Dominican impressions of rigged election allegations in MX?

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Please bear with me; this is RD-related.

I am in North America this week with all the hupla about whether or not the Mexican vote should be recounted and so on.

I am wondering what the perception of it is in the RD. What is the word on the street?

Do people believe that the election was rigged, and oh well, what can you do?

Is anyone in the RD watching and naively hoping the MX election will be over-turned?

Or do people just not care/talk about it much?

Thank you for your feedback. I always find it interesting to contrast and compare the local RD view of world events and the impressions we get in other countries. Thank you, Sam

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
As a student of LA politics and history, I feel the Mexican IFE came out as extremely proffesional and competent, at least by Latin American standards. DR has a lot to envy.

Last edited:

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
I don't live in the DR, but my opinion is that this was Mexico's most transparent and competitive elections. There were national and foreign observers and they all agreed they saw no irregularities. Also, all the votes were counted by and in front of representatives from all political parties and no one had any objections, so they signed the acts. Lopez Obrador does not want to accept defeat and believes there is a chance, if enough pressure is applied, to overturn the results. IT's funny he is not disputing the parallel congresional elections, which gave his party second place both in Senate and the House. He is just objecting to the presidential outcome. He is trying to convince public opinion that there was fraud. He knows that in this world perception is reality. The European Union said there was no fraud, other international observers stated the same thing. Now Obrador is even accusing Vicente Fox of being a "traitor to democracy". I think Lopez Obrador is a dangerous demagogue who wants to be prsident no matter what. Anyway, it will be for Federal Electoral Tribunal do decide. Obrador's people are hoping, and they have said so publicly, that the Tribunal gets "creative" and finds a reason to do what Obrador is requesting. They are betting on a favorable "interpretation of the law". In order to achieve that, they, Obrador and his people, are capable of doing almost anything, from private pressure on the judges to the use of street protests, under the table bribery etc. That is the way I see it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In the DR this is a total non-issue!

Outside of some front page stories during the counting process, nobody gives a hoot what happens in Mexico...

HB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Dominicans don't really care about this...

Experts said that this was Obrador's election to lose and he did through complacency and misteps such as refusing to participate in a public debate. He was way ahead in the polls a few months back. He's done...