las Terrenas. Spend a night in Las Terrenas, then over to the El Limón Falls.
8) Get to Las Galeras for night 6. you need the peace and quiet.
9) Get up early and go to Samaná and go to Cayo Levantado. Nice boat trip.
10) Drive back to Santiago from Samaná (31/2-4 hours).
Got to bed.

HB:D:D:D

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
HB that looks like a nice trip! I havent seen Ocean World yet and am seriously thinking about it for a day trip when i get there in 2 weeks!

bfly75

Jul 15, 2004
Your the best HB!! You all are!!! Thanks! I'm addicted now...tell me more! tell me more, lol! Seriously, thanks!

G

gary short

7...days......hell I'd head directly to Las Galeras...........chill..man.

Status
Not open for further replies.