Not DR related but I must share - long post - FRAUD

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I was driving around running errands this past saturday. I got a call on my cell phone (NYC) from someone by the name of Jennifer White (with a very thick Indian accent) from the IRS. Not sure at all how she got a hold of my cell phone number but this is what went down...

She said she was calling from the IRS because I was eligible to receive 5,000 dollars from the IRS because I have been paying my personal and property taxes on time. I said to her I always pay on time. Then she said exactly and the IRS is very grateful for this so we want to send you a check for $5,000. At this point I was like sure, whatever. Then I said what do I have to do? She said well...We will be fedexing the check to you and all you need to do is pay for the fedex fee which is $4.95. I said OK mail the check and do a COD (cash on delivery). This is the point when I figured this was some kind of fraud. She said I needed to provide her with my debit card/credit card number in order for fedex to bill my account the $4.95. I said YEAHHHH RIGHT!!! You are not getting my card number no matter what. Then she threw the $5,000 dollar check at my face saying but sir it's 5 grand and I said - listen sweet heart. Listen good. If the IRS wants to give me $5,000 tell then to deduct the $4.95 from the $5000 and mail me the check for $4995.05. She then said hold one moment so I can talk to my supervisor to see if this is possible. In the background I heard her speak hindi with other people. I know it was hindi because I have been to India and work with my counterparts in Bangalore on a daily basis. Then the supposed supervisor (also with thick Indian accent) came on the line and try the same routine - you have to pay with a card or we won't mail you a check.

At that point I said F this BS. I hung up. 5 minutes later the supervisor called again. I asked him when did the IRS outsource their work to India. He said I am not calling you from India. I'm calling you from Virginia look at the caller ID. I said yeah sure. You ever heard of voice over IP buddy? I have a Queens, NY number in Santiago, Dominican Republic. Then I told him that if I get another call from them I would report the number to the authorities. He hung up and I never heard back from him again.

God knows what they would have charged to my card if I would have given it to them. This crap happens to everyday people that are too damn gullible.

Be aware of this scam. Not sure if it's a new scam but this is the first time something like this ever happens to me.

Regards,
Alexander.