Malaria Risks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIG TED

Jul 6, 2006
Hi, we will be travelling to Costa Dorada in September and have been advised to take malaria tablets by our G.P. The first time we travelled to DR we took the tablets but found the side effects caused us problems. Can anyone please advise if it is really necessary to take these, and if it is, the best type to take to cause least side effects.

Many thanks

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
We have been numerous times to the north coast with no problems. That said, we had a friend who worked at Jack Tar and lived at another Occidental Hotel in PD. Last Christmas he bacame ill with malaria and wound up in a Santiago Hospital. Very unusual but it can happen.

Jostan

Jun 17, 2006
Never heard of malaria on the north coast, sometimes there are SOME cases of malaria in Punta Cana, altough I doubt these cases will be enough to describe a malaria drug, as you sad the malaria drug can have some very bad side effects and they normally only prescribe it if it's really necessary (for example if you stay les then 3/4 days in a malaria area, then they dont prescribe malaria pills)
As far as I know, there is only malaria (on a consistent basis) in the middle of the DR, close to the border with Haiti (small area).
Here in Holland they dont advice you to take malaria pills for the DR, unless you go to that area (but hardly anybody is going there, it's not a tourist place)

But DO you use insect repellent, with 30% DEET, especially during sunset, also try to cover your feet/ankles by this time.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
BIG TED said:
Hi, we will be travelling to Costa Dorada in September and have been advised to take malaria tablets by our G.P. The first time we travelled to DR we took the tablets but found the side effects caused us problems. Can anyone please advise if it is really necessary to take these, and if it is, the best type to take to cause least side effects.

Many thanks

If you still have doubts, consult a doctor that "specializes in travel medicine". The medic will know if it is really necessary to prescribe anti-malaria medication. It will based on the region you are traveling and a medication with the least side-effects that will suit you should he/she advise use.

Regards,
PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
44 years and counting

I have lived in Mao, Sosúa, Santo Domingo and Santiago for long, extended periods of time, with and without mosquito netting. (With in Mao, without in Sosúa, Santiago, and Santo Domingo).

No medicine. No malaria. I do use some sort of bug repellant when I/we go golfing.

When i was in agriculture, i used long sleeved shirts.

No, I would not recommend taking medicine for a short stay. Not even in Monte Cristi, IF you can stay sprayed or covered in sunscreen....

In the morning and evening the bug repellant is needed around the ankles and the backs of arms.

Enjoy your fun in the sun!!.

HB :D:D:D:D

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Some of us are much "sweeter" then others. I never leave the house with out my "od de deet" applied to exposed skin. Still get a couple of bites, but not too bad. Don't take meds. It is really not a problem.

Bob K

BIG TED

Jul 6, 2006
BIG TED said:

Many thanks

Thanks to everyone who replied, we've taken your comments on board and have decided not to take the malaria tablets.

Here's to a great holiday.

Big Ted

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Hillbilly said:
Eau de Deet: Maybe we can get a copyright on it!!

Golf? Call?

Hello??

HB :D:D

Sounds like a good idea to me. Currently back in the states but will be there full time starting august 14th. Golf for sure.

Bob K

Status
Not open for further replies.