Movies about Dominicans

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
I just saw a great Spanish (from Spain) movie and one of the main characters is Dominican. The movie is called 'Princesas' and it revolves around prostitution. It is really touching in a "real" sort of way, it is not a sappy love story but one of hardship, sacrifice, and friendship. Anyway I like the question of the other characters toward the Dominican, one example is when Caye (main character) introduces Zulema (Dominican played by Micaela Nev?rez) to her family, Cayes mother asks "what they eat and asks how far is DR" from Spain, Zulema replys "10 hours in plane" and Caye tells her mom "DR is not mars but in the Americas" and Cayes mother replys "the DR and Mars could be the same to me". It's funny how other people don't know anything about Dominicans.

I'm wondering are there other Spaniard or other nationalities producing movies with Dominican characters? It's the first time I see a non-Dominican movie with Dominican characters that are good (unlike Shaft w/ Samuel L. Jackson, Dominican druglord :tired: ). Have other Euro-nations featured Dominican characters in their movies (ie French movies, etc.)?

Peace,
Capo

Resolana

Jun 9, 2006
Another Movie

"Flores de Otro Mundo" is a beautiful Spanish movie which highlights Dominican women in Spanish culture. I highly recommend it - availalbe on video.

Lovelylocs

Mar 4, 2005
Resolana said:
"Flores de Otro Mundo" is a beautiful Spanish movie which highlights Dominican women in Spanish culture. I highly recommend it - availalbe on video.
What is it about? By Spanish culture, do u mean Spain?

Resolana

Jun 9, 2006
Flores en Espana

Yes - in Spain a small farming village of mostly bachelor men organizes an annual visit by a busload of women who might be interested in meeting the men of the village... It is really well done and shows a DOminican woman and her family and a Cuban woman along with others.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Thanks Resolana for the recommendation, I'll try to find it her in the states.... Does anybody else have other good movies with Dominicans characters?

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
I thought Washington Heights was pretty good. It obviously takes place in the Bronx, and deals with a young Dominican who wants to be a cartoon artist but has to help run his Dads Bodega when his Dad takes ill. It's a independent type film, and it has some story problems, but I think is worth seeing. Its on Netflix.

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
Come to think of it, Manito is another very independent type movie. I don't know if it specifically says that its dealing with Dominicans, but is the story of two brothers in NY. Also on Netflix, and not very polished, but again, I think its worth seeing.