Moving to DR in November Need Any Advice

ashleyharalson

Jul 11, 2006
:ermm: Hello. I am moving to the Dominican Republic at the end of the year to Puerto Plata area from the United States. Can anyone please give me any advice or tips on moving to DR. Also what forms will need to be filled out, and fees to move there? I am clueless any advice helps :ermm: thank you!

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
hi ashley, you should use the search feature on the site as it's very good as fifty million people have asked the same questions. enjoy DR and don't let you b/f take all your money. good luck

antoni

Jul 17, 2006
hey ashley,

are you a u.s. citizen? will you be applying for residency there or citizenship? where are you going to live? will you be working for a company over there or putting your own?
having the right connections could make all the difference in the world. how much stuff are you taking over there clothing , furniture etc?

you don't want to over do it. theres alot of great stuff you can pick up over there. sell your stuff in the u.s. and buy in d.r.
i'll be doing what you're doing in 5 to 7 years

take care and good luck,
toni

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Am just going through the move now, ask away

I just closed on a house in Sosua and will be moving perminately in the middle of August.

I have tons of information if you'd like to PM me or just ask on the board.

Here're the generic rules to play by when planning your move:

1) Finances: Make sure that you have a secure income prior to moving. Do NOT depend on working for someone in the DR and being able to make a living wage.

2) Living: buying or leasing. Everyone on the board will advise you to rent for awhile before making the leap and buying a place. I agree.

3) Moving: the DR government allows you to import for free one container up to 40 feet. The goods in the container must be 'used' or look that way. There are a lot of restrictions on this and I would recommend that you research what you're bringing in to the country before packing.

The above 'free' container can only be brought in after you have applied for a 'cedula' (green card in the U.S.). The 'cedula' doesn't have to be issued, just applied for. To get the 'cedula' you'll need to hire a good attorney and the cost is around $1500 - $1600USD.

4) Pets: You're allowed to bring dogs and cats in to the country with no quarantine. You will have to provide proper documentation at time of arrival.

5) Register with the American embassy. Repeat: Register at the American Embassy upon arrival. (assuming you are American) You want to do this just in case something happens like an accident or someone from your home country reports that you've gone missing.

6) Take out 'emergency evacuation insurance' prior to your arriving in the DR. There are many companies that sell this insurance and it could literally save your life. The one I like is: www.travelinsure.com

Most of this information is listed on the site, but again I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Regards,
Jack

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Jackieboo

jackieboo said:
I just closed on a house in Sosua and will be moving perminately in the middle of August.

I have tons of information if you'd like to PM me or just ask on the board.

Here're the generic rules to play by when planning your move:

1) Finances: Make sure that you have a secure income prior to moving. Do NOT depend on working for someone in the DR and being able to make a living wage.

2) Living: buying or leasing. Everyone on the board will advise you to rent for awhile before making the leap and buying a place. I agree.

3) Moving: the DR government allows you to import for free one container up to 40 feet. The goods in the container must be 'used' or look that way. There are a lot of restrictions on this and I would recommend that you research what you're bringing in to the country before packing.

The above 'free' container can only be brought in after you have applied for a 'cedula' (green card in the U.S.). The 'cedula' doesn't have to be issued, just applied for. To get the 'cedula' you'll need to hire a good attorney and the cost is around $1500 - $1600USD.

4) Pets: You're allowed to bring dogs and cats in to the country with no quarantine. You will have to provide proper documentation at time of arrival.

5) Register with the American embassy. Repeat: Register at the American Embassy upon arrival. (assuming you are American) You want to do this just in case something happens like an accident or someone from your home country reports that you've gone missing.

6) Take out 'emergency evacuation insurance' prior to your arriving in the DR. There are many companies that sell this insurance and it could literally save your life. The one I like is: www.travelinsure.com

Most of this information is listed on the site, but again I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Regards,
Jack
Where did you get the info from #3 you listed as advice to the post?

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY TO THE BENEFITS OF THE LAWS 14-93 & 168
(Revised August/2005)
PLEASE CAREFULLY READ ALL THE CONTENT OF THIS DOCUMENT
- The law establishes an exoneration to the import of home & personal goods, as well as job & professional equipment, belonging to foreign people coming to definitively reside in the country, and to dominicans that have resided out of the country for two (2) or more consecutive years and return to establish the definitive residence in the country.
- The benefit of these Laws is given only once in lifetime.
- To become establish your permanent residence in the Dominican Republic.
- If you are Dominican, you have to demonstrate you have lived for more than two (2) consecutive years in another country (Dominicans and foreigners).
- Also not having stayed in the country for more than six (6) months during the last two (2) years (consecutive or not).
- If you are foreign, to present your Original Residence Card or a Certification from Migration Authorities saying it is in process.
- Your actual Passport shall have a minimum of two (2) years of being issued. If not, then your previous canceled passport will be required.
- The Bill of Lading or Air Waybill shall be consigned to your name.
- Letter of Matrimony, if married, or Divorce Letter (Original).
- To issue a Consular Invoice at the Dominican Consulate that corresponds to your area.
- Copy of your Dominican ID Card (Cedula)
If you are bringing a vehicle:
- It is PROHIBITED to import vehicles with more than 5 years of age. Any vehicle that brakes this rule will be confiscated.
- Only ONE (1) vehicle can be exonerated.
- The exoneration of vehicles is partial (approx. 60% discount)
- If married, each one has the right to import ONE vehicle.
- Motorcicles, 4wheels, etc., are considered vehicles, and will not be exonerated
if you also bring a car.
- You have to wait three (3) years to be able to sell the vehicle. Customs Inspectors may surprisingly visit you to verify that.
- Original of the Vehicle?s Title
- Title?s Record stamped by the Dominican Consulate
- The Bill of Lading or Air Waybill shall be consigned to the owner of the vehicle.
- Proof that vehicle has been in your possession for not less than one (1) year.
- To present the Vehicle?s Registrations (New & Old, or official certifications of them).
- Record of the last three (3) registrations (stamped by the Dominican Consulate)
- Original Drivers License from the country where you lived.
ADDITIONAL RECOMENDATIONS
- Stamp ALL documents at the Dominican Consulate
- IT IS PROHIBITED TO SHIP DANGEROUS GOODS (FLAMMABLE GASES/LIQUIDS, EXPLOSIVES, TOXIC OR RADIOACTIVE ARTICLES, ETC.). YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE OF ANY DAMAGES THAT OCCUR TO PEOPLE AND PROPERTIES IF THIS WARNING IS IGNORED.
- IT IS PROHIBITED TO SHIP FOOD OF ANY KIND, MEDICINES OR ANY OTHER REGULATED PRODUCT. IT MAY BE CONFISCATED IF DO NOT HAVE THE CORRESPONDENT IMPORT PERMIT.
- Pack in the same box only articles of the same nature. Example: put in different boxes clothing, kitchen articles, paintings, books, etc. Do not mix them.
- Identify each box with a number and prepare a full packing list with the content of each box. You must declare an estimated value in US Dollars for each item.
- The packing list shall list separately each electric appliance, since these CAN NOT be declared globally. YOU HAVE TO DETAIL these. If you bring more that one unit of a particular appliance, only will be exonerated the quantity that Customs consider reasonable. (By example: if you bring more than three TVs, then maybe three will be exonerated and the rest will pay duties).
- Clearly specify if each article is NEW or USED, and the estimated value in US dollars.
- Power Generators, Construction Materials, or any other item that is not considered as part of your personal belongings by Customs, will not be exonerated.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Jackieboo

jackieboo said:
REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY TO THE BENEFITS OF THE LAWS 14-93 & 168
(Revised August/2005)
PLEASE CAREFULLY READ ALL THE CONTENT OF THIS DOCUMENT
- The law establishes an exoneration to the import of home & personal goods, as well as job & professional equipment, belonging to foreign people coming to definitively reside in the country, and to dominicans that have resided out of the country for two (2) or more consecutive years and return to establish the definitive residence in the country.
- The benefit of these Laws is given only once in lifetime.
- To become establish your permanent residence in the Dominican Republic.
- If you are Dominican, you have to demonstrate you have lived for more than two (2) consecutive years in another country (Dominicans and foreigners).
- Also not having stayed in the country for more than six (6) months during the last two (2) years (consecutive or not).
- If you are foreign, to present your Original Residence Card or a Certification from Migration Authorities saying it is in process.
- Your actual Passport shall have a minimum of two (2) years of being issued. If not, then your previous canceled passport will be required.
- The Bill of Lading or Air Waybill shall be consigned to your name.
- Letter of Matrimony, if married, or Divorce Letter (Original).
- To issue a Consular Invoice at the Dominican Consulate that corresponds to your area.
- Copy of your Dominican ID Card (Cedula)
If you are bringing a vehicle:
- It is PROHIBITED to import vehicles with more than 5 years of age. Any vehicle that brakes this rule will be confiscated.
- Only ONE (1) vehicle can be exonerated.
- The exoneration of vehicles is partial (approx. 60% discount)
- If married, each one has the right to import ONE vehicle.
- Motorcicles, 4wheels, etc., are considered vehicles, and will not be exonerated
if you also bring a car.
- You have to wait three (3) years to be able to sell the vehicle. Customs Inspectors may surprisingly visit you to verify that.
- Original of the Vehicle?s Title
- Title?s Record stamped by the Dominican Consulate
- The Bill of Lading or Air Waybill shall be consigned to the owner of the vehicle.
- Proof that vehicle has been in your possession for not less than one (1) year.
- To present the Vehicle?s Registrations (New & Old, or official certifications of them).
- Record of the last three (3) registrations (stamped by the Dominican Consulate)
- Original Drivers License from the country where you lived.
ADDITIONAL RECOMENDATIONS
- Stamp ALL documents at the Dominican Consulate
- IT IS PROHIBITED TO SHIP DANGEROUS GOODS (FLAMMABLE GASES/LIQUIDS, EXPLOSIVES, TOXIC OR RADIOACTIVE ARTICLES, ETC.). YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE OF ANY DAMAGES THAT OCCUR TO PEOPLE AND PROPERTIES IF THIS WARNING IS IGNORED.
- IT IS PROHIBITED TO SHIP FOOD OF ANY KIND, MEDICINES OR ANY OTHER REGULATED PRODUCT. IT MAY BE CONFISCATED IF DO NOT HAVE THE CORRESPONDENT IMPORT PERMIT.
- Pack in the same box only articles of the same nature. Example: put in different boxes clothing, kitchen articles, paintings, books, etc. Do not mix them.
- Identify each box with a number and prepare a full packing list with the content of each box. You must declare an estimated value in US Dollars for each item.
- The packing list shall list separately each electric appliance, since these CAN NOT be declared globally. YOU HAVE TO DETAIL these. If you bring more that one unit of a particular appliance, only will be exonerated the quantity that Customs consider reasonable. (By example: if you bring more than three TVs, then maybe three will be exonerated and the rest will pay duties).
- Clearly specify if each article is NEW or USED, and the estimated value in US dollars.
- Power Generators, Construction Materials, or any other item that is not considered as part of your personal belongings by Customs, will not be exonerated.
Thank You ..That was some of the best info posted here on DR1 recently.I'm sure you just helped dozens of poople with your answer..Me especially...I am only bringing a Harley Davidson worth $18,000USD so my tax will be about what? You mentioned discounted 60%..This part I don't understand...The bike is 2005..Unfortunatly my car is a 2000 so thats out of the question..The rest will be household goods..3 TV's to be exact and one washing machine as far as appliances go..Plus a stereo..All used...

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Theory vs. Reality

Sounds all very nice.
Do the Dominicans know those cited regulations?
And if so, will they bother?
Well....

m'frog

P.S.:
All right, things might have changed since I came to this country with a 40 ft container.
A lot of people say that it did.
To the worse, however.

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
Harley

Not sure what the tax should be on your motorcycle, but at the end of this post I've listed the way the customs officer is 'supposed' to use to calculate the taxes.

Use a reputable shipper that has a rep in the DR. I recommend Andre Santana in Santo Domingo. I know several people that have used him and he is a straight shooter. If you'd like his number and e-mail just let me know.

Since I live in Arizona Andre couldn't arrange a container for me, but he recommended a company out of California and he's handling the customs and transfer of the goods once they reach the DR.

Here's the calculation and a web site to calculate car taxes. They don't have motorcycles on the site from what I've been able to see. I used the figure of $20,000 as a 'motor vehicle' to calculate the following. the estimate below is $389920.10RD -or- $12,185.00USD @ 32 to 1.

To calculate the 60% off = take 693808x.40 = 277523.20 x .36% = 99908.35
$99908.35 + 117947.36 = $217855.71 -or- $6808USD @ 32 2 1

US$ RD$
Fob : 20,000.00 659,200.00
Seguro : 400.00 13,184.00
Flete : 650.00 21,424.00
Cif : 21,050.00 693,808.00

Gravamen : 138,761.60 20.00 %
Selectivo : 0.00
Itbis : 133,211.14 16.00 %
Recargo : 0.00 0.00 %
Placa/Marbete/Servicio : 117,947.36
Estimado Impuestos a Pagar : 389,920.10

Web site for car calculations -

http://www.dga.gov.do/portal.net/defaultdesktop.aspx?tabid=32

Confused? Think how a customs officer with a 3rd grade education feels...
Jack

jackieboo

Mar 18, 2006
m'frog makes a good point, that's why it's VERY important to use a reputable shipper.

And yes m'frog things have changed a lot. Now you have computer documentation to back up any customs abuse. Not that that'll help, but with a good shipper that can do some name dropping it really helps.

Jack

mountainfrog said:
Sounds all very nice.
Do the Dominicans know those cited regulations?
And if so, will they bother?
Well....

m'frog

P.S.:
All right, things might have changed since I came to this country with a 40 ft container.
A lot of people say that it did.
To the worse, however.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
great info on this thread, but PLEASE be aware that what is written does not necessary apply when you get down to DR. good luck!

ashleyharalson

Jul 11, 2006
antoni said:
hey ashley,

are you a u.s. citizen? will you be applying for residency there or citizenship? where are you going to live? will you be working for a company over there or putting your own?
having the right connections could make all the difference in the world. how much stuff are you taking over there clothing , furniture etc?

you don't want to over do it. theres alot of great stuff you can pick up over there. sell your stuff in the u.s. and buy in d.r.
i'll be doing what you're doing in 5 to 7 years

take care and good luck,
toni
Hello sorry it took so long to get back to you I have not been on in a while...
to answer your questions..
I am a US citizen
I would like to apply for citizenship (but residency is ok as well)
I am looking at the Puerto Plata area mostly Cabaret
I am looking to work for Century 21 and my boyfriend plans to open a restaurant/bar
I do not currently have any connections but I am looking :)
and we dont plan to take anything really... we want to start fresh

thanks talk with you soon

Ashley Rose

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
I have the phone #

After a fews hours of calls I was able to get the phone number in Santo Domingo of the TAX office who gives prices on vehicles/motorcycles...809-549-5300...But as expected the guy is never in ..only got to talk to the secretary who don't know....He's probably on vacation spending the money he extorted from guys like me...

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
mikeo1313

Thanks for answering a post that is 5 months old...
Jack gave me the much needed info when it was needed back in July..
After realizing that it wasn't worth paying the tax I went and sold the Harley.
There was no way I was paying so much for the duty..I realize you were trying to help but I guess you did not take notice of the posting date as being July 20,2006....

Feliz Navidad..........ZAK

PabloPaul

Dec 21, 2006
www.myspace.com
Hey man,
I've actually heard of good deals down there on specialty items such as harleys, due to the fact there's more of a limited market for resale of such items. Therefore, way better plan to just buy one down there. Not getting killed on the crazy roads is another story.

ron-anejo

Dec 17, 2006
buy your harley there!!!

Hola,
I used to have a shop in canada, I looked at bikes (HARLEYS) in the DR.
You can buy them reasonable down there.
There is a HD dealer in the capital, They did have another shop in Santiago .
They closed it down.
The guy across from (forgot his name, used ride motocross) the police station in Sosua who sells cars etc. had a HD
I looked at a 2000 nighttrain , good shape. And he was asking $400.000rd for it.
I saw shovel heads for $200.000rd, so there are deals.
I rode for 5 years in the DR just not on Semana Santa!!!
cuidate